Jump to content

The Conservative Party. All discussion here please

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Suella Braverman talks to the Bruges Group about "cultural marxism".
 

Braverman: "We are in a fight against cultural Marxism. We have a culture evolving from the far-left which is about snuffing out freedom of speech. We are putting everyone in cotton wool. That instinct for freedom, risk-telling and creativity is being killed."


The Tories are full of nutters.

Edited by Mister Gee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Suella Braverman talks to the Bruges Group about "cultural marxism".
 

Braverman: "We are in a fight against cultural Marxism. We have a culture evolving from the far-left which is about snuffing out freedom of speech. We are putting everyone in cotton wool. That instinct for freedom, risk-telling and creativity is being killed."


The Tories are full of nutters.

Apparently the Board of Deputies of British Jews have criticised her for using an anti semitic trope, and demanded that she never use it again

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cultural-marxism-tory-suella-braverman-conservatives-antisemitism-a8841581.html

 

I look forward to her being splashed across the headlines like the Labour Party were.

Edited by Mister M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Apparently the Board of Deputies of British Jews have criticised her for using an anti semitic trope, and demanded that she never use it again

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cultural-marxism-tory-suella-braverman-conservatives-antisemitism-a8841581.html

 

I look forward to her being splashed across the headlines like the Labour Party were.

I don't know anything about the 'cultural marxism' phrase, so if it's been misused she'll need telling. But she went on to say

 

we are engaged in a battle against cultural Marxism, where banning things is becoming de rigueur, where freedom of speech is becoming a taboo, where our universities - quintessential institutions of liberalism - are being shrouded in censorship and a culture of no-platforming.”

We have a culture evolving from the far-left which is about snuffing out freedom of speech. We are putting everyone in cotton wool. That instinct for freedom, risk-telling and creativity is being killed.

 

Ignoring the cultural marxism reference, what she is saying is true.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bang goes Rees-Mogg's chances of becoming party leader. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Bang goes Rees-Mogg's chances of becoming party leader. 😂

I don't think anybody sees him as a contender, he would crash their vote completely. But you know that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think there was ever a chance of that happening or that he ever wanted that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who will replace the hapless May? I cant think of anyone. Perhaps it might be Corbyn..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I don't think there was ever a chance of that happening or that he ever wanted that

He wouldn't approve of a back bencher leaping straight into the role of leader/Prime minister. He would surely believe that one must serve with distinction in a prominent cabinet position first. Personally I'd like Amber Rudd. 

Edited by Hots on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Who will replace the hapless May? I cant think of anyone. Perhaps it might be Corbyn..

I suppose when Labour ditch him, he could have a go. He might feel comfortable with other Leave supporters!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:27, Mister M said:

Apparently the Board of Deputies of British Jews have criticised her for using an anti semitic trope, and demanded that she never use it again

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cultural-marxism-tory-suella-braverman-conservatives-antisemitism-a8841581.html

 

I look forward to her being splashed across the headlines like the Labour Party were.

Cultural Marxism/the Frankfurt school isn't something that I would characterise as being a Jewish conspiracy, I thought it was looked upon as a communist conspiracy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Hots on said:

He wouldn't approve of a back bencher leaping straight into the role of leader/Prime minister. He would surely believe that one must serve with distinction in a prominent cabinet position first. Personally I'd like Amber Rudd. 

There are loads who want the job.

But what are the odds that the Conservative party members will get a vote on their new leader?

They didn't get the chance to vote for May maybe it was too important to leave to the rank and file.

Mind you they didn't make as much as a squeak about it.  Your average Conservative members are deferential to their betters and subservient to the big beasts of the party. Not that they get much chance, or even if they want the chance……

“It turns out that half of all members (46 per cent) are happy with the current system for electing the leader, although – perhaps surprisingly – a fifth (21 per cent) would like to see the decision return to MPs only.

 

https://www.psa.ac.uk/insight-plus/members-only-views-conservative-party’s-rank-and-file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we agreed that after today's vote and Wednesday's indicative votes, the next Conservative leader needs to be a Remainer or a soft Brexiteer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.