Sheffield MP Angela Smith loses vote of confidence

10 hours ago, linaker said:

According to her Wikipedia entry, she: 

• was one of 98 MPs who voted unsuccessfully to keep their expense details secret in 2007. 

• submitted expenses claims for four beds for a one bedroom flat in London

• employs her husband as her Senior Parliamentary Assistant on a salary up to £40,000.

She was my MP for a time, before she decided that Penistone and Stockbridge was the better prospect. I thought she was unimpressive  and unconcerned about my part of the constituency. She seemed to be most bothered about birds of prey in the peak district. I'm not at all surprised that more than half of her local party has no confidence in her.

Around that time she was due to do a meet and greet with a local social activity group I used to be a member of. We got advance instructions, from her, that under no circumstances was anyone to mention her expenses claims.

5 hours ago, max said:

The boundary changes meant that the original Hillsborough constituency was split into two, half (3 wards) went into David Blunkett's constituency and became Brightside & Hillsborough. The other 3 wards went to make up the new constituency of Pensitone & Stocksbridge which under no circumstances could be called a better prospect.

Utter nonsense. There were 2 not 3 other wards and one went to David Blunkett's constituency and the other to Sheffield Central. As David Blunkett was firmly in place, she had the choice between contesting Penistone and Stocksbridge (2010 Maj 3049) or Sheffield Central. (2010 Maj 165). Penistone and Stocksbridge was the better prospect. It is worth noting that whilst Paul Blomfield  has increased that majority to 27, 748; Angela Smith has managed to reduce hers to 1, 322.

5 hours ago, max said:

I've no idea where this more than half her local party came from, 27 supported the motion with 20 against. With a membership of several hundred that's hardly 5% let alone a half.

27 out of 47 is 57% which is more than half. If her constituency has a delegate structure, then those 47 are representatives of the several hundred members. Your silly statement is like saying only 0.001% of the country voted to trigger article 50, because the general population did not participate in  the parliamentary vote. 

8 hours ago, sheffbag said:

How do you know what your constituants voted?  i cant find an accurate breakdown by contistuency . Sheffield as a whole voted 51-49% in favour of leave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36617899

But there is no breakdown further than that i can find. If you have it then please give the reference as i would love to know how my own voted.

Labour Mp's are in the position that regardless whether their voters voted leave or remain the party stance is not to accept the current deal. Is she supposed to vote against her party wishes as its not a free vote? She showed her support to leave (her voters wishes based on a city wide result) by refusing to vote against it which was the only thing she could have done to increase the bill's chances of going through.

Here you are,  Penistone and Stocksbridge parliamentary constituency

Votes for Penistone and Stocksbridge

Leave

60.65%

REMAIN

39.35%

Apologies for the post's I am not the worlds best at this cutting and pasting jobby. For some reason it came on twice, I tried to remove the second and ended up with three. Laptop 3 Angel 0. Sorry.

Edited by Groose
fixed quotes

On 11/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, tzijlstra said:

You're a UKIP voter...

Angela Smith is one of those hard-working (allegedly) but threading water MPs. When she was our MP in Hillsborough I never saw her on the campaign trail because her seat was bulletproof. To comfy in the pluche me thinks, but then that is a major issue I have with the FPTP system...

Smith is my MP ,and she voted to remain  in the EU , going against her constituents who voted strongly to leave. She dosnt represent the wishes of the majority of the people who she represents ,so i have no sympathy  for her. 

2 hours ago, linaker said:

Utter nonsense. There were 2 not 3 other wards and one went to David Blunkett's constituency and the other to Sheffield Central. As David Blunkett was firmly in place, she had the choice between contesting Penistone and Stocksbridge (2010 Maj 3049) or Sheffield Central. (2010 Maj 165). Penistone and Stocksbridge was the better prospect. It is worth noting that whilst Paul Blomfield  has increased that majority to 27, 748; Angela Smith has managed to reduce hers to 1, 322.

27 out of 47 is 57% which is more than half. If her constituency has a delegate structure, then those 47 are representatives of the several hundred members. Your silly statement is like saying only 0.001% of the country voted to trigger article 50, because the general population did not participate in  the parliamentary vote. 

That Sheffield Central was to briefly become a marginal seat was a great surprise to everyone, this would not have been known  to Angela Smith.

The historically safe seat had absorbed the Broomhill wards and some of the natural Labour voters had forgotten that they did not have to vote Liberal anymore, as they had for 30  years when  in Hallam, to deny a seat to the Conservatives.  Neither had  Labour put in enough effort to motivate these voters who had found removed from a constituency they had defined by their deciding floating vote..

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That Sheffield Central was to briefly become a marginal seat was a great surprise to everyone, this would not have been known  to Angela Smith.

The historically safe seat had absorbed the Broomhill wards and some of the natural Labour voters had forgotten that they did not have to vote Liberal anymore, as they had for 30  years when  in Hallam, to deny a seat to the Conservatives.  Neither had  Labour put in enough effort to motivate these voters who had found removed from a constituency they had defined by their deciding floating vote..

