Creswell area (s80)

55 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Then they’re wasting their money on the lorry load of barbed wire and cctv that I saw. I think the spray shop did some work for me once upon a time. 

But if you if you can make this link work (and I can’t since I did a an update on my iPad) http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html have a look at model village and tell me what you see. 

I can't see owt because the link dun't work , The O.P asked for info ,I have lived there for twelve years up to not so long ago so I answered that it is the nicest little place I know. If you have lived there then all well and good carry on giving the place a kicking that is your prerogative  but you haven't lived  there then why comment on sommat you know nothing about.

I don’t know why the link doesn’t work.

I’ve been there, I’ve passed comment. You like, I don’t.  If the OP only wanted people who lived there for 12 years (but doesn’t anymore) maybe they should have specified.

Creswell is an old mining town . The mine was closed after a major disaster in 1950 which killed 80 men.

Tinhat That is my business , I have lived in many places due to my travelling life stile at one time , Creswell was one of the good ones now I am back in the City where I was born but still say who knows where the road will lead us ,but if its the A616  South then that would do.    

8 hours ago, Wine Gum said:

Creswell is an old mining town . The mine was closed after a major disaster in 1950 which killed 80 men.

If I ever win the lottery or my cousin Rita leaves me her Country estate I will build a regal monument in Cressy to those lads and the family's that followed them down that bloody hell hole .

Edited by Albert smith

13 hours ago, Albert smith said:

Rubbish The Model has been extensively refurbished and is now a mix of private and social housing .The housesat of classic  design some with Dutch gables others belonged to the pit management and are a credit to the Architects and planners from the bygone thirty's and forties .

Rubbish. Emerson Bainbridge had it built to Houghton's design before the Model in Bolsover. Creswell is from the late 1890's

I lived in the area for many years, if you are going there turn your calendar back at least half a century. It's not like Saltaire in Shipley etc, it's full of tribalist tosspots and if you are an incomer you will never ever be truly part of the village.  Id say to the OP that you really seriously need to think hard about moving there - houses are cheap for a very good reason. Clowne would be much better...

Edited by Obelix

8 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Rubbish. Emerson Bainbridge had it built before the Model in Bolsover. Creswell is from the late 1890's

I lived in the area for many years, if you are going there turn your calendar back at least half a century. It's not like Saltaire in Shipley etc, it's full of tribalist tosspots and if you are an incomer you will never ever be truly part of the village.  Id say to the OP that you really seriously need to think hard about moving there - houses are cheap for a very good reason. Clowne would be much better...

Fulwoods better than Arbourthorne in some folks eyes ,it  depends where your heart is ,mine is in Creswell and I can tell you that I am excepted as one of their own ,When Johnsons coach stops outside Hillsbro on match days we all meet up and it is  like meeting the nicest mob that ever walked this Earth.

As to Saltaire I have lived there as well for a short time and it is in no way as friendly as Cressy even though it looks like a picture post card . Looks can deceive its what is inside that counts.

Edited by Albert smith

On 11/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, Wine Gum said:

Creswell closed in 1991 actually well after the fire that killed eighty men.

33 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Not facts again... :D

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

1991 was  AFTER 1950 was it not? My statement was correct!!!

Edited by Wine Gum

Your statement was that there was a major disaster and as a result that resulted in the collieries closure.

That is incorrect. The colliery closed from a combination of exhaustion, economics and geology in 1991.