National videogame museum reopens in sheffield!

Hmmm... :huh:

... well I don't have a problem with the pricing or the location.

It's like with anything new, you're always going to get people who either love or hate the idea, but it's nice to see those with an obvious vested interest popping up on here to defend the place.

There's always going to be an initial enthusiastic few who thinks it's a really brilliant idea, but my first question would be, how many of them are prepared to return and pay their £11 on a regular basis to keep the place viable?

I can't really see many returning time after time, except maybe a few dedicated 'gamers', once the novelty has worn off and people have had their nostalgia trip for a few more years.

And that raises another question for me. If the place is going to attract the sort of person who is happy to lose a day of their life pressing buttons with no additional cost to the entry fee, then what chance will the casual visitor have of being able to experience a vintage video game if they are all being hogged by these dedicated individuals?

There are so many other operational questions that need to be answered in order to make the place successful, but I'm sure these must have been addressed before someone made the final decision to locate the museum where it is.

So I'm not worried about whether it will be a 'success' or not, but it's clear that there are a few on here who should be... :|

12 hours ago, Wazzock said:

you haven't a clue about the organisation or it's aims, or funding have you? 

Very quick to jump aren't you? If you read my post again I was criticising the link between this kick-stating  regeneration and funding to regenerate the area not the funding for this museum, as that funding to regenerate the area has yet to materialise.

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Whilst I have no understanding of the interest in these games, I see it as a very small step towards getting people in small numbers to come to Sheffield. I would actually rate this as a stronger pull for the city than the well worn "its close to the peak district" reason that gets rolled out with monotonous regularity. At least this is actually in Sheffield. 

Would I go? No. but I dont go to the peak district either.

Complaints its in the castle market area and should be on the moor? What can we say? Have a look at rents on the moor. Have a look at rents in the castle market area. Offer to bridge the gap for them and I am sure they will entertain the idea.

This is like it or not a marginal or lower interest enterprise. You get it where they think they can make it sustainable or you dont get it. Simple.

The Videogames industry was worth over 100 BILLION dollars last year, how is that a marginal or lower interest enterprise??

Can't understand the moaning on here, its a decent location not far from train/tram/bus depots, 11 quid is good value for entertainment these days, and most of all its something different and a selling point for Sheffield, in what is the fastest growing area in the entertainment sector.

As for will people return after one visit, well there are 1000's of classic retro games so if they rotate the games I'm sure people will

I popped in for a quick look on saturday, sadly I didn't have time to go in fully, but our lass is treating me for my Birthday I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope people go and give it a try, these really are the sort of ventures we should be supporting in Sheffield

You could always make your own with a raspberry pi, an old lcd monitor and a joystick

9 minutes ago, Gunstar_Hero said:

Can't understand the moaning on here, its a decent location not far from train/tram/bus depots, 11 quid is good value for entertainment these days, and most of all its something different and a selling point for Sheffield, in what is the fastest growing area in the entertainment sector.

As for will people return after one visit, well there are 1000's of classic retro games so if they rotate the games I'm sure people will

I popped in for a quick look on saturday, sadly I didn't have time to go in fully, but our lass is treating me for my Birthday I'm really looking forward to it.

I hope people go and give it a try, these really are the sort of ventures we should be supporting in Sheffield

There will be exhibitions and events also, so things won't stay the same.

29 minutes ago, Wazzock said:

The Videogames industry was worth over 100 BILLION dollars last year, how is that a marginal or lower interest enterprise??

I think you are confusing the modern video games industry with the past retro style industry which is what this museum is about. The former I definitely support and are now 17 hours into playing Assassins Creed Odyssey.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I think you are confusing the modern video games industry with the past retro style industry which is what this museum is about. The former I definitely support and are now 17 hours into playing Assassins Creed Odyssey.

You do realize the museum also has a lot of newer games, as well early access to games currently in development? You can even book time with VR headsets. It's most certainly not just retro games.

2 hours ago, Gunstar_Hero said:

I agree that it's in a really convenient location, and it will be an assett to the city centre. Sadly, moaning and whining about Sheffield seems to be some people's favourite passtime....It just gets really grating

43 minutes ago, Locksley said:

You do realize the museum also has a lot of newer games, as well early access to games currently in development? You can even book time with VR headsets. It's most certainly not just retro games.

Ah, then I take back what I said. For me however I'd rather sit in comfortable surroundings with a game that I can save and still be able to play the following day. But what ever people enjoy is fine and I have already stated I hope it is a success.

Edited by apelike

Give it a chance I say. Nottingham'a loss is our gain as far as I can see. 

Not asking for any SCC (council tax payer),  handout to move here & prices seem reasonable when compared with going to the like of a cinema or football in the city. 

From what I saw a few years ago, Sheffield Hallam Uni is one of the main places in the UK for developing games programmers, so it's logical that this should be here. 

There wouldn't be such moaning is the National Football Museum was being relocated from Manchester back to its proper home of Sheffield, would there? 

Give it a chance I say. Nottingham'a loss is our gain as far as I can see. 

Not asking for any SCC (council tax payer),  handout to move here & prices seem reasonable when compared with going to the like of a cinema or football in the city. 

From what I saw a few years ago, Sheffield Hallam Uni is one of the main places in the UK for developing games programmers, so it's logical that this should be here. 

There wouldn't be such moaning is the National Football Museum was being relocated from Manchester back to its proper home of Sheffield, would there? 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

still cannot see this working in sheffield,to many expenses in my opinion