They ‘forgot’? Really? What about all the Liberal voters who no longer voted for Nick Clegg? Did they forget they normally voted Liberal?

One of my good friends works for the ERC and it certainly wasn’t a surprise to him or them that the seat was going to become marginal.

Edited by Hook

14 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I am a Ukip voter, but as it has now almost collapsed into oblivion  (since Nigel left) I feel my vote would be better placed elsewhere. That means selecting another Party to back. So here is the dilemma I am faced with. 

Greens, just a set of idealists with no sensible ideas.

LibDems, not much better than the Greens.

Labour, unelectable while Corbyn is at the helm. Looking at his "dream team" confirms my opinion.  As above, my Labour MP does not take any notice of the majority of Her voters, so my vote will not go to Her.

Conservatives, Told the voters that Brexit would be implimented, Brexit means Brexit was their mantra. So we the voters were lied to, as this Brexit deal does not deliver Brexit in any way. The problem of having a REMOANER as PM in my opinion. No vote here.

I think my vote (when it's due) will be for the MRLP or some other small Party.

Angel1.

It doesn't matter who you vote for now  ANY party is better than UKIP.   Nigel Farage is the  most horrible creature ever to enter politics. He is under investigation for numerous reasons.  You disappoint me Angel. As someone who is dependent on the Health service, YOU yourself are more dependent on European protection than you realise. Corbyn is a fence sitter, he's let a lot of us down. Its time for the  old duffer to step aside. The EU isn't perfect, but its better than the alternative.

BTW, you aren't a Trump admirer are you ??? 

4 minutes ago, EUCLID11 said:

It doesn't matter who you vote for now  ANY party is better than UKIP.   Nigel Farage is the  most horrible creature ever to enter politics. He is under investigation for numerous reasons.  You disappoint me Angel. As someone who is dependent on the Health service, YOU yourself are more dependent on European protection than you realise. Corbyn is a fence sitter, he's let a lot of us down. Its time for the  old duffer to step aside. The EU isn't perfect, but its better than the alternative.

I get a bit frustrated when people say Corbyn is a fence sitter, yet defend MPs like Angela Smith who are part of the reason Corbyn hasn’t been able to achieve very much. He’s constantly torn between trying to keep the PLP happy and the members who often have contrasting and divisive views and opinions. 

I am certainly not what Angela refers to as ‘hard left’ and I’ve done a fair bit of campaigning for her over the years, but had I attended the meeting I would have been in full support of the motion, she has undermined the democratically elected leader of the party on too many occasions. 

P.s  I didn’t mean to imply you were defending Angela Smith (I read the post back and that’s how it sounded to me) but your post made me think of how many people to you have a similar opinion and then defend her!

Edited by Hook
Clarifying my comments.

54 minutes ago, Hook said:

They ‘forgot’? Really? What about all the Liberal voters who no longer voted for Nick Clegg? Did they forget they normally voted Liberal?

One of my good friends works for the ERC and it certainly wasn’t a surprise to him or them that the seat was going to become marginal.

The Broomhill wards were also all Conservative once but had in recent times seen a significantly higher Labour vote and Councillors than in the rest of Hallam - indicating that the Broomhill was voting Labour locally and Liberal nationally. 

Perhaps it was momentum that temporarily increased the LD vote- now long since fizzled out.

"What about all the Liberal voters who no longer voted for Nick Clegg? Did they forget they normally voted Liberal?"  The Election being referred is that of 2010 and Nick Clegg won with an increased share of the vote but the party lost out nationally.

The quote you tried to make should have read 'forgotten'.

What is ERC?  I hope nobody gambles on their ability to predict future marginal seats.

4 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Again, this is complete nonsense. The seat lost rock solid Labour Burngreave and gained leafy Broomhill and Walkley. That Sheffield Central was a marginal seat in 2010 was a surprise to no-one, except perhaps you, and the Labour Party expected to lose it. Angela Smith was well aware of this. 

And far from Labour not putting in effort to motivate the voters, they concentrated on the constituency in 2010 like never before (or since). 

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The Broomhill wards were also all Conservative once but had in recent times seen a significantly higher Labour vote and Councillors than in the rest of Hallam - indicating that the Broomhill was voting Labour locally and Liberal nationally. 

That will be news to the 3 Liberal Councillors in Broomhill in 2010 and is also contradicted by the Liberals winning the Council seat in that year by a majority of nearly  2000 votes over Labour. If you are gambling on the outcomes of election votes, you would do better to set fire to your stake.  

8 hours ago, EUCLID11 said:

Re Trump, a real marmite figure isn't he. I can take him or leave him is the honest answer, some of the things he does are bordering on the insane, but he is very popular with a large portion of our American friends, and it looks like he might get to do a second term, somehow.

Re the health service, I had 21 years of care from it before we joined the corrupt EU, and managed very well with it is the answer.

Angel.

9 hours ago, EUCLID11 said:

What the heck is wrong with Donald Trump , or are you saying the majority of the population in America are wrong as well as the majority in this country ?