How can I stop cats

Could anyone advise me of a way to stop cats toileting in my planters,ever since they have being emptied,I wouldn't want to hurt them just stop them

His I have tried that sort of stuff & the sonic type they aren't working unfortunately but thanks for your reply

If they are empty cant you just put a piece of wood over them till you need them next so that the cats cant get in?

Cut  several sheets of newspaper/cardboard and keep it wet in the top of each planter   I find this works OK

Will try the newspaper idea. Janis your idea may work lol

I fold chicken wire over the top. This also discourages squirrels from digging up bulbs. The temptation to connect the wire to the mains has been resisted!

lemon and orange peel, placed around the border of the area you don't want them to go..

Thanks for your replies ,I'm  going through them to find one that works thanks all

Used coffee grounds are supposed to deter cats.
Starbucks give away  bags of the stuff (the one near M&S in Meadowhall does anyway).

Lots of pointy sticks, stuck into the soil so that 2" shows above the surface.  You have to plant them quite thickly but it really does work, and it's free. 

Easier to work around plants than chicken wire, and lasts longer than the scent based repellents which tend to wear off when it rains.

Edited by Mayfly182