The Conservative Party. All discussion here please

9 hours ago, banjodeano said:

A fair and equal society that works for everyone, the NHS properly funded, the billionaires forced to pay their taxes, the scrapping of zero hour contracts, the scrapping of universal credit, the poor picked up off the street and given a bed....and you call it Toxic

The NHS will NEVER be properly funded due to the nature of the beast.  No matter how much money you throw at it, it will just absorb it and want more.

I think you forget that Labour also had their problems with the NHS and wanted to cut funding and privatise parts of it.

As for zero hours contracts, Labour councils are still using them:

Welsh Labour councils employ 1000s on Zero Hours contracts – despite Corbyn pledges

https://www.welshconservatives.com/news/welsh-labour-councils-employ-1000s-zero-hours-contracts-despite-corbyn-pledges

Labour council employs one in ten staff on zero hours contracts despite Jeremy Corbyn's vow to ban them

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08/22/labour-council-employs-one-ten-staff-zero-hours-contracts-despite/

These things will plague any government in power, no matter what colour their rosette is.  You need to stop thinking that these problems will simply disappear when Labour come back into power, because they won't.

And finally, your "Poor picked up off the street and given a bed" statement:  In Liverpool we have a brilliant place called The Whitechapel Centre that offers a bed for every homeless person that needs one.  The problem is that when you're off the street, you lose that money from begging. 

10 hours ago, banjodeano said:

A fair and equal society that works for everyone, the NHS properly funded, the billionaires forced to pay their taxes, the scrapping of zero hour contracts, the scrapping of universal credit, the poor picked up off the street and given a bed....and you call it Toxic

NHS cannot be funded properly ever simply due to the nature of it and the costs of it all.

They are already forced to pay taxes. What you mean is forced to pay 100% of income as tax to satisfy you.

I like zero hour contracts. Why do you want to take my job away from me? Why are you wanting to take it away from lots of people?

So we should have no benefits to people that need them?

And most of them will head right back outside again for the simple reason they prefer it out there.

Toxic indeed your ideas are.

8 hours ago, Obelix said:

NHS cannot be funded properly ever simply due to the nature of it and the costs of it all.

They are already forced to pay taxes. What you mean is forced to pay 100% of income as tax to satisfy you.

I like zero hour contracts. Why do you want to take my job away from me? Why are you wanting to take it away from lots of people?

So we should have no benefits to people that need them?

And most of them will head right back outside again for the simple reason they prefer it out there.

Toxic indeed your ideas are.

of course it can, the NHS was formed when the country was bankrupt, yeah BANKRUPT and it was still formed under a labour government, the Tories are running it into the ground to sell it off...

Zero hour contracts suit just a few people, the vast majority of people would prefer a proper contract, not just a few hours here and there when their employer chooses.

Bonkers Boris being given a going over on C4 news right now.

4 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

of course it can, the NHS was formed when the country was bankrupt, yeah BANKRUPT and it was still formed under a labour government, the Tories are running it into the ground to sell it off...

Zero hour contracts suit just a few people, the vast majority of people would prefer a proper contract, not just a few hours here and there when their employer chooses.

And do those people that prefer zero hour contracts not matter? It's not just a few people by the way..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25098984

"UK workers on zero-hours contracts are more likely to be happy with their work-life balance than other staff, a survey suggests."

Exploitative zero hour contracts where you were tied to a single employer but entirely at their whim where clearly bad, but the conservatives banned those. 

8 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

It was in all the parties manifesto tho at the time. It would have been formed whoever won...

23 hours ago, banjodeano said:

What would you replace UC with?

54 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

What would you replace UC with?

• Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • JSA
  • Child Tax Credit
  • ESA
  • Working Tax Credit

ie the current benefits that are (supposed to be) rolled up into UC .

5 hours ago, banjodeano said:

I notice once again you are incapable of actually answering the questions......

Do you understand what is meant by zero hours working? Really understand who actually works those sort of contracts?

13 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Are you really comparing the funding requirements of the NHS in 1948 to those of today. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are far more drugs and equipment to be bought, for far more demanding patients, not to mention an ageing population. The two scenarios could not be further apart.

Edited by Bargepole23

14 hours ago, banjodeano said:

Back then the NHS was a different thing. It was an A+E with other stuff thrown in.

Now they treat averthing you can dream of, with cancer treatments running into hundreds of thousands for example.

That obviously needs more funding.

Tax to pay for it involves everyone. I agree with cutting tax loopholes for corporations and the mega rich. We also need to get away from a culture where lots of people assume someone else should fund NHS, schools, benefits, environment, defence, police etc etc

How much more tax are you personally willing to pay for a fully funded NHS?

Edited by woodview

8 hours ago, Obelix said:

I notice once again you are incapable of actually answering the questions......

Do you understand what is meant by zero hours working? Really understand who actually works those sort of contracts?

Yes i understand what zero hour contracts are, i  was unfortunate to have worked one, and given the chance i would have preferred a contract with  40 hours on it, not ZERO hours so my employer could use me as and when he chooses, 

Someone quoted earlier that people actually prefer Zero hour contracts, that would fly in the face of this report..

http://researchprofiles.herts.ac.uk/portal/files/12097546/Report.pdf

where 61% of people said that they would prefer guaranteed hours.

where 91% of people suffer stress due to ZHC

68% of people have suffered depression due to working ZHC

and 49% of people think there is a relationship between their poor health and the nature of their contract..

as i said earlier, very few people are happy with Zero hour contracts, and the sooner they are gone the better

21 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Yes i understand what zero hour contracts are, i  was unfortunate to have worked one, and given the chance i would have preferred a contract with  40 hours on it, not ZERO hours so my employer could use me as and when he chooses, 

Someone quoted earlier that people actually prefer Zero hour contracts, that would fly in the face of this report..

http://researchprofiles.herts.ac.uk/portal/files/12097546/Report.pdf

where 61% of people said that they would prefer guaranteed hours.

where 91% of people suffer stress due to ZHC

68% of people have suffered depression due to working ZHC

and 49% of people think there is a relationship between their poor health and the nature of their contract..

as i said earlier, very few people are happy with Zero hour contracts, and the sooner they are gone the better

I understand that some employers abuse zhc.

Also in lots of cases the job wouldn't exist if it was contracted at 40 hrs.

I employ staff, not on zhc by the way. But our work is seasonal to a degree and we also have unforeseeable quiet spells and very busy spells. I have staff that understand this and are happy to work in peaks and troughs. That flexibilty is applied both ways. I pay sick and holidays.

People need to understand that employers can't necessarily give 40hr contracts and also some employees take the P with sick etc. That's particular difficult for small businesses, who are the uk's biggest set of employers don't forget.