Sheffield University gigs

Before the Octagon was built whereabouts did bands play at Sheff Uni? The Kinks, Who etc etc played there, but I'm wondering where exactly. Is the building still there?

I have seen smaller bands play in "Bar-one" downstairs, and also larger touring bands in what used to be the "Lower Refectory", this was the lower part of the union building that was perpendicular to Western Bank towards the Childrens Hosp end of the original buildings.

I have seen smaller bands play in "Bar-one" downstairs, and also larger touring bands in what used to be the "Lower Refectory", this was the lower part of the union building that was perpendicular to Western Bank towards the Childrens Hosp end of the original buildings.

Correct VR. The lower refectory was used in the '60s. I recall seeing, among others, the Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann and Johnny Kidd and the Pirates there.

echo.

So was this building on the students' union side of Western Bank?

The building that contained the Upper and Lower Refectory that was used for gigs and discos that you mention is still there. Its been added to and extended many times.

The original structures are best seen from Glossop Road/Durham Road junction. From left to right:

Octagon- Staff/Upper/Lower Refectory- Link Building and Bar One- Graves building, the original Students Union.

In the '60s the entrance to the students' union was via a footbridge from Brook Hill. You couldn't gain entry from Glossop Road. That bridge has disappeared over the years and now I see there's a subway from the Arts Tower side of the road.

There are of course many more students at the Uni plus much busier roads nowadays as compared to way back then.

As Annie B mentions the building has also been altered and extended.

echo.

Only went once and that was to see Rick Wakeman. That must have been in 1975. Used to play his three albums constantly in the car cassette. And that’s a good cue to  see if Alexa can find it...

I remember the students  union on western bank, I think the year was around 1969,  went to a see the crazy world of Arthur Brown there, singing his hit "fire", with flames coming from the top of his head!!!!, those were the days ?

This quote was from earlier in his career.

" During an early appearance at the Windsor Festival in 1967, Brown wore a colander on his head soaked in methanol. The fuel poured over his head by accident caught fire; two bystanders doused the flames by pouring beer on Brown’s head, preventing any serious injury.[3] The flaming head then became an Arthur Brown signature "

Edited by stevenorfolk

I'm just trying to picture if the 'Lower Refectory' space where the gigs of the 1960s/70s took place is still essentially the same space today? Maybe it's changed out of all recognition. Whenever I've been to gigs down there in recent years (at Fusion/Foundry) it seems  slightly different each time.

Has the 'Interval' always been a bar or was that space used for other things?

2 hours ago, stevenorfolk said:

I remember the students  union on western bank, I think the year was around 1969,  went to a see the crazy world of Arthur Brown there, singing his hit "fire", with flames coming from the top of his head!!!!, those were the days ?

This quote was from earlier in his career.

" During an early appearance at the Windsor Festival in 1967, Brown wore a colander on his head soaked in methanol. The fuel poured over his head by accident caught fire; two bystanders doused the flames by pouring beer on Brown’s head, preventing any serious injury.[3] The flaming head then became an Arthur Brown signature "

He played the Boardwalk a few years ago. Amazing that he had a career essentially based on one song (which presumably he always kept until the end).

3 hours ago, Bilge said:

I'm just trying to picture if the 'Lower Refectory' space where the gigs of the 1960s/70s took place is still essentially the same space today? Maybe it's changed out of all recognition. Whenever I've been to gigs down there in recent years (at Fusion/Foundry) it seems  slightly different each time.

Sorry Bilge, can't help you there. I haven't been in the SU building since the '60s passed me by!

echo.

5 hours ago, Bilge said:

The Fusion/Foundry area was the Lower Refectory and Bar on the ground floor. On the north and west side their was a balcony with toilets, showers and cloakroom with the southside being a glass wall.

The Interval is in what was called the Graves building which had two large areas, a cinema downstairs and a 'restaurant' upstairs. The Students Union owned and ran this building, the University built, owned and ran the refectories- the middle bit was on some kind of lease to the SU.

All Students Unions  lost their charitable status and Sheffield Students Union was the last independent Students Union in England changing the character of Graves forever.

A twist to the tale is the decline in gigs at the University (Or SU) can be attributed to one of their ex-students. I was a student there in the late 80s and it was quite common to have at least 5+ gigs in a week across the maze bar, lower refec and octagon. Promoters liked the venues, and Sheffield was still on the major touring circuit.

Simon Moran, who was a year or two older than me at Shef Uni, started putting on gigs and was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time when the Madchester thing kicked off, set up SJM concerts who have since grown to be one of, if not, the biggest promotion companies in the land.

One of his many business ventures was being involved in the Academy chain - who bought up the old Roxy and turned it into the 02 Academy, and now the majority of gigs that would have gone through the student union are put on at the 02.