Funeral costs

What happens if a person dies and they have no money for the funeral, I.e. No savings, family have no money.

TIA

I've mad my wishes known to my family. 

Cardboard box transported in the back of a van to the crematorium. No service just straight into the furnace. 

Minimal cost and fuss because by the time I go even that will cost around 10 grand. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

I've mad my wishes known to my family. 

Cardboard box transported in the back of a van to the crematorium. No service just straight into the furnace. 

Minimal cost and fuss because by the time I go even that will cost around 10 grand. 

Lol, my dad used to wish something like that with the ashes to go in the nearest dustbin. He didn't get his wish.  ?

You can of course donate your body to science, where,  after a number of years you will be buried free of charge.  The problem with this is YOU (the body) must be whole, so you can't donate as much as a eye lash to anyone on the transplant list or they will not except you, and the problem with that is it means fewer organs available for transplant?  I believe if you allow your organs to be used in a transplant the government should at least offer you the benefit of a free basic funeral, most will not use it, but others who have not signed up for organ transplant may change their minds, there by increasing the number of organs available ........... 

On the black market in the US one Kidney is going for $160,000 - just a bit more than the cost of a basic funeral don't you think?

Itrytoplease, thanks for your comment. I have already researched this for myself. Although I didn't know you couldn't donate anything if you wanted to be left to science.

i think it's a great idea and will further research it. I must get on with it cos you never know......

I have the form here, but have yet to send it back (I've had it over a year, a bit like tempting fate lol)

Remember, now the law has changed you will HAVE TO OPT out of "Organ transplant" to prevent your organs being used if you wanted to use the service.

Every time the postman comes he seems to bring me warning leaflets about the ever increasing cost of funerals,all urging me to take out a funeral plan.The latest one to come today says funerals will cost over £8000 in 2020.What a rip off, the funeral directors are taking the mick and laughing all the way to the bank. I know thousands of people are having to pay for expensive funerals on the weekly simply because they are made to feel obliged to pay for it..But why is all this necessary?.Whilst i appreciate some people will want to give their loved ones a good send off many people cannot afford to pay for a funeral so I fail to see why they should have to.When someone dies a death certificate should be issued and that is all that should be necessary,relatives could then have a get together to remember the deceased.As far as I know nobody is legally obliged to pay for anybodies funeral, but if one is arranged then whoever arranges it has to pay for it, unless the cost can be taken out of the deceased's assets.

5 minutes ago, ivan edake said:

Every time the postman comes he seems to bring me warning leaflets about the ever increasing cost of funerals,all urging me to take out a funeral plan.The latest one to come today says funerals will cost over £8000 in 2020.What a rip off, the funeral directors are taking the mick and laughing all the way to the bank. I know thousands of people are having to pay for expensive funerals on the weekly simply because they are made to feel obliged to pay for it..But why is all this necessary?.Whilst i appreciate some people will want to give their loved ones a good send off many people cannot afford to pay for a funeral so I fail to see why they should have to.When someone dies a death certificate should be issued and that is all that should be necessary,relatives could then have a get together to remember the deceased.As far as I know nobody is legally obliged to pay for anybodies funeral, but if one is arranged then whoever arranges it has to pay for it, unless the cost can be taken out of the deceased's assets.

Had the Co-Op for my father-in-law's funeral a couple of months ago.  Nothing "OTT", just the hearse, a couple of cars and family flowers only.  One oddball thing that we overlooked was an extra charge to have laddo's pacemaker removed : £168 on top of the bill, which ended up around the £5000 mark, so your warning leaflets might not be so far off. Another cost that you might not take into account is an obituary notice in The Sheffield Star. Again, nothing impressive - in fact, they managed to mess it up - but that in itself wobbled about the £180 mark.  What - thankfully - was included was the cramatorium costs, but you're not far off a grand for their service.

I've heard about a "direct funeral" in the meantime, which is a no-frills, very basic job - no service, no funeral home, etc. but even that is a couple of grand apparently.  

I'm definitely leaving my body to science. Thanks for the links. I'll get onto it next week