My beautiful sister

My beautiful sister passed away last weekend. Barbara was born blind, and if that wasn't bad enough for a 22 year old new mum and dad in the 1940s ,she then contracted polio at the age of three, which robbed her of the use of her legs. Despite this she went on to be a clever, funny, fiercely independent woman, married Tony, her late husband, who was also blind, and they had two wonderful children and four grandchildren.  Barbara was diagnosed with cancer some two years ago and proclaimed that she had had a 'good life' so didn't want treatment, but cruelly succumbed to a stroke last week. I never once heard her complain about anything throughout her life, she took every day as it came. Barbara had thirteen operations on her eyes as a child, all to no avail. but still wished she had had another, because thirteen was 'unlucky'.  I am writing this on the chance that are people who remember Barbara, perhaps from the evenings at the Mustard seed, or the Mappin Street meets. I will miss her to bits.

Sorry for your sad news Mike.

It sounds like she left a great legacy in her children and grand children, and her spirit sounds something like we could all learn from.

I knew Barbara (and Tony) and I really can't imagine I'll ever meet another couple as incredibly kind as they were.

Barbara was amazing. She didn't have a bad word to say about anyone or anything.

A lovely lady.

Rest in peace Barabara

Sad news Mike people like your sister never fail to amaze me I know I wouldn’t be anywhere near as strong with the cruel hand dealt them.