Sheffield football

Have Wednesday and United reached their playing level in the Championship, can we without big money backers be expected to compete in the Premier league? Because to me it seems if you have big money and support, more money is given.

Yes they may well have reached the level at which they cannot pass on a consistent basis.

Is it big money or we just do not warrant a place in the country's top 20 teams ? I don't think Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield etc have "Big money."

For 17-20 years now we have not drawn top end players and  money for top management.

The jump from the championship to the premiership is a huge leap now. Can either one do it ? Its so disappointing to see no progression from either club over such long periods

Posted in wrong thing 

Edited by taxman

On 11/01/2019 at 22:34, glennpickard said:

Yes they may well have reached the level at which they cannot pass on a consistent basis.

Is it big money or we just do not warrant a place in the country's top 20 teams ? I don't think Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Huddersfield etc have "Big money."

For 17-20 years now we have not drawn top end players and  money for top management.

The jump from the championship to the premiership is a huge leap now. Can either one do it ? Its so disappointing to see no progression from either club over such long periods

I think those four clubs do have big money. I think it was Chris Waddle who stated that the two clubs in our city are held back because companies based here don't want to be seen to backing one for fear  of alienating half the city. Having said that it's foreign money that's gone into Man City and many other English clubs.

Money is also more concentrated in the south.

On 21/11/2018 at 10:42, topten said:

Have Wednesday and United reached their playing level in the Championship, can we without big money backers be expected to compete in the Premier league? Because to me it seems if you have big money and support, more money is given.

I think they can survive in the Premier league but can not compete.You have six clubs who because of their financial clout are untouchable while the other clubs just make up the numbers and are cannon fodder to the big six.It was stated just a couple of weeks ago that these big clubs do not need supporters to make money.They attract so much revenue by non playing sources that as far as income is concerned the football comes second and can make money without playing which of course is self defeating because the football is the attraction that brings the cash in.Also you have fair weather supporters that because a club is successful and famous they will tag on.Which brings in more cash.

What a pity it has turned out to be a closed shop you have 80 odd teams who do not have a chance of breaking into the elite now that big international companies and oil billionaires own just a handful of clubs buying up gifted players just to sit in the reserves so other clubs can not get them.Along with mega money pouring in to their accounts from Sky and BT  also Virgin poor old Accrington and Darlington FC have not got a chance.Even our clubs who command really good gates have not got a chance to dislodge these guys.Which is a pity because without a level playing field and 80 clubs who have no chance of winning anything sooner or later the magic of our game and the attraction might one day die.

Good post Charlie.

7 hours ago, petcharlie said:

I think they can survive in the Premier league but can not compete.You have six clubs who because of their financial clout are untouchable while the other clubs just make up the numbers and are cannon fodder to the big six.It was stated just a couple of weeks ago that these big clubs do not need supporters to make money.They attract so much revenue by non playing sources that as far as income is concerned the football comes second and can make money without playing which of course is self defeating because the football is the attraction that brings the cash in.Also you have fair weather supporters that because a club is successful and famous they will tag on.Which brings in more cash.

What a pity it has turned out to be a closed shop you have 80 odd teams who do not have a chance of breaking into the elite now that big international companies and oil billionaires own just a handful of clubs buying up gifted players just to sit in the reserves so other clubs can not get them.Along with mega money pouring in to their accounts from Sky and BT  also Virgin poor old Accrington and Darlington FC have not got a chance.Even our clubs who command really good gates have not got a chance to dislodge these guys.Which is a pity because without a level playing field and 80 clubs who have no chance of winning anything sooner or later the magic of our game and the attraction might one day die.

Its already dying mate, I'm pleased my time of watching and attending was mostly in the 80's and 90's, terrible now and fans are way down the priority list.