External cd/dvd drive

My friends new laptop came without a cd slot, I understand this is the norm these days.  She purchased an external cd drive Govee which we used to install a couple of software programs.  But today it won't work - the laptop says it doesn't recognise the drive.  We have tried it in all the usb slots but nothing.  I have brought the drive home to my computer and it is saying the same thing - cannot recognise the drive.  We are both using Windows 10.  Any help would be appreciated! Unfortunately the 30 day return date has just passed so can't return it.

It should have a warranty of at least a year.

Thanks for reminding me. I have contacted Govee - lets see what happens

They likely will refer you to the retailer, which should have been your first point of call, even after 30 days...

30 days is only valid on used/second hand goods, there should be a minimum of 1 year warranty for new devices.

You have to be careful with optical media drives as I made the mistake of buying a DVD writer that only has a single cable soldered directly onto the PCB.  It not only stopped working after a while but my laptop couldn't give it enough power.

I also got a Bluray writer recently that got jostled in shipping and would randomly work on my desktop but not on my laptop, until I shoved it properly into the caddy and tightened a screw on the back at which point it seems okay.

Basically the cheap caddies a lot of sellers are using are okay, but not exactly robust and sometimes they put unsuitable drives in them that need more power than they support.  But often drives that appear broken just need a little tlc, though granted if bought new you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Its possible a Windows 10 update has messed it up, my mum said the same thing happened to her drive last week, as well as losing the sound card drivers.

If you have a memory stick of at least 8 Gb you could download Rufus to create a live GNU/Linux distro with Rufus, plug the external DVD player to see if it is a Windows 10 update issue. What I mean is if the GNU/Linux distro recognises the optical drive and you launch something like Brasero or K3b or xfburn you know its Windows not playing ball. 😉

Edited by swarfendor43

Well swarfendor43 many thanks for that but its way above my pay scale - didn't understand a word of it accept 8 GB memory stick!!! Anyway contacted Govee and they are sending out a replacement so watch this space.

Like to keep you upto date - the problem is solved emailed the company and they arranged to send out a replacement, which at the moment is working!!!!