Funeral costs

6 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Had the Co-Op for my father-in-law's funeral a couple of months ago.  Nothing "OTT", just the hearse, a couple of cars and family flowers only.  One oddball thing that we overlooked was an extra charge to have laddo's pacemaker removed : £168 on top of the bill, which ended up around the £5000 mark, so your warning leaflets might not be so far off. Another cost that you might not take into account is an obituary notice in The Sheffield Star. Again, nothing impressive - in fact, they managed to mess it up - but that in itself wobbled about the £180 mark.  What - thankfully - was included was the cramatorium costs, but you're not far off a grand for their service.

I've heard about a "direct funeral" in the meantime, which is a no-frills, very basic job - no service, no funeral home, etc. but even that is a couple of grand apparently.  

Yes a relative has just arranged a basic funeral for her husband and it cost £2400 and she is paying on the weekly , she is over 70 years old.Who on earth wants to land themselves in this amount of debt at that age? Many people work hard  and don't even know what £2000 looks like,they have difficulty making ends meet all their life thanks to low wages and the tory policy of robbing the poor to feed the rich,then they are forced into even more debt.The whole funeral industry needs a thorough ,in depth investigation into its rip off activities.

It would be great if more people left their body to science, that'd pee funeral directors off

1 minute ago, chocki said:

It would be great if more people left their body to science, that'd pee funeral directors off

I believe the teaching hospitals have been inundated with offers of bodies for medical research, and now have more than they can cope with, and won't be taking any more for the foreseeable future.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe the teaching hospitals have been inundated with offers of bodies for medical research, and now have more than they can cope with, and won't be taking any more for the foreseeable future.

:huh: I wonder why...…...

The Competition and Markets Authority have been investigating increases in funeral prices.

The CMA report found:

• The cost of essential elements have risen by more than two-thirds in a decade
  • That is three times the rate of the rise of prices in general, as measured by inflation
  • Those on the lowest incomes could face funeral costs that amount to nearly 40% of their annual outgoings
  • That is more than the amount spent on food, clothing and energy combined in a year

The regulator said that these price rises did not appear to be justified by the equivalent rise in providers' own costs or matched by improvements in the quality of service.

1 hour ago, altus said:

And as usual nothing will be done about it.Everybody connected with the funeral industry is laughing all the way to the bank and the government is perfectly happy as it has a permanent influx of money.Both know there will never be any redundancies and dying will never go out of fashion.The only thing people can do is to flatly refuse to pay for anything to do with a funeral.As far as I know ,at present nobody is legally obliged to pay for a funeral unless they actually order one.

1 minute ago, ivan edake said:

And as usual nothing will be done about it.Everybody connected with the funeral industry is laughing all the way to the bank and the government is perfectly happy as it has a permanent influx of money.Both know there will never be any redundancies and dying will never go out of fashion.The only thing people can do is to flatly refuse to pay for anything to do with a funeral.As far as I know ,at present nobody is legally obliged to pay for a funeral unless they actually order one.

What are the alteranatives though? Also, what legal requirements for relatives regarding corpse disposal?

38 minutes ago, Waldo said:

What are the alteranatives though? Also, what legal requirements for relatives regarding corpse disposal?

As far as I know councils have a legal responsibility to dispose of the body.

52 minutes ago, Waldo said:

You could opt for a direct to crematorium funeral which is a great deal cheaper as no funeral director, chauffeur driven cars or expensive coffin is involved and is an unattended  service. You just pay the basics and can cost less than £1000 , the savings can then be spent on a decent remembrance party. I notice that in the article by the BBC it never mentions that route at all so its time it was given some wider publicity and became the norm especially for Councils.  For some strange reason though it seems the funeral directors still want to dress up in either Edwardian or Victorian regalia, walk in front of the hearse and look like they have just come from a Dickensian play.  Oh silly me.. its about money .. Another good thing is you dont get an unacceptable dangerous slow procession of cars causing problems for other motorists.

Edited by apelike

On 11/23/2018 at 6:53 PM, RiffRaff said:

I've heard about a "direct funeral" in the meantime, which is a no-frills, very basic job - no service, no funeral home, etc. but even that is a couple of grand apparently.  

£1800 last time I looked. No doubt in a couple of years time it will be much higher.

Angel1.

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

You could opt for a direct to crematorium funeral which is a great deal cheaper as no funeral director, chauffeur driven cars or expensive coffin is involved and is an unattended  service. You just pay the basics and can cost less than £1000 , the savings can then be spent on a decent remembrance party. I notice that in the article by the BBC it never mentions that route at all so its time it was given some wider publicity and became the norm especially for Councils.  For some strange reason though it seems the funeral directors still want to dress up in either Edwardian or Victorian regalia, walk in front of the hearse and look like they have just come from a Dickensian play.  Oh silly me.. its about money ..

I would like to think it's a mark of respect. 

When the Father in Law passed away in the South of Ireland the walker actually walked all the way to the graveyard. And strangely enough most folk stood still while the cortege went passed. Respect.

Angel1. 

5 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

£1800 last time I looked. No doubt in a couple of years time it will be much higher.

Angel1.

On average its around £1000, but to some its not about the money either as its what David Bowie had and wanted.

1 hour ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I would like to think it's a mark of respect. 

When the Father in Law passed away in the South of Ireland the walker actually walked all the way to the graveyard. And strangely enough most folk stood still while the cortege went passed. Respect.

Angel1. 

RESPECT i understand and admire, but this is what the funeral directors rely on. for me, use a wheelbarrow and save a grand, i would like respect while I'm alive, not when I'm dead. it's too late then, and to be honest I'll be laughing my head off seeing my body trundled to the crematorium in a barrow.