Royal mail rant - postman

I am totally angry.  this has happened before. 

waiting on an important parcel to turn up today( (a part I ordered online), so I unlocked my gate in case they cant get it through post box and waited. I saw the postman, from my cctv, post something, so went out to see if parcel arrived. But just a letter. with no parcel note (little red card to say pick up next working day),  I thought <removed>! before ordering the part I called the company up to check which option for postage.  I was told guaranteed to be here Sat. anyway a few minutes later the postman come back and posts something, thinking it was the parcel, I went out and saw it was the red card. 

I thought you lazy so and so and decided to catch him, but he was in the  van and gone. got into my car and followed,  he was parked bottom of road. as he was walking back to his van I called him, waving the red card. I asked him why he didn't deliver the parcel and just shoved the card through, he says he knocked.  which he didn't, as its recorded on cctv (just posted the card and he didn't even have the parcel in hand. cut a long story short & the bottom line was he was too LAZY to bring the parcel back, open the gate and knock on the door, just easier to post a card. this is the 3rd time this happened, but caught him this time. the other postman open the gates and knocks the door. 

people pay for delivery that you don't get. this needs to stop Royal mail.  

Edited by nikki-red

did he give you the parcel ? I would also send the cctv  footage to the area manager of royal mail.

No surprise. That's how it goes here. You really think royal mail is going to do it the hard way and deliver large parcels instead of a little card asking you to pick it up yourself. 

Guess it will be worse round Christmas

Edited by dutch

I have had exactly the same thing happen to me when my regular postman-who is excellent- was on sick leave . This was also on a Saturday-plus it was a redelivery I'd arranged as they didn't turn up the first time - yet again waited in especially and yet again nothing......I'd even phoned the depot and the person I spoke to said it would be delivered that day . .... Furious doesn't begin to cover it.  

It is annoying and has probably happened to most of us!

Royal Mail: Numerous "sorry we missed you" more like "Sorry we couldn't be arsed"

Yodel: Can't count the times they didn't even bother

DPD: Usually very good but had a couple of nice photos of our road sent to proof the driver called. My reply was... next time I want a photo of my front door from close range. We watched him drive up, get his phone out and take a picture and then drove off. Not even one step outside the van.

All of the above, like you, waiting in for the delivery.

Edited by zach

The problem, in my opinion, is that the person who buys the service (the supplier, when sending goods) is not the person who gets the poor service (the customer who receives the delivery). The supplier doesn’t necessarily know there is a problem. The way forward is for customers to complain to the suppliers when Royal Mail underperform, and threaten to change suppliers - or actually do so, because of bad delivery.

There are some very slick and efficient delivery companies who can and do delivery within very tight time windows. RM parcels delivery are like dinosaurs by comparison.

Edited by Eater Sundae

1 minute ago, Eater Sundae said:

The problem, in my opinion, is that the person who buys the service (the supplier, when sending goods) is not the person who gets the poor service (the customer who receives the delivery). The supplier doesn’t necessarily know there is a problem. The way forward is for customers to complain to the suppliers when the Post Office underperform, and threaten to change suppliers - or actually do so, because of bad delivery.

There are some very slick and efficient delivery companies who can and do delivery within very tight time windows. PO parcels delivery are like dinosaurs by comparison.

You're right.

I have stopped using a few companies. When they asked why, I told them it was due to their delivery service. One was Royal Mail, the other Yodel. The top two for bad service IMO.

23 minutes ago, zach said:

It is annoying and has probably happened to most of us!

Royal Mail: Numerous "sorry we missed you" more like "Sorry we couldn't be arsed"

Yodel: Can't count the times they didn't even bother

DPD: Usually very good but had a couple of nice photos of our road sent to proof the driver called. My reply was... next time I want a photo of my front door from close range. We watched him drive up, get his phone out and take a picture and then drove off. Not even one step outside the van.

All of the above, like you, waiting in for the delivery.

As far as DPD is concerned, that’s changing. Your street won’t be sufficient because theyve updated the POD devices so it knows whose door it’s at using gps. That said, if the company you bought the product from bothered to enter your mobile or email when they were processing the delivery, you’d at least get an hour window rather than waiting in all day. But if the driver did what he did I’d complain. Most delivery companies aren’t bad - all will point to a 90%+ first time delivery conversion. But if your delivery driver or local depot is a waste of space you’re knackered.

Yes, DPD do have the tracking so you know when to expect them. I find them the best overall, apart from the couple of times the drivers just lied. I did complain but you get the usual excuses and refund on the delivery.

I did once have a "tracked" package via Royal Mail. I logged onto RM to track my parcel and the message was "We can only track your parcel after its been delivered"  I'm sure it's changed now as that was a few years ago but that has to go down as the worst tracking I've ever seen.

2 minutes ago, zach said:

Yes, DPD do have the tracking so you know when to expect them. I find them the best overall, apart from the couple of times the drivers just lied. I did complain but you get the usual excuses and refund on the delivery.

I did once have a "tracked" package via Royal Mail. I logged onto RM to track my parcel and the message was "We can only track your parcel after its been delivered"  I'm sure it's changed now as that was a few years ago but that has to go down as the worst tracking I've ever seen.

That’s at least one thing, you got your delivery money back - many won’t refund you.

However, RM tracking is still about the same!

2 hours ago, Dggsheffield said:

did he give you the parcel ? I would also send the cctv  footage to the area manager of royal mail.

There is literally no point. They just close ranks and cover each other's backside because they know doing something will just expose the mass incompetency of the company. 

I've caught our posties just carding rather than delivering on numerous occasions. I even got carded once for a parcel that was small enough to fit through the letterbox. 

I've even tried complaining direct to the CEO ( because I was getting nowhere going up the chain) and you get a standard response stating they've checked with the management (that you've already complained to) and not found any wrong doing.