Outdoor activities and events in sheffield

Hello, I'm an outdoor student and will be moving to Sheffield soon. I was wondering if there are any outdoor events happening throughout the year? And also what outdoor activities does Sheffield offer?

Thank you!

As someone who has only recently started walking in the city in a push to get fitter,  so many great spots! 

The 5 Weir trail is a hidden gem, it is used by walkers, cyclists and joggers. You can follow the Don all the way from Hillsborough College down to Meadowhall and beyond. Hardly any (busy) road-crossings, although the council could do with sorting out Neepsend for walkers. 

The Rivelin valley is not so much hidden, really well used, again mainly by walkers and joggers. 

There are all the obvious, and incredibly popular for a reason, spots in the Peaks, around Fox House, Eyam, Grindleford and so on. A friend of mine regularly goes bouldering there as well, there is also abseiling etc. 

Endcliffe Park has a rather popular outdoor gym, although I don't think it'll see a lot of use this winter.

Basketball mainly takes place in Millhouses and at the court by a primary school near the Bath Hotel. 

There are tennis-courts all over, free of charge, Hillsborough and Millhouses jump to mind, I am sure there are others. 

On 11/20/2018 at 1:35 PM, SunflowerExploreer said:

Hello, I'm an outdoor student and will be moving to Sheffield soon. I was wondering if there are any outdoor events happening throughout the year? And also what outdoor activities does Sheffield offer?

Thank you!

Hey up.

As you may already know, Sheffield is located close to the Peak district national park, so lots of outdoor activities (walking, running, cycle trails, sailing, caving, whatever) on the doorstep.

Also, I believe Sheffield has a very active and thriving climbing scene (probably 4 or 5 indoor climbing walls). Also, we have 5 free Saturday morning parkruns.  There's also a Chess in the park, if you enjoy intellectual pursuits in the fresh air.

Edited by Waldo

Cliffhanger is a massive event that is held in the city , July I think. Climbing in particular is massive.