Taxis outside the york broomhill

Tonight there were three taxis waiting outside the York on Fulwood road in Broomhill, despite it being double yellow lines and right in front of traffic lights. There's at least one there every night when I go past. How do they get away with this?

Take photos, report to licencing. If you're brave enough get the driver too. Although SCC deny it licence, sharing does happen.

Keep being a nuisance to the licensing by reporting and eventually they'll do something. 

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Wonder Boy said:

It’s been an unofficial taxi rank for years.

Yep - at least 20 years from my own memory. 

10 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Tonight there were three taxis waiting outside the York on Fulwood road in Broomhill, despite it being double yellow lines and right in front of traffic lights. There's at least one there every night when I go past. How do they get away with this?

If they are parked, they can be ticketed for contravening the yellow line. I believe Parking Services are looking to extend their operating hours to 11pm, so they could deal with it. However the civil enforcement officer (CEO) has to carry out a period of observation to ensure that loading is not taking place, so what usually happens is the drivers drive off when they see the CEO and come back when the CEO has gone away. 

Some people don't realise that stopping on double or single yellow lines is allowed to load/unload or set down and pick up passengers if there isn't a loading restriction in place. Drivers aren't allowed to stop and wait for the passengers though.

In truth, it's a perennial problem at a lot of locations across the city and there's no easy solution.

Guest makapaka

I’ve never seen it causing any significant problems?

8 hours ago, makapaka said:

I’ve never seen it causing any significant problems?

It's on a main road that isn't that wide and right in front of traffic lights. If the lights are on red going towards Fulwood the queue blocks traffic coming the other way. It's double yellow lines for a reason but clearly taxi drivers think certain rules don't apply to them.

An evening only two space taxi rank would be a very useful local amenity.

It should be placed on the site of the former 51 bus stop which is closer to the Fox and Duck.

Guest makapaka
11 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

It's on a main road that isn't that wide and right in front of traffic lights. If the lights are on red going towards Fulwood the queue blocks traffic coming the other way. It's double yellow lines for a reason but clearly taxi drivers think certain rules don't apply to them.

I know where it is but at night when most of the shops are closed I’ve never seen it causing traffic jams etc.

maybe they should let them do it between certain hours or something?

On 11/24/2018 at 1:09 AM, Resident said:

Take photos, report to licencing. If you're brave enough get the driver too. Although SCC deny it licence, sharing does happen.

Keep being a nuisance to the licensing by reporting and eventually they'll do something. 

They wont do anything about it its the same on rudyard road hillsborough, a couple of years ago a resident went round with a petition about this problem most residents signed it and it was handed in to the council and nothing got done. Parking services are a joke they are frightened to death of them ,they will ticket a pensioner but say nothing to taxi drivers

1 hour ago, jonnythefox said:

They wont do anything about it its the same on rudyard road hillsborough, a couple of years ago a resident went round with a petition about this problem most residents signed it and it was handed in to the council and nothing got done. Parking services are a joke they are frightened to death of them ,they will ticket a pensioner but say nothing to taxi drivers

I think you should be realistic about what you can reasonably expect the council to do. 

The problem at Broomhill is a comparatively minor one and probably does not merit heavy handed action.

Parking Services are not as you put it, “frightened” of taxi drivers. They issue penalties where they see a contravention they can enforce.

As I have said earlier, CEO’s are normally required to carry out an observation period before they can issue a ticket on a double yellow line and this usually gives the taxi drivers the opportunity to drive off.

The Council don’t have the staff resources to semi-permanently station CEO’s at locations like Rudyard Rd. Taxi drivers know this and get away with it most of the time.

The Rudyard Rd issue is normally in the evenings and historically, the council have not had CEO’s operating outside 5he city centre in the evening. They have had a small team working the city centre. They are, as far as I’m aware, planning to extend operating hours to 11pm and may therefore look to do more outside the city centre.

There are similar issues in most cities and it is a matter of resources and priorities and being mindful of what can be practically enforced.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:11 AM, makapaka said:

I know where it is but at night when most of the shops are closed I’ve never seen it causing traffic jams etc.

maybe they should let them do it between certain hours or something?

I go past regularly late evening and although it's nothing like it is earlier in the day, it's still fairly busy and the road does get blocked.