Cunningham's picalilli

I thought I'd let people know I found a Piccalilli which I think is excellent.

It has all the qualities of the old ones they used to sell full of chunky vegetables.

It is Batts Picalilli and is sold in the Lidl Supermarkets for 79p for a 450g jar.

Cunninghams you can keep your mush!

Happy Days! PopT

I thought I'd let people know I found a Piccalilli which I think is excellent.

It has all the qualities of the old ones they used to sell full of chunky vegetables.

It is Batts Picalilli and is sold in the Lidl Supermarkets for 79p for a 450g jar.

Cunninghams you can keep your mush!

Happy Days! PopT

Thanks for the tip, Pop. Will try it.

Anyone remember what vegetables used to be in the Sheffield made Cunnunghams Picalilli?

Not the currently available one which bears little resemblance. After a quick survey amongst friends we only agree on cauliflower and onion, with gherkin and green beans getting the second highest vote.

Might just be me, but I'm sure it doesn't taste anything  like as good as it did back in the sixties and seventies.  

14 hours ago, BladeSteve said:

Might just be me, but I'm sure it doesn't taste anything  like as good as it did back in the sixties and seventies.  

Think that applies to just about everything Steve.

17 hours ago, BladeSteve said:

It's made by a firm in Manchester now and bears little resemblence to the original.

3 hours ago, hillsbro said:

There are some old threads about Cunningham's piccalilli, such as this one: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/26595-cunninghams-piccalilli-not-the-same/

Thank you hillsbro.  I remembered the previous threads.  In the continued absence of a worthy substitute I think we're going to have a bash at making some.

Despite it not being like it used to be, I'm trying to find a jar of Cunningham's Piccalilli in the East Midlands. Does anyone know of where it can be found or just how far North I have to go to find it in stock? The last jar came from Asda in Sheffield along with a Henderson's relish, but I hoping not to have to go some 70 miles again!

When we were teenagers coming home late, after everybody was in bed, Ma would always leave a bag of white sliced bread, a piece of white cheshire cheese, a jar of piccalilli on the table,  and if you were lucky a biscuit or half a custard tart. Went down well after the pictures, or a couple of pints!

Used to have to walk miles after taking a girlfriend home, but we sang, and you could always see the stars!

In those days the chippies closed at 9 or 10, and there was no take away or late shopper. Saved that last fag for the morning bus to work. cough, cough!

Edited by trastrick