Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Funeral costs

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

£1800 last time I looked. No doubt in a couple of years time it will be much higher.

Angel1.

I would like to think it's a mark of respect. 

When the Father in Law passed away in the South of Ireland the walker actually walked all the way to the graveyard. And strangely enough most folk stood still while the cortege went passed. Respect.

Angel1. 

RESPECT i understand and admire, but this is what the funeral directors rely on. for me, use a wheelbarrow and save a grand, i would like respect while I'm alive, not when I'm dead. it's too late then, and to be honest I'll be laughing my head off seeing my body trundled to the crematorium in a barrow. 

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I would like to think it's a mark of respect. 

When the Father in Law passed away in the South of Ireland the walker actually walked all the way to the graveyard. And strangely enough most folk stood still while the cortege went passed. Respect.

But that may also be because its a predominantly religious society that needs the visual drama. Why is it necessary to have a walker anyway? Why is it necessary to have people dress up in outdated Victorian regalia? I really dont think its because of respect and just mainly for show and status and also a way of upping the costs and conning some out of their money. 

Why don't  they make coffins out of cardboard if they know the person is going to be cremated. It's  such a shame to burn good wood and think of all those beautiful  brass handles.

5 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Why don't  they make coffins out of cardboard if they know the person is going to be cremated. It's  such a shame to burn good wood and think of all those beautiful  brass handles.

For a cremation they are generally made of veneered chipboard, and the nice shiny handles are plastic. 

1 minute ago, Itrytoplease said:

For a cremation they are generally made of veneered chipboard, and the nice shiny handles are plastic. 

Ha well it fooled me but now I'm  inclined to say "How much?"

I did have a job in a joinery shop which doubled as a funeral directors, and made many a coffin, some of oak, but most for cremation and being chipboard.  notice they never use the handles on the coffin at a cremation , they won't take the weight.

27 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

They do but they are also sold by the funeral firms and cost upwards of £100 even if its from recycled paper.

Should use cardboard coffins for all funerals they look good these days and most coffins are laminated chipboard anyway not timber just a money making rackett .