The Conservative Party. All discussion here please

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

If people want the middle ground they should vote Lib Dem. I have voted for them in the past. I am usually all for agreement, compromise and the centre ground.

But things have changed. As the Conservative party, friend of the rich, the titled and big business, have become more extreme and embraced things like free market economics, wholesale privatisation (selling) of our utilities, deregulation of the banks, etc. in fact moved far right into the neoliberal arena, things have changed. Trickle down has stopped, and the wealth of the country has been sucked up by the relative few, leaving little for investment, training, services, and welfare etc. - things that matter to ordinary people. All this has happened almost without comment, save for groups like 'Occupy' who tried in vain to get the word out but were roundly villified in the media, as were Unions who tried to fight for their members. 

Labour however is supposed to oppose the  Conservatives, (friends of the rich, the titled and big business,) and support the people. 'For the many not the few' and Tony Blair failed to do this. He had charisma certainly, and did some good things, but 'New Labour' went along with a lot of the Tory's policies such as privatisation and failed to oppose. At the time, when things were going well and 'we're all middle class now' that didn't matter so much, but the Financial crash of 2008 brought a lot of things home to roost and out into the open. The Labour leadership in particular were found to be very much in cahoots with the Tories and had feathered their own nests at the expense of doing what they are supposed to do which is look after the people. They were more vulnerable than ever.

We can no longer afford at this time, a centre ground Labour party like Blair's.  We need somebody more to the left to counter the  disastrousTory swing to the right. Someone who will stop the dismantling of the hard won rights of the people, and restore and protect the principles we have lost, and work tirelessly on behalf of the people to make sure they have the tools (like education, health, and services,) to make the best of their lives. That is what Jeremy Corbyn stands for. You don't have to like him to appreciate what he is trying to do. The fact that his message has been systematically supressed, disparaged, and all but destroyed by the media so that a large number of Labour voters  don't know this, just shows the power of the press, 80% of which is owned by 5 far right individuals like Rupert Murdoch, determined that he should lose. 

I’ve said in the past that I think Corbyn is a principled man. But I his politics and even more so McDonnells far to radical. I appreciate your desire for a government of the left but it doesn’t work for most people.

Boris is top for outside earnings. You'd think he had enough on his plate without having to take on extra stuff!

https://www.cityam.com/general-election-2019-boris-johnson-tops-list-of-mps-for-outside-earnings/

New Health Secretary Matt Hancock accepted £32,000 from boss of think tank that wants to scrap the NHS.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/new-health-secretary-matt-hancock-12891819

Wake up Britain.

The NHS is not for sale!  . . . . . . . . .With the Conservatives it is !  Price £32,000.

I'd like to know what part time jobs rake in £1.6million a year, and still leave time to run the country.

Can I have one please?

Just shows what a different world Boris lives in.

14 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'd like to know what part time jobs rake in £1.6million a year, and still leave time to run the country.

Can I have one please?

Just shows what a different world Boris lives in.

Who said anything about part-time jobs? The article just uses the word earnings which could mean anything.

It could be in the form of property or investments or other sources of income.  The article doesn't specify any of that. In fact it has very little substance at all. There is barely a mention of boris beyond the initial line with the rest just talking about the cumulative totals for the entire party.

As per usual you have jumped all over the headline without actually reading into the detail (or lack of it in this case).

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Who said anything about part-time jobs? The article just uses the word earnings which could mean anything.

It could be in the form of property or investments or other sources of income.  The article doesn't specify any of that. In fact it has very little substance at all. There is barely a mention of boris beyond the initial line with the rest just talking about the cumulative totals for the entire party.

As per usual you have jumped all over the headline without actually reading into the detail (or lack of it in this case).

Considering Labour are considering stopping MPs having outside jobs, which are usually on the board of some bank or a lucrative directorship, I assume this article is in relation to that. 

Edited by Anna B

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

That would be one hell of a property / investment portfolio for someone who has worked mainly as a journalist , mayor of London and MP.

Wo

12 hours ago, Longcol said:

That would be one hell of a property / investment portfolio for someone who has worked mainly as a journalist , mayor of London and MP.

Wouldn't it just, not bad in a time of austerity is it?

But according to Cameron we were 'all in it together.' Remember that?

Another Tory lie. Jeez...the rich just get richer.

26 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Wouldn't it just, not bad in a time of austerity is it?

But according to Cameron we were 'all in it together.' Remember that?

Another Tory lie. Jeez...the rich just get richer.

But Anna, you wanted Brexit, didn't you?

You were (maybe still are) in awe of Farage, were you not?

