National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

In spite of some on here knocking it before they've been, I'm looking forward to going to it. Hopefully it'll kick start the regeneration of that area

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

In spite of some on here knocking it before they've been, I'm looking forward to going to it. Hopefully it'll kick start the regeneration of that area

I have no intention of visiting a retro videogame museum unless I can sit at an old-fashioned tennis or breakout table and drink a pint. I hope it is successful but the idea that it will kick start regeneration is pants. Its a common phrase used when something like this happens and as with many other projects that have meant to do the same it also will rely on funding which as yet is still forthcoming.

Good luck to them. The ones by the seaside are now full of slot machines and 2p machines and none of the old favourites. I very rarely venture into the city centre but that might tempt me.

Hope the floors are authentically  sticky!

42 minutes ago, apelike said:

I have no intention of visiting a retro videogame museum unless I can sit at an old-fashioned tennis or breakout table and drink a pint. I hope it is successful but the idea that it will kick start regeneration is pants. Its a common phrase used when something like this happens and as with many other projects that have meant to do the same it also will rely on funding which as yet is still forthcoming.

you haven't a clue about the organisation or it's aims, or funding have you? 

37 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Good luck to them. The ones by the seaside are now full of slot machines and 2p machines and none of the old favourites. I very rarely venture into the city centre but that might tempt me.

Hope the floors are authentically  sticky!

it's not just an amusement arcade, they have exhibitions and guests etc 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

it's the usual story on here, just endless moaning

A brand new shiny website but its good to see the old fashioned SF mentality goes on strong....

The same old faithful filling up the threads whinging about "....how nothing ever comes to Sheffield..."  and "....this city is always behind xxx..." and right on cue as soon as something does get built here we get ".....waaa its too expensive...."    "....waaa it costs money to enter"   "waaa..... it wont change anything"  "waaa...it looks rubbish (even though I have never set foot in the place)"   

Honestly, makes you wonder why do they bother.     Build a wall around the boundary and leave it to fester along with its rose tinted dinosaurs mourning the days of the great works and Castle Kiosk selling its fags and papers. 

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

A brand new shiny website but its good to see the old fashioned SF mentality goes on strong....

The same old faithful filling up the threads whinging about "....how nothing ever comes to Sheffield..."  and "....this city is always behind xxx..." and right on cue as soon as something does get built here we get ".....waaa its too expensive...."    "....waaa it costs money to enter"   "waaa..... it wont change anything"  "waaa...it looks rubbish (even though I have never set foot in the place)"   

Honestly, makes you wonder why do they bother.     Build a wall around the boundary and leave it to fester along with its rose tinted dinosaurs mourning the days of the great works and Castle Kiosk selling its fags and papers. 

Succinctly put, it's like King Canute and the tide sometimes...

People whinge about nothing coming here, and when something DOES come here, what do we get? - more whinging ...

Edited by Wazzock

Looks great, can't wait to visit. 

Seriously Sheffield is a great place to visit. A safe city, with a vibrant visitors scene. Kelham island seems to get better and better every week.

People like to moan, but don't worry, no-one's listening :)

12 hours ago, bassett one said:

as i say ,all we are getting is another citys loser,titanic by may 2020

Well you do support another « loser » that keeps going ! Just.😊

Can’t wait to visit, sounds great. Planning to go this week. Have to agree though 11£ does seem a bit steep.

Cant wait to renew my acquaintance ( addiction) to Asteroids, used to love it back in the day

Guest busdriver1

Whilst I have no understanding of the interest in these games, I see it as a very small step towards getting people in small numbers to come to Sheffield. I would actually rate this as a stronger pull for the city than the well worn "its close to the peak district" reason that gets rolled out with monotonous regularity. At least this is actually in Sheffield. 

Would I go? No. but I dont go to the peak district either.

Complaints its in the castle market area and should be on the moor? What can we say? Have a look at rents on the moor. Have a look at rents in the castle market area. Offer to bridge the gap for them and I am sure they will entertain the idea.

This is like it or not a marginal or lower interest enterprise. You get it where they think they can make it sustainable or you dont get it. Simple.

I think it's a bloody excellent addition to the city, it was hugely successful in Nottingham, we had a blast when me and my partner visited a couple of years back. £11 is nothing to go and play a crap-ton of games to your heart's content. As someone else pointed out, you can barely go to the cinema to see a single film for that price, and I'm sure the people moaning on here wouldn't think twice about spending £11 on a few drinks down the pub.