Sheffield University gigs

14 hours ago, jake said:

A twist to the tale is the decline in gigs at the University (Or SU) can be attributed to one of their ex-students. I was a student there in the late 80s and it was quite common to have at least 5+ gigs in a week across the maze bar, lower refec and octagon. Promoters liked the venues, and Sheffield was still on the major touring circuit.

Simon Moran, who was a year or two older than me at Shef Uni, started putting on gigs and was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when the Madchester thing kicked off, set up SJM concerts who have since grown to be one of, if not, the biggest promotion companies in the land.

One of his many business ventures was being involved in the Academy chain - who bought up the old Roxy and turned it into the 02 Academy, and now the majority of gigs that would have gone through the student union are put on at the 02.

That's interesting, what a shame the uni is less of a regular slot in the gig guides these days. Especially as the Octagon was a good venue, and the  so-called 02 Academy is a terrible place to see a band.

Thanks all for the details about the building.

I attended S Uni from 1961-8. I visited the Student Union Building several years ago and didn't recognize any of it. I played trumpet for a jazz band called the Addy Street Five.  I remember us playing as the opening act for the Dutch Swing  College Band. Bands played in a part of the S Union complex called University House.  It contained a large ground floor space overlooked by a balcony. Railings on two sides, so spectators could look down. Maybe it was the refectory, but I don't remember that. Rolf Harris also performed there while I was a student.

If you stand in the middle of the current Foundary venue and were transported back in time 40 years to the exact same spot you'd be stood in the middle of the Lower Refec (tory). Various extensions and refurbs have been done over the decades, and its now a lot bigger, but not tall - as the roof was lowered at the same time they got rid of the balcony.

I recall the time the MIssion played in the lower refec in 86 ish and there were about 1300-1400 people squeezed in there thanks to some creative fire capacity calculations - not long after the council brought the capacity down to a more sensible 750.