Smoking ban in social housing?

5 hours ago, choogling said:

I was talking to the singer with a band that works the east coast a lot ,many of the clubs they play turn a blind eye to smoking,i know of at least one in Barnsley that does the same.Never heard of a prosecution for allowing it.

My comment was in reply to an implication that a ban would be unlikely to work. The ban on smoking in pubs has been very successful indeed, despite people claiming at the time that it could never work. The alleged existence of some clubs on the East Coast, and a pub in Barnsley, where smoking takes place in no way supports those claims :)

Isnt that something that should be regulated with tenants agreement (contract)? If you are renting the property, you have the right to set "no smoking, no pets" rule?

3 hours ago, croat77 said:

Isnt that something that should be regulated with tenants agreement (contract)? If you are renting the property, you have the right to set "no smoking, no pets" rule?

Its fair enough to have a no pets policy in place to control the noise or any nuisance caused by a pet, although that rule seems to be changing a bit. However its not fair to put further conditions on a tenant to ban them smoking when it is done in private and not harming others as it also could be in breach of the HRA.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:46 PM, apelike said:

Its fair enough to have a no pets policy in place to control the noise or any nuisance caused by a pet, although that rule seems to be changing a bit. However its not fair to put further conditions on a tenant to ban them smoking when it is done in private and not harming others as it also could be in breach of the HRA.

Maybe its in preparation for any legalisation of weed.  There's already been a thread where someone's neighbour smokes it and it makes their own house smell.  Or just the general higher risk of fires:

Since 2009, 50% of deaths in accidental house fires in Tyne and Wear were caused by smoking materials. In 2012/13 alone, 14 people were injured in smoking related house fires. 

http://www.twfire.gov.uk/community-safety/prevention/your-home/cigarette-fires/#.W_vIrDj7Sig

Smokers always seem to think they're never in the wrong or doing anyone any harm.  But you are. When you throw your fag out of a car window or on the floor in the street, or you block pub or hospital entrances with your clouds of smoke.

On 11/22/2018 at 2:38 PM, lil-minx92 said:

The owner of the house should always be able to dictate the rules- even if its a local authority or housing association.  No dogs, no cats, no smokers, no kids -its right that its up to the owner to choose.

No Dogs, no Blacks no Irish - remember those signs...?

Whilst I consider smoking to be rather repulsive it's still legal in this country so I would be quite against such a rule. What next - banning drinking alcohol in a tenants house?

Or do what I do - any tenant thats a smoker is required to leave a larger damage and cleaning deposit when they first start the tenancy...

9 minutes ago, Obelix said:

No Dogs, no Blacks no Irish - remember those signs...?

Whilst I consider smoking to be rather repulsive it's still legal in this country so I would be quite against such a rule. What next - banning drinking alcohol in a tenants house?

Or do what I do - any tenant thats a smoker is required to leave a larger damage and cleaning deposit when they first start the tenancy...

That's a sensible option.  Do your tenants sign a contract and understand the reason why they are required to leave a larger deposit than non smokers?

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Maybe its in preparation for any legalisation of weed.  There's already been a thread where someone's neighbour smokes it and it makes their own house smell.  Or just the general higher risk of fires:

http://www.twfire.gov.uk/community-safety/prevention/your-home/cigarette-fires/#.W_vIrDj7Sig

Now click on the link on that page about cooking fires... Do we now ban cooking appliances in the kitchen?

19 minutes ago, apelike said:

Now click on the link on that page about cooking fires... Do we now ban cooking appliances in the kitchen?

I did.  It relates to chip pans, something else that is being recommended to be phased out due to how dangerous they are:

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/almo-hails-success-of-chip-pan-amnesty-34872

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I did.  It relates to chip pans, something else that is being recommended to be phased out due to how dangerous they are:

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/news/news/almo-hails-success-of-chip-pan-amnesty-34872

Open chip pans have been banned by me for ages along with many other landlords I would imagine from both the fire risk and the fact they loft fat all over the ceiling.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

That's a sensible option.  Do your tenants sign a contract and understand the reason why they are required to leave a larger deposit than non smokers?

Yes - it's called a tenancy agreement...

I have a no smoking condition in my rental property tenancies and have told the tenants that they are welcome to smoke outside on the doorstep but any smoking inside will lead to a breach of the tenancy.

Nicotine stained walls and ceilings are a pain in the arse to redecorate and if they are not willing to agree to the condition then they don’t get the tenancy.

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, mafya said:

I have a no smoking condition in my rental property tenancies and have told the tenants that they are welcome to smoke outside on the doorstep but any smoking inside will lead to a breach of the tenancy.

Nicotine stained walls and ceilings are a pain in the arse to redecorate and if they are not willing to agree to the condition then they don’t get the tenancy.

Your entitled to make that rule prior to accepting tenants - I don’t agree it should be retrospectively enforces was my earlier point.

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Your entitled to make that rule prior to accepting tenants - I don’t agree it should be retrospectively enforces was my earlier point.

The link in the OP says "New coucil tennants"