New forum feedback and questions

15 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hi, just to confirm that we're aware of this bug caused by converting from the old software. It has lead to a lot of new lines being put in to posts. As per the announcement at the top of the page, the site as it is right now is a work in progress. We've tried to make this clear, but I wanted to reassure you directly :)

Sounds like a search and and replace regex on the database is in order,eh.

It's good news that the site wasn't intending to follow the current web design trend of having ten pages of emptiness to scroll through when a couple of pages would do.

5 minutes ago, Flexo said:

Sounds like a search and and replace regex on the database is in order,eh.

I'm hoping not, as reading previous threads about this (on the IPB site) it's a bit of a PITA as <p>&nbsp;</p> is in some places, but others are like <p> </p> (just a space).

The rebuilding of the posts, is around 50% done, and this process converts old code in to the correct formatting, for example changing [b ] to bold, etc. It's a very intensive process, we're on a Google instance right now with 120GB of RAM and a tuned MySQL server, and it's still going to take about another 12-18 hours at the current rate. We are hoping it will strip out the excess paragaphs but we won't know until it completes.

As for the design, we're working on it quite a bit now as the comments in the CSS file will show! Things like removing margins, lines, tweaking font sizes, etc. One big improvement was to shift the +, Quote, Edit, Options section under each post to the right and reduce the opacity/colours to be more subtle. We're working on other bugs too, such as the fact YouTube links in signatures have turned in to the actual videos, eek!

It's myself and Josh who are working on this, we will try and respond to comments in this thread, but if in doubt or for one to one stuff, you can reach us at help@sheffieldforum.co.uk 

It is good to move on. It will take a while to get used to. 

Congratulations to forum team for getting the job done.

Phew!  its abit posh before posting in the future  I better put my pin stripe suit on along with my Bowler hat and brollie.  All credit deserved tho.  I like it. :banana:

Edited by PRESLEY

I suppose I'll get used to it, but I'm no fan of this type of forum layout - the older site looked much 'cleaner' to me, but as they all seem to be moving I suppose I will just have get used to it.

Good job I only visit a couple of times a day. ?

48 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'm hoping not, as reading previous threads about this (on the IPB site) it's a bit of a PITA as <p>&nbsp;</p> is in some places, but others are like <p> </p> (just a space).

The rebuilding of the posts, is around 50% done, and this process converts old code in to the correct formatting, for example changing [b ] to bold, etc. It's a very intensive process, we're on a Google instance right now with 120GB of RAM and a tuned MySQL server, and it's still going to take about another 12-18 hours at the current rate. We are hoping it will strip out the excess paragaphs but we won't know until it completes.

As for the design, we're working on it quite a bit now as the comments in the CSS file will show! Things like removing margins, lines, tweaking font sizes, etc. One big improvement was to shift the +, Quote, Edit, Options section under each post to the right and reduce the opacity/colours to be more subtle. We're working on other bugs too, such as the fact YouTube links in signatures have turned in to the actual videos, eek!

It's myself and Josh who are working on this, we will try and respond to comments in this thread, but if in doubt or for one to one stuff, you can reach us at help@sheffieldforum.co.uk 

Hmmm... :huh:

... that's not a bug, it's a marvellous feature! ;)

6 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

... that's not a bug, it's a marvellous feature! ;)

Well... each to their own and all that ?

I've just watched the video, I trust this feature has boosted your viewing numbers ?

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Well... each to their own and all that ?

I've just watched the video, I trust this feature has boosted your viewing numbers ?

:hihi:

It certainly has Mr Geoff...

... by +1

Ta very much! :D

In the "for sale"  thread is there a way to search for a certain category such as mobile phones or computer accessories as there was before the change?

Where is the view new posts feature gone?

I think it's excellent.

If memory serves, when we moved to vBulletin early on, Geoff spent quite a while tightening up the look and feel, removing extraneous whitespace, and mercifully killing the ability to post non-text content in all but the photo/for sale etc sections.

I anticipate much the same will happen again, and the unexpected bonus was rediscovering some PMs from 15 years ago!

32 minutes ago, mafya said:

Where is the view new posts feature gone?

Please refer to the announcement at the top of each page https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/announcement/6-details-of-the-new-forum-and-current-issues/ - also watch the video, there's a good explanation of the new features, which is a lot more powerful than the old one. That said, you can also get it to just show you new stuff if you prefer. This will start working once the site is fully repaired, in the next couple of days.

8 minutes ago, Phanerothyme said:

I think it's excellent.

If memory serves, when we moved to vBulletin early on, Geoff spent quite a while tightening up the look and feel, removing extraneous whitespace, and mercifully killing the ability to post non-text content in all but the photo/for sale etc sections.

I anticipate much the same will happen again, and the unexpected bonus was rediscovering some PMs from 15 years ago!

Good memory - yes, many hours behind the scenes tweaking line after line of HTML - not so much CSS back in those days! Starting to do similar here, but also fire fighting a few more urgent issues. Also my wing-man (Josh) is AFK today, so progress is a little slower :)

39 minutes ago, kidneystone said:

In the "for sale"  thread is there a way to search for a certain category such as mobile phones or computer accessories as there was before the change?

This is just a temporary situation. We're actually going to launch a proper classifieds area, fully integrated with the forum - lots of features you find elsewhere too. Here's a very quick screenshot from the developer/supplier of the plugin, just to give you an idea:

classifieds.png.6ea43887d8cd3de89844056dcb0e5106.png