So, have you finally understood the nature of Brexit (a hardline project by, and for, the richest opportunists, initially bootstrapping through Farage, before reaching critical mass with the Tories in 2015) and, more importantly, its point (step 3: profit)?

You talk of austerity and blame the Tories for its policies. But Brexit was never anything else than a mechanism to artificially sustain this austerity, for fostering new enrichment opportunities.

In that context, tellingly, Johnson's campaign offers nothing more, nor anything new, relative to the 2016 and 2017 Tory campaigns: "get Brexit done", the central plank of the Tory manifesto, is as vacuous and meaningless as Theresa May's "Brexit means Brexit" of yesteryear, and there is nothing in that manifesto (once fact-checked) apt to get British socio-economics on the straight and narrow out of austerity (unless one believes in unicorns, of course).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50707997

James Cleverly says sorry for Islamophobia in party

"But we are and absolutely have always been clear on this. We recognise that in mass membership organisations that there will always be people that say and do things which are completely inappropriate."

But they were shouting from the rooftops regarding Labour and anti-semitism?

4 hours ago, L00b said:

But Anna, you wanted Brexit, didn't you?

You were (maybe still are) in awe of Farage, were you not?

So, have you finally understood the nature of Brexit (a hardline project by, and for, the richest opportunists, initially bootstrapping through Farage, before reaching critical mass with the Tories in 2015) and, more importantly, its point (step 3: profit)?

You talk of austerity and blame the Tories for its policies. But Brexit was never anything else than a mechanism to artificially sustain this austerity, for fostering new enrichment opportunities.

In that context, tellingly, Johnson's campaign offers nothing more, nor anything new, relative to the 2016 and 2017 Tory campaigns: "get Brexit done", the central plank of the Tory manifesto, is as vacuous and meaningless as Theresa May's "Brexit means Brexit" of yesteryear, and there is nothing in that manifesto (once fact-checked) apt to get British socio-economics on the straight and narrow out of austerity (unless one believes in unicorns, of course).

I don't like the people who run the EU, and I do regard them as corrupt, but I have to admit that I may have been wrong on this one. All the points I made at the time still stand, but I think are outweighed by what I've learned since.

And the fact that a person like Boris Johnson and his friend Trump are in favour of Brexit should indeed tell you a great deal . . . 

However, I do still think Farage is a clever politician in the Thatcher mold. And as I've said before I admired Thatcher, I just hated her politics. But by golly she was strong, committed, and got things done. I now hold neoliberalism against her, so that might change.

Problem is the whole world is at a cross roads and doesn't know which way it's going. It has to change. We need mega co-operation on big things like climate change which is going to threaten Capitalism, and we need a world that works together. Equality HAS to come too for all our sakes. But it's almost as big as the old Capitalist / Communist debate.  It is going to take some sorting out if it's to be bloodless. May be a debate for after the election.

Edited by Anna B

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

I don't like the people who run the EU, and I do regard them as corrupt, but I have to admit that I may have been wrong on this one. All the points I made at the time still stand, but I think are outweighed by what I've learned since.

And the fact that a person like Boris Johnson and his friend Trump are in favour of Brexit should indeed tell you a great deal . . . 

However, I do still think Farage is a clever politician in the Thatcher mold. And as I've said before I admired Thatcher, I just hated her politics. But by golly she was strong, committed, and got things done. I now hold neoliberalism against her, so that might change.

Problem is the whole world is at a cross roads and doesn't know which way it's going. It has to change. We need mega co-operation on big things like climate change which is going to threaten Capitalism, and we need a world that works together. Equality HAS to come too for all our sakes. But it's almost as big as the old Capitalist / Communist debate.  It is going to take some sorting out if it's to be bloodless. May be a debate for after the election.

That might well be your perception, in the deeply polarised UK. Particularly given how your domestic mass media has been buying wholesale into megaphone dog whistling politics.

But I can assure you that it isn't in most other developed countries. Plenty of positive change going on elsewhere.

The EU Parliament declared a climate emergency last week and set out its net-zero greenhouse gas emissions plan, which is currently being discussed in terms of 'how' rather than an outright 'no' (PiS in Poland is gradually coming on board, having ditched Orban's Hungary on climate issues). The EU27 are also meeting with the Ukrainian President and Putin next week, to start talks about ending the conflict in Eastern Ukraine. 

Lots happening outside the GE2019/Brexit/UK bubble, with clear arrival points.

The Conservatives' current UK is nowhere to be seen in all this, of course.

The Papers moved to General Election  December 12th >>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by Flanker7