Retaining wall

I am looking to buy a house with retaining walls to the garden on the boundary of the property

Just got survey back and he identified that part of one of the walls has collapsed (it was fine when I viewed the property) and looks to be bulging in places. (Although it is an old wall.) 

He recommends getting survey to check condition of the walls. 

What would you do in this situation? 

I am inclined to get a survey but would it be worth approaching with the homeowner with this issue or just get quotes for reinstatement? 

I'm at a bit of a loss how best to approach this situation so if anyone has any advice would really appreciate it

Speak to the owner, saying you need to get a survey done (because you do if you are going to buy)

For example they might say, they aren't interested and the price is as it is. In that instance you have the option to pull out, without the cost of getting the survey done.

There are issues if it's a boundary to the road, or to neighbours, in terms of access, effect on the street etc etc. Communication is critical.

Edited by woodview

I would have thought the home owner would need to be involved anyway to give access for the survey or quotes

Have you been round to check yourself, see the collapsed wall in person?

If it's literally just happened (you said it was fine when you saw it) then the seller should be open to negotiations on it.

Yea I have been round had a look. My mortgage lender sent a valuer round last Monday I had my survey last Friday. The mortgage valuer didn't raise this as an issue (but have raised something with outhouse) so thinking it's in the last week it's happend. 

Simple negotiation to make then:

"Since I made my offer your wall has collapsed, I want to revise my offer to compensate for the work needs doing"

Yes- esp. as vendor might be able to claim the cost against property insurance (if the wall's collapse was due to an insured risk).

Check that it has really collapsed, ask the vendor if they're going to get it fixed sharpish along with the other weakened sections.