Police, do they exist to serve the public, or corporations?

On 11/22/2018 at 8:31 AM, Daven said:

I think you will find that the police force was started BECAUSE of crime and the lower classes specifically.

Yeh so the establishment could keep the Lower classes opressed.  :suspect:

On the above point, are the lower classes still oppressed? Society needs control. Is there is a fine line between oppressed & being controlled?

9 minutes ago, Janus said:

Society needs control.

Why? And who's going to do the controlling? And what will be their aims and objectives?

I imagine one concern some have; is when 'control' is done by wealthy people in positions of power, with the main objective of keeping themselves rich and in power, and at the same time, limiting the social mobility of the have-nots.

I'm sure that would never happen in our great country though.

Who pays the piper calls the tune.

The Moor traders pay for their Bobbie and he is instructed not to leave the Moor unless there is a risk to life.

The height restriction for Police was removed to allow ethnic minorities to enter the Police and thereby reflect society more accurately.

WPC Yvonne Fletcher who was shot dead in 1984 was said to have stood on her degree's to gain the entry height.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Why? And who's going to do the controlling? And what will be their aims and objectives?

I imagine one concern some have; is when 'control' is done by wealthy people in positions of power, with the main objective of keeping themselves rich and in power, and at the same time, limiting the social mobility of the have-nots.

Some people don`t actually realise that they are being controlled.

12 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

Who pays the piper calls the tune.

The Moor traders pay for their Bobbie and he is instructed not to leave the Moor unless there is a risk to life.

The height restriction for Police was removed to allow ethnic minorities to enter the Police and thereby reflect society more accurately.

WPC Yvonne Fletcher who was shot dead in 1984 was said to have stood on her degree's to gain the entry height.

Just seen this online. I am not endorcing or  disagreeing with it.

"There was once a minimum height requirement for male police officers of 5ft 8in tall, however it has been made illegal to discriminate against or reject applicants on the basis of their height.14 Jan 2010"

It seems to refer to anyone not specificly ethnic minorities. Could be a misquote from someone?

I always thought that the height thing was in place in respect of it being a kind of physical capability when dealing with struggling crimbs etc. Bit like bouncers  in nightclubs being of a large build. It`s not often you see bouncers that look like that guy off the  cleaning  product advert-Mr.Muscle.

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Why - So as to enforce laws against inconvenient things like murder, theft, slavery, and so on...

Who - The police force.

Concern - well, that would be a concern, is there any evidence that it's a valid one though?

1 hour ago, Janus said:

"There was once a minimum height requirement for male police officers of 5ft 8in tall, however it has been made illegal to discriminate against or reject applicants on the basis of their height.14 Jan 2010"

It seems to refer to anyone not specificly ethnic minorities. Could be a misquote from someone?

I always thought that the height thing was in place in respect of it being a kind of physical capability when dealing with struggling crimbs etc. Bit like bouncers  in nightclubs being of a large build. It`s not often you see bouncers that look like that guy off the  cleaning  product advert-Mr.Muscle.

Nothing you quoted there mentions ethnicity at all.

I was told by by a friend of mine whos a retired cop that there isnt a police car within 25 miles of my village most nights of the week, I cant mention the name for obvious reasons

That must be some pretty darn remote village.

Think about it...  It's not in Yorkshire is it, as you couldn't be 25 miles from the nearest city even in the centre of the dales.  And it's not Manchester either.

You live in the Scottish highlands?  Or perhaps the outer Hebrides?

32 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That must be some pretty darn remote village.

Think about it...  It's not in Yorkshire is it, as you couldn't be 25 miles from the nearest city even in the centre of the dales.  And it's not Manchester either.

You live in the Scottish highlands?  Or perhaps the outer Hebrides?

Thanks for your sarcasm,  but for your information its in west yorks, has a population of 14k, and to give a bit more detail I could have said, at times there isnt a car within that range , and the local cop shop (next village) is closed after 5pm each day!

Edited by pintor

Its not unusual.  I've read in a few places critical to Police Commissioners, Sefton Council and the Tory police cuts, that the nearest police cars to Southport are 14 miles away in Bootle since they closed down the Southport police station.

We had a jewelers robbery last year just yards from the old police station, but it took the police 25 minutes to arrive to Bootle.

15 hours ago, Cyclone said:
17 hours ago, Janus said:

Nothing you quoted there mentions ethnicity at all.

Janus gives a logical reason for the height  restriction and each service (force in those days) . In fact each force had its own qualifying height which was 6 feet and over in some areas.

No reason for the removal of the height restriction is not officially given in the remarks we have seen so far... I gave my opinion.

Undoubtedly it does allow  a larger percentage of all ethnic groups to apply for they job and the Police are, and were, making efforts for the make up of the Police is more accurately mirror society at large. 

Nothing wrong with that is there?

If you're in a fight and want some back-up -the bigger the better  is whatI I say.