Funeral costs

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I would like to think it's a mark of respect. 

When the Father in Law passed away in the South of Ireland the walker actually walked all the way to the graveyard. And strangely enough most folk stood still while the cortege went passed. Respect.

But that may also be because its a predominantly religious society that needs the visual drama. Why is it necessary to have a walker anyway? Why is it necessary to have people dress up in outdated Victorian regalia? I really dont think its because of respect and just mainly for show and status and also a way of upping the costs and conning some out of their money. 

Why don't  they make coffins out of cardboard if they know the person is going to be cremated. It's  such a shame to burn good wood and think of all those beautiful  brass handles.

5 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Why don't  they make coffins out of cardboard if they know the person is going to be cremated. It's  such a shame to burn good wood and think of all those beautiful  brass handles.

For a cremation they are generally made of veneered chipboard, and the nice shiny handles are plastic. 

1 minute ago, Itrytoplease said:

For a cremation they are generally made of veneered chipboard, and the nice shiny handles are plastic. 

Ha well it fooled me but now I'm  inclined to say "How much?"

I did have a job in a joinery shop which doubled as a funeral directors, and made many a coffin, some of oak, but most for cremation and being chipboard.  notice they never use the handles on the coffin at a cremation , they won't take the weight.

27 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

They do but they are also sold by the funeral firms and cost upwards of £100 even if its from recycled paper.

On 20/11/2018 at 19:38, chocki said:

What happens if a person dies and they have no money for the funeral, I.e. No savings, family have no money.

TIA

No one is left out , We all end up dead and buried , from a Prince to a pauper .

A Rolls Royce limo or back of dust cart , The journey is the same .

The booze up afterwards is the most important thats where you would realise who cared about you and who din't , Unless you have a big bunch of dosh to leave that is , Then the pub will be packed .

My old man informed me last week he wants something called a paupers funeral.

Cardboard coffin etc.

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Cardboard coffin etc.

Hate to break it to you but the funeral homes latched on to the environmentally (cheap) option ages ago.  Last time I was involved in organising a funeral was back in 2016.  The bog standard wooden coffin for a cremation came in at £500.  The environmentally friendly wicker / cardboard types started around £650.

On the plus side, I've a few large cardboard boxes cluttering up my garage I could sell. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Cardboard coffin etc.

Why not just go the whole hog and let the council pay for it

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-health-funerals-good-practice-guidance/public-health-funerals-good-practice-guidance

You wont get any say in anything though.  You may not even be allowed to attend the service.  If your dad has assets though, they will raid the estate to pay for it.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Why not just go the whole hog and let the council pay for it

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-health-funerals-good-practice-guidance/public-health-funerals-good-practice-guidance

You wont get any say in anything though.  You may not even be allowed to attend the service.  If your dad has assets though, they will raid the estate to pay for it.

He has no assets.

Says he doesn't want a service or anything but will leave a few quid behind a bar so his friends and family can enjoy a pint.

Found it all a bit sad to be honest.

It's possible to get a no fuss, low cost, cremation only funeral, for about £1,000 I believe. That covers the cost of transport, the cremation, and all the legal paperwork.