National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

so am i right to believe SCC with no money put in cash to put this project on? or have i misread whats been said,if they havent fine,if they have thats not fine.

No you are wrong as the Castle House Project where the museum is housed is funded by a grant from the DCMS, The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport and SCC are in charge of the money and administer it.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

so am i right to believe SCC with no money put in cash to put this project on? or have i misread whats been said,if they havent fine,if they have thats not fine.

It does beg some questions though.. Is a full rent charged? Is it discounted? Is it free?

On 11/30/2018 at 6:21 AM, tzijlstra said:

An industry worth £2.5 billion a year, well over 20,000 jobs in the UK. That is prior to the release of Red Dead Redemption 2 which has already sold 17 million copies, just for consoles, at £50 each (nearing £1 billion in sales).

That means Red Dead Redemption 2 has added more to the UK coffers than the entire record label industry on its own. You keep watching Corrie, whilst the young'uns get on with things they find interesting, is that alright sir?

I don't watch tv.!  TV these days is a control medium, aimed at keeping people 'Busy', with box sets and the like. So they don't have the time to get out there and riot over poor wages and increasing living costs and taxes.  If that wasn't bad enough there are people who ACTUALLY PAY for the stuff they watch on tv..!!

Edited by FinBak

3 hours ago, FinBak said:

I don't watch tv.!  TV these days is a control medium, aimed at keeping people 'Busy', with box sets and the like. So they don't have the time to get out there and riot over poor wages and increasing living costs and taxes.  If that wasn't bad enough there are people who ACTUALLY PAY for the stuff they watch on tv..!!

Good god.      I dont think even the big Tesco stocks enough tin foil for the amount of hats your wearing.

9 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Good god.      I dont think even the big Tesco stocks enough tin foil for the amount of hats your wearing.

I'm right though.......Aren't i..😉

Edited by FinBak

Seen a lot of moaning and arguing on here but has anyone actually been and can review whats its like, thanks.

Without sounding negative this venture has failure written all over it. For a start it’s located in Sheffield and in a less than desirable part of town too. At a cost of £11 it will have to be very good to tempt the Punters. This place won’t be open for long. If it failed in a vibrant City like Nottingham it really won’t take off in Sheffield. 

10 hours ago, trainwalker said:

Without sounding negative this venture has failure written all over it. For a start it’s located in Sheffield and in a less than desirable part of town too. At a cost of £11 it will have to be very good to tempt the Punters. This place won’t be open for long. If it failed in a vibrant City like Nottingham it really won’t take off in Sheffield. 

This is getting tedious now. IT DID NOT FAIL!!!

10 hours ago, trainwalker said:

It's hard to disagree.  It almost folded in 2016, and it's move to Angel Street hints at desperation.  A terrible part of town that noone goes to if they can avoid it.  It's a shame.  In the right part of town it might have stood a chance, but not down there.

5 minutes ago, Wazzock said:

5 minutes ago, Wazzock said:

It almost folded in 2016 after running out of money.  Ok it got extra investment, but it doesn't seem like an outfit capable of paying its own way.

Really looking forward to seeing this over Xmas. Any advice on cool things to see that a noobie might not notice?

On 12/1/2018 at 7:52 PM, FinBak said:

I'm right though.......Aren't i..

get back ont tother forum thee

I went on Sunday. Really good fun, with lots and lots of things to do. Almost everything is interactive, and very little is behind glass or out of reach. My friend and I spent three hours here, went for lunch, then came back for another three hours. It was very much worth the £11 entry fee, and I definitely plan to go back. The staff were great, giving advice and talking about the exhibits. And it definitely wasn't just 'a load of computer games'. I didn't try the cafe so can't comment on that. Admittedly it's only been open a couple of weeks but it seemed nice and busy. 

As for people moaning that it's not in the nicest part of town, it's literally 100m from the main shopping street, and tbh the only way to improve the area is with regeneration projects like this. 

I was a little unsure about it before I went, but it was great fun, I'll definitely be going back and I'm sure it's here to stay. 

My son and miss went and said it was crap for £20 and will not go again .its advertised as retro gaming there was nothing retro about it they both very upset .. There's a free one once month at crooks they will continue to support that one