Elsecar heritage railway

What is this like as a trip out? I was thinking about the Santa specials coming up soon.

We did the steam train ride- it doesnt go far- about a 5 min run down towards Hemmingfield,  then back a bit, then back towards Hemmingfield, then back again- maybe 20 mins in total. Train enthusiasts and kids would enjoy it especially the Santa special. Its run by volunteers who are very passionate. 

On its own its not a day out or even half a day, but there is the heritage centre next to the railway (with kids play centre) to mooch around- a few shops, little real ale bar, antiques centre etc

Went a couple of years ago with the grandkids, really enjoyed it, as lil minx says the heritage centre next door is worth a mooch round.

21 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

We did the steam train ride- it doesnt go far- about a 5 min run down towards Hemmingfield,  then back a bit, then back towards Hemmingfield, then back again- maybe 20 mins in total. Train enthusiasts and kids would enjoy it especially the Santa special. Its run by volunteers who are very passionate. 

On its own its not a day out or even half a day, but there is the heritage centre next to the railway (with kids play centre) to mooch around- a few shops, little real ale bar, antiques centre etc

And then 5 minutes away you have Wentworth House, garden centre which I am told has a skating rink for Christmas and there is the nice village to look around. So I am sure you could make a day of it.

31 minutes ago, scargill said:

And then 5 minutes away you have Wentworth House, garden centre which I am told has a skating rink for Christmas and there is the nice village to look around. So I am sure you could make a day of it.

The garden centre in Wentworth is actually part of the house, but it is still a nice trip to a great village.  Combining the train, the garden centre and Wentowrth is a nice day, and yes, last year they had a mini outdoor rink in the garden centre.

I think the Kirklees Light Railway is better.  It runs from Clayton West up to Santa's Grotto at Shelley about a 3.5 mile ride.

Its ok for a quick visit - the best Santa Train is the one from Matlock on Peak Rail, Santa,magicians,carol singers the lot.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, willman said:

Its ok for a quick visit - the best Santa Train is the one from Matlock on Peak Rail, Santa,magicians,carol singers the lot.

Dancing girls for us older ones maybe?