The Conservative Party. All discussion here please

1 minute ago, woodview said:

I understand that some employers abuse zhc.

Also in lots of cases the job wouldn't exist if it was contracted at 40 hrs.

I employ staff, not on zhc by the way. But our work is seasonal to a degree and we also have unforeseeable quiet spells and very busy spells. I have staff that understand this and are happy to work in peaks and troughs. That flexibilty is applied both ways. I pay sick and holidays.

People need to understand that employers can't necessarily give 40hr contracts and also some employees take the P with sick etc. That's particular difficult for small businesses, who are the uk's biggest set of employers don't forget.

Bang on the money..

Yes a lot of employers really do abuse the ZHC, when i worked ZHC i had to give my availability for the weekend, then perhaps i would get work, and perhaps i wouldnt, but i had to plan my weekend round me having free time for my employer if he needed me, obviously i didnt stay there long, but unfortunately a lot of people are not in that position where they can just up and leave, that is what i really dislike about it all, they know that some people have no choice but to work that system, its exploitation at its finest, perhaps if it works for some people great, but the majority of people it doesnt and they have no choice, its like going back to the Victorian days when people would stand outside the factory gates and hope they may get picked for the day, and those that didnt had to go home and come back the next day

12 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Bang on the money..

Yes a lot of employers really do abuse the ZHC, when i worked ZHC i had to give my availability for the weekend, then perhaps i would get work, and perhaps i wouldnt, but i had to plan my weekend round me having free time for my employer if he needed me, obviously i didnt stay there long, but unfortunately a lot of people are not in that position where they can just up and leave, that is what i really dislike about it all, they know that some people have no choice but to work that system, its exploitation at its finest, perhaps if it works for some people great, but the majority of people it doesnt and they have no choice, its like going back to the Victorian days when people would stand outside the factory gates and hope they may get picked for the day, and those that didnt had to go home and come back the next day

Sure, do you get the need for something similar that is less prone to the excessive abuse that you describe?

Lots of employers need flexibilty, now more than ever, and lots of employees want it.

Finding a way that works for both is the key.

Some variation for very small budinesses is needed too. I know someone self emplyed who had just enough business to take on a part time employee. The employee went off on genuine sick for 2 months, in that time they got about £80 a week sick pay from the self employed owner. In a small business being a man fown and still having £80 per week costs long term can be a killer.

Needs some pragmatic thinking about, with experience of problems employees face and businesses.

45 minutes ago, woodview said:

Sure, do you get the need for something similar that is less prone to the excessive abuse that you describe?

Lots of employers need flexibilty, now more than ever, and lots of employees want it.

Finding a way that works for both is the key.

Some variation for very small budinesses is needed too. I know someone self emplyed who had just enough business to take on a part time employee. The employee went off on genuine sick for 2 months, in that time they got about £80 a week sick pay from the self employed owner. In a small business being a man fown and still having £80 per week costs long term can be a killer.

Needs some pragmatic thinking about, with experience of problems employees face and businesses.

it's been a while since I was involved in payroll but it used to be the case that you could offset the cost of SSP against NI payments, especially of you were a small business. 

On the issue of zhc, then they have always existed under a variety of names and there is probably a need for them to continue to exist and there are people which are genuinely suited to that sort of relationship with an employer. Unfortunatly,  there seem to have been plenty of employers who have used zhc to avoild all sorts of responsibilities to their staff and the wider community.  These employers need identifying, educating and if necessary fining. 

5 hours ago, andyofborg said:

it's been a while since I was involved in payroll but it used to be the case that you could offset the cost of SSP against NI payments, especially of you were a small business. 

On the issue of zhc, then they have always existed under a variety of names and there is probably a need for them to continue to exist and there are people which are genuinely suited to that sort of relationship with an employer. Unfortunatly,  there seem to have been plenty of employers who have used zhc to avoild all sorts of responsibilities to their staff and the wider community.  These employers need identifying, educating and if necessary fining. 

You can get maternity back, but not ssp.

Amid all the Brexit talk, did anybody else notice the Conservatives slipping out alterations to the pension rules, which will lead to some of the least well off pensioners losing up to £7,000 a year?

You have to watch the crafty Tories, using tricks to cover up what they're doing to the people of this country...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pension-credit-tories-sneak-out-13857850

Edited by Anna B

Yeah, because Labour would never bury bad news would they?

You can't blame the party if the media ignore press releases for something else. 

On 19/01/2019 at 19:32, Anna B said:

Amid all the Brexit talk, did anybody else notice the Conservatives slipping out alterations to the pension rules, which will lead to some of the least well off pensioners losing up to £7,000 a year?

You have to watch the crafty Tories, using tricks to cover up what they're doing to the people of this country...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/pension-credit-tories-sneak-out-13857850

Makes sense to me. I'm not a pensioner, but I don't understand why someone would be able to get pension credit when they don't qualify to be a pensioner so I'm pleased the system has changed to only allow pensioners to get pension credit.

Minister Guy Opperman also said: "Couples with one partner under State Pension age who are already in receipt of Pension Credit or pension-age Housing Benefit at the point of change will be unaffected while they remain entitled to either benefit."

But Sir Steve told the Financial Times: "A difference of just one day in the timing of a claim could cost a couple over £7,000 in the following year, as well as putting pressure on the younger member of the couple to seek work.

Ye gads, someone out of work might have to get a job to support their household when their older partner hits retirement.

On January 21, 2019 at 18:49, the_bloke said:

Makes sense to me. I'm not a pensioner, but I don't understand why someone would be able to get pension credit when they don't qualify to be a pensioner so I'm pleased the system has changed to only allow pensioners to get pension credit.

Ye gads, someone out of work might have to get a job to support their household when their older partner hits retirement.

What's that all about? 

On 21/01/2019 at 18:49, the_bloke said:

You seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. No one who is not a pensioner can get pension credit, unfortunately, now neither can a lot of the worst off, most deserving pensioners who previously qualified, thanks to this sneaky bit of legislation quietly slipped out on the same day as the vote.

Good day to bury bad news...

What have this mob of shysters, charlatans and spivs been up to today?

10 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

What have this mob of shysters, charlatans and spivs been up to today?

Usual head in the sand staff

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chris-grayling-brexit-ferry-contract-no-deal-seaborne-freight-transport-committee-commons-a8754351.html

and of course, really nasty stuff from the home office

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-man-rent-property-home-office-right-to-rent-hostile-environment-homeless-a8754216.html