National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I think people are trying to point out the obvious and saying that if it was failing in Nottingham then why would moving it to Sheffield save it and make it a success, as it will still be reliant  on funding. But as always time will tell.

It wasn't failing in Nottingham, they moved because they needed more space.

According to research.. cough.. It was almost close to closing in 2016  due to financial difficulties but was bailed out and the National Videogame Foundation was then launched. It moved to Sheffield apparently because the building it was in was costly and too hard to maintain and not just because of more space.

Additional info for those who like research!

The Castle House project has been funded with over £3 million granted to SCC by the DCMS with £3 million put into a deal with SCC and the regeneration company U+I. U+I who owns the building has appointed  Sheffield based Kollider Projects as the delivery partner for the facility.

Guest busdriver1
On 11/27/2018 at 9:35 AM, Locksley said:

What? Just because you only know 1 person who plays video games doesn't mean it's unpopular, that's ridiculous. I only know 1 person who goes to the gym therefore clearly nobody else does so why do we need all these gyms?! 

Also, apart from the fact it's been open a grand total of 3 days, tickets for the opening weekend sold out fast so I don't know where your comment about people apparently not visiting comes from.

Unlike some, I quote from my experience alone. As for the first 3 days being sold out, well of course they are. A new venue to the area will attract a good response in its first few days. The attendance in a years time will be a better indicator. 

I do honestly wish it well but think we need to keep our feet on the ground here.

Looking forward to visit! Have been interested since the announcement was made, I think this is a great addition to a city that is promoting digital culture as a flagbearer for the future. Even if this place inspires only ten future game developers it will be a win.

36 minutes ago, tzijlstra said:

Looking forward to visit! Have been interested since the announcement was made, I think this is a great addition to a city that is promoting digital culture as a flagbearer for the future. Even if this place inspires only ten future game developers it will be a win.

I , unlike You...Am NOT looking forward to 'Visit'.  !   Flagbearers  for the future?   

Future Game Developers ?.....!

Can you just walk in and look around or is there an admission charge , i worked in that part of Castle House.

1 hour ago, alexander874 said:

Can you just walk in and look around or is there an admission charge , i worked in that part of Castle House.

£11 charge. Apparently done the old build8ng some good

Can’t wait to visit, sounds great. Planning to go this week. Have to agree though 11£ does seem a bit steep.

Cant wait to renew my acquaintance ( addiction) to Asteroids, used to love it back in the day

Planning a visit tomorrow, after first visiting the Pour Bar in Heeley. Proper cultural day.  

J'attends avec impatience

On 11/28/2018 at 8:17 PM, FinBak said:

I , unlike You...Am NOT looking forward to 'Visit'.  !   Flagbearers  for the future?   

An industry worth £2.5 billion a year, well over 20,000 jobs in the UK. That is prior to the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 which has already sold 17 million copies, just for consoles, at £50 each (nearing £1 billion in sales).

That means Red Dead Redemption 2 has added more to the UK coffers than the entire record label industry on its own. You keep watching Corrie, whilst the young'uns get on with things they find interesting, is that alright sir?

Edited by tzijlstra

On 11/28/2018 at 8:17 PM, FinBak said:

Don't go then.

And yes, Future Game Developers.  Maybe you should have a look at how much revenue Rockstar games makes and how many staff they employ.  Incidentally, they're hiring right now in Leeds.

so am i right to believe SCC with no money put in cash to put this project on? or have i misread whats been said,if they havent fine,if they have thats not fine.