Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

The Conservative Party. All discussion here please

1 minute ago, Top Cats Hat said:

They are not, they are just songs. 

It’s called art!

So you think it would be acceptable for someone performing at Glastonbury to sing 'Kill Jewish scum' or 'Kill Muslim scum'? It's just art right? 

How does that tally with the law against hate speech or inciting hatred? I wasn't aware that shouting them to a tune made them OK? 

32 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

You do know that they were song lyrics, don’t you? 😂😅😂

Well, lets see your tears of laughter, if another band sang the same lyrics with the word 'tory' switched for somebody else.

I don't follow any party, but your blinkered approach is staggering.

2 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

So you think it would be acceptable for someone performing at Glastonbury to sing 'Kill Jewish scum' or 'Kill Muslim scum'? It's just art right? 

How does that tally with the law against hate speech or inciting hatred? I wasn't aware that shouting them to a tune made them OK? 

It is nothing to do with singing them it is to do with artistic freedom.

Are you going to ring up the Metropolitan Police and report the many antisemitic paintings in the National Portrait Gallery as hate crimes?

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you going to ring up the Metropolitan Police and report the many antisemitic paintings in the National Portrait Gallery as hate crimes?

So, do you think Tommy Robinsons bunch of merry men singing racist songs is just fun artistic freedom too?

4 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So, do you think Tommy Robinsons bunch of merry men singing racist songs is just fun artistic freedom too?

Since when has singing racist songs at a political event been art?

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Wow.

No, I won't ring up the police to report racist paintings in the National Portrait Gallery.

I would be incredibly surprised however if the National Portrait Gallery accepted and hung a painting from a living artist that was overtly racist or otherwise hateful. That would be the analogy with this case. 

It's not.

So, I can't see why you think songs about killing somebody else is.

Is it just 'funny' or 'art' when it's targetted against somebody you happen not to like?

Edited by Voice of reason

How about a football match? Or is it only 'art' when they are getting paid to do it? 

Just now, Robin-H said:

How about a football match? Or is it only 'art' when they are getting paid to do it? 

Are you comparing football chants to art?

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

A song is a song. I don't care whether it's performed at Glastonbury or sung on football stands. It doesn't just become 'art' because of where it's performed.

I'm the not the person saying that you can get away with signing 'kill all muslim scum' in front of a crowd of tens of thousands and get away with because it is 'art'. 

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Comparison between songs surely?

In 2016 Joe Cox was murdered by a deranged politically twisted, hate driven scumball. Now some people seem to think perpetuating that same hatred is 'art' or 'funny' .

I don't. Complete lack of perspective and utter misguided, double standards of the worse kind.

I'm glad they've been dropped, and the statement issued by Glastonbury, speaking about their values says how people should feel and act towards one another is what art is really about.

Edited by Voice of reason

Fair enough they've been booted out - I think festivals like Glasto are a place for political protest but this crosses a line. Does this mean they'll be no welcome at student unions across the country or will bookings increase (obviously they'll be a shoe in for Momentums Christmas party).

I don't think there has been any gangster rap acts at Glasto in the past has there? Certainly not big name ones.