Nowtv stick apps after pass expires.

Has anyone got one of these and cancelled after using the pass ?  I have looked at them and am not bothered about a pass for using it after the initial two months that come with the stick, I really only want it to view All4 and the ITV Hub. I have  an LG smart TV but cannot get those two  apps, so would only be using the stick for them but there is no point getting one if the apps are not available after the pass is finished.

If your TV  has "Freeview Play" (some LG TV's do) then you can get them via that...

info and a list of TV's that support it is here..

https://www.lg.com/uk/freeview_play

It also seems that NowTV should allow you to access ITV Hub without a subscription... 

This thread talks about it, and an issue getting it running

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/ITV-Hub/td-p/470940?DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_General%2Fgen&awc=11006_1542729638_57d96a99c65d9c594efb1b3c4409d457

All4 should also work (and already be on) your NowTV stick...

... have you tried updating it?

-- here is a list of apps on or available for the NowTV box and Stick..
http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/apps-on-the-now-tv-box-stick-uk-sept-18.pdf?DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_General/gen&awc=11006_1542729824_a8d743816c5af57d050cc9ecfefbfc3d

Edited by Ghozer

If you have to go the route of a smart TV stick, I'd pick something other than the Now TV one... my dad had one, used it and returned it. It was absolutely awful to use, so slow and  non-intuitive.

I helped him because he thought he was doing something wrong, but nope, it just sucked.

Thanks for the replies, the TV does not have GooglePlay store just the LG content store. I have asked LG and they say the apps are not available on my TV. Not got the stick Ghozer, can't see the point if the apps I require are not available after the pass expires.

Edited by iansheff

They are though, that's the point I'm making, You can still use them after the pass expires, all the pass gets you access to is their own hosted content, ITV Hub, All4, BBC iPlayer etc are nothing to do with NowTV themselves and they have no control over when they are/aren't available..

But, if you haven't got it yet, then yes, you are better looking into alternatives...

Also, whoever said anything about GooglePlay? I said "Freeview Play" - look at the link I sent you for more information...

The only other option if you want it to 'just work' is buy a Samsung TV, or something like a Roku

Roku seems to get the best reviews, its my next choice when my WDTV Live no longer does what I need. (which is streaming content off my NAS)

Edited by AlexAtkin

Amazon fire 4k stick is in the black friday sale and might be a better deal, and is a powerful device over its previous versions.

Edited by alchresearch

Thanks for that Ghozer,  I looked through the community and did a search on NowTV but couldn't find the information you have given me.  My TV is almost three years old, I remember asking LG when I got it about the apps and they said it was a licensing issue then.  I contacted them again the other week and they said I cannot get  All4 and the ITV hub on my TV. I will look at the other alternatives  people have suggested.

I purchased a Chromecast for £18 on last years Black Friday! It works a treat, I cast all the catch up tv services  and YouTube from my tablet to the tv.

I have had a mail from Ebay saying that the Roku streaming player is £19, so just trying to compare that and NowTV.

Edited by iansheff

I'd avoid the streamer-type sticks, they're pretty basic.    The fire stick is probably the best of the stick devices, particularly as you can put on your own third party apps which are all the rage for TV and movies nowadays. And I'm not talking Kodi.

The 4K stick better be a huge upgrade over the normal Fire 4K then.  I had it and returned it as it had so many issues.

I'd honestly only risk getting a Roku as everything else seems to have some issue or another.

Edited by AlexAtkin