Sheffield's twin city?

Pittsburgh is assumed to be Sheffield's twin city?   A hilly, green and former steel city in the US state of Pennsylvania.  It has many fantastic bridges - 446 to be precise!  And has built many more metaphorical bridges to help it prosper, where Sheffielders generally prefer to shun new arrivals and entrepreneurial enterprise which has seen it demise.   I've never been to Pittsburgh but the more I research the  more apparent it becomes how much Sheffield planners and it's residents xenophobic approach to various problems are holding it back.

Edited by 26b-6

According to Wikipedia, "The "Sheffield International Linking Committee" promotes Sheffield overseas, especially with five other cities:"

Chengdu, China

Anshan, China

Bochum, Germany

Donetsk, Ukraine

Esteli, Nicaragua

A further four cities have a "Friendship Agreement" with Sheffield:

Kawasaki, Japan

Kitwe, Zambia

Kotli, Kashmir

Pittsburgh, United States of America

1 hour ago, byeo said:

According to Wikipedia, "The "Sheffield International Linking Committee" promotes Sheffield overseas, especially with five other cities:"

Chengdu, China

Anshan, China

Bochum, Germany

Donetsk, Ukraine

Esteli, Nicaragua

A further four cities have a "Friendship Agreement" with Sheffield:

Kawasaki, Japan

Kitwe, Zambia

Kotli, Kashmir

Pittsburgh, United States of America

The Sheffield International Linking committee is no longer. It folded a few years ago. Donetsk is no longer twinned with Sheffield. I think the only really active one left is Esteli.

24 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

The Sheffield International Linking committee is no longer. It folded a few years ago. Donetsk is no longer twinned with Sheffield. I think the only really active one left is Esteli.

That's interesting to know.

9 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Pittsburgh is assumed to be Sheffield's twin city?   A hilly, green and former steel city in the US state of Pennsylvania.  It has many fantastic bridges - 446 to be precise!  And has built many more metaphorical bridges to help it prosper, where Sheffielders generally prefer to shun new arrivals and entrepreneurial enterprise which has seen it demise.   I've never been to Pittsburgh but the more I research the  more apparent it becomes how much Sheffield planners and it's residents xenophobic approach to various problems are holding it back.

So having never been to Pittsburgh, you assume its residents aren't as xenophobic as those in Sheffield? That's an interesting conclusion to come to especially against your fellow city residents. Have you excluded the recent massacre at a Pittsburgh synagogue by a racist low-life from your musings?

2 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Not to worry. The councillors will have had their fact finding beanfeasts by now.

Bridgetown Barbados with the old abandoned buildings made it look a little like Sheffield. There are few people begging asking for change while most people have jobs. Architecture looks little English it used to be UK colony. There is even an area called Yorkshire nearby.

Only big difference it's 30 celcius here in Barbados today.

Edited by dutch

Can the OP please take his/her pointless negativity elsehwere?

Having looked up Esteli on Wikipedia I’m struggling to find any similarities whatsoever?!?

Must admit I can't quite understand the OP negative comment but anyway ......

With the withdrawal from Europe possibly some 4 months away it maybe an idea for cities to resurrect the twinning idea with a view to trade deals. 

Our local Chamber of Commerce ought to consider the thought.