National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

still cannot see this working in sheffield,to many expenses in my opinion

Other than food, drink and entry, what costs are there? 

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Other than food, drink and entry, what costs are there? 

Non !

Guest busdriver1
7 hours ago, Wazzock said:

The Videogames industry was worth over 100 BILLION dollars last year, how is that a marginal or lower interest enterprise??

In my opinion that is still a lower interest thing when taken globally as the figure quoted in dollars suggests. In my circle I know of 1 person who plays video games. No matter what your view is there are not masses beating a path to the door of this place. People playing a video game at home does not necessarily translate into visitors to this place. Please note. I did say it probably has more pulling power that the bizarre claim that Sheffield is close to the peak district  making it a tourist attraction, and that is the biggest claim made on here.  

7 hours ago, apelike said:

I think you are confusing the modern video games industry with the past retro style industry which is what this museum is about. The former I definitely support and are now 17 hours into playing Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Actually it ISN'T what the place is about, it's about the entire industry, I wish people would do a little bit of research before commenting 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Give it a chance I say. Nottingham'a loss is our gain as far as I can see. 

Not asking for any SCC (council tax payer),  handout to move here & prices seem reasonable when compared with going to the like of a cinema or football in the city. 

From what I saw a few years ago, Sheffield Hallam Uni is one of the main places in the UK for developing games programmers, so it's logical that this should be here. 

There wouldn't be such moaning is the National Football Museum was being relocated from Manchester back to its proper home of Sheffield, would there? 

Give it a chance I say. Nottingham'a loss is our gain as far as I can see. 

Not asking for any SCC (council tax payer),  handout to move here & prices seem reasonable when compared with going to the like of a cinema or football in the city. 

From what I saw a few years ago, Sheffield Hallam Uni is one of the main places in the UK for developing games programmers, so it's logical that this should be here. 

There wouldn't be such moaning is the National Football Museum was being relocated from Manchester back to its proper home of Sheffield, would there? 

the moaning is quite frankly tedious and embarrassing, especially the ones about the cost

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, haddy said:

Personally I think its in the wrong place. Castlegate area is really run down and many people don't go to that area. It would be better on the Moor     Perhaps you meant Castle House instead of Castlegate ?

5 hours ago, Wazzock said:

Actually it ISN'T what the place is about, it's about the entire industry, I wish people would do a little bit of research before commenting 

Well Google says; "Destination for learning about and playing videogames from throughout the mediums history. And this is what is states according to the official website.

Quote:"A unique museum where you can play, explore and create videogames."

https://www.thenvm.org/about/

Even when I do some research it seems its pulling power is mainly based on retro games and arcade gaming . Even the BBC states "Its collection boasts much-love classics as well as vintage consoles that visitors can play on."

BTW do you work there or are you somehow connected to the project?

13 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

In my opinion that is still a lower interest thing when taken globally as the figure quoted in dollars suggests. In my circle I know of 1 person who plays video games. No matter what your view is there are not masses beating a path to the door of this place. People playing a video game at home does not necessarily translate into visitors to this place. Please note. I did say it probably has more pulling power that the bizarre claim that Sheffield is close to the peak district  making it a tourist attraction, and that is the biggest claim made on here.  

What? Just because you only know 1 person who plays video games doesn't mean it's unpopular, that's ridiculous. I only know 1 person who goes to the gym therefore clearly nobody else does so why do we need all these gyms?! 

Also, apart from the fact it's been open a grand total of 3 days, tickets for the opening weekend sold out fast so I don't know where your comment about people apparently not visiting comes from.

THE POSITION IN a run down part of the city,hardly helps its cause,parking iffy to say the least,it should of been at meadowhall or the moor in my opinion,do they have a back up plan if its not working there? have they got plenty of cash backing?

I get the distinct impression that there are some on here who will be praying that the NVM fails; so that they can come on here to gloat and preen themselves about how right they were all along 🙄

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

THE POSITION IN a run down part of the city,hardly helps its cause,parking iffy to say the least,it should of been at meadowhall or the moor in my opinion,do they have a back up plan if its not working there? have they got plenty of cash backing?

This is the beginning of the revitalisation of the area. The Moor and Meadowhall are shopping areas, would it fit in down there?

no parking? I can tell you two multi storey car parks along with some 'pay and display on a bit of rubble strewn land' type car parks within 5 minutes walk of the museum and I don't even drive! And for others that choose not to drive into town, pretty much every bus and tram that serves the City Centre goes past it whilst it is also not too far from the station.

Edited by Andy C

34 minutes ago, Andy C said:

This is the beginning of the revitalisation of the area. The Moor and Meadowhall are shopping areas, would it fit in down there?

no parking? I can tell you two multi storey car parks along with some 'pay and display on a bit of rubble strewn land' type car parks within 5 minutes walk of the museum and I don't even drive! And for others that choose not to drive into town, pretty much every bus and tram that serves the City Centre goes past it whilst it is also not too far from the station.

Hmmm... :huh:

... sounds to me to be the ideal spot for... an indoor market.  :D

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

I get the distinct impression that there are some on here who will be praying that the NVM fails; so that they can come on here to gloat and preen themselves about how right they were all along 🙄

I think people are trying to point out the obvious and saying that if it was failing in Nottingham then why would moving it to Sheffield save it and make it a success, as it will still be reliant  on funding. But as always time will tell.

Edited by apelike