Sheffield MP Angela Smith loses vote of confidence

Ok, lets see how her voters react to that info at the next election.

I suspect that will depend on what Labour is proposing nationally.

If Brexit does actually go through and it's effects become apparent before another general election, those MPs who refused to toe the party line and instead stand up for the interests of her constituents may increase their vote.

I suspect there will be an awful lot of denial and revisionism over Brexit over the next few years. At least when Angela Smith stands up and says that she has always opposed leaving the EU, unlike many others, she will be able to prove it.

She could not even save the post office at Burncross for her voters so she will have no interest in backing her majority of voters with regards to Brexit.

how could she haved save it though?

I suspect that will depend on what Labour is proposing nationally.

If Brexit does actually go through and it's effects become apparent before another general election, those MPs who refused to toe the party line and instead stand up for the interests of her constituents may increase their vote.

I suspect there will be an awful lot of denial and revisionism over Brexit over the next few years. At least when Angela Smith stands up and says that she has always opposed leaving the EU, unlike many others, she will be able to prove it.

Perhaps. It still doesn't change the fact she isn't voting in accordance with the very clear numbers in the referendum in her constituency. However it is dressed up, I don't think it is acceptable.

Lets see what happens, but it will mean if she stands there is a high likliehood of the seat falling.

Perhaps. It still doesn't change the fact she isn't voting in accordance with the very clear numbers in the referendum in her constituency. However it is dressed up, I don't think it is acceptable.

The same is true of Dominic Raab - who was until a few days ago brexit secretary. It's amazing how calls to vote as their constituents did only seems to apply to remain supporting MPs.

The thing is that MPs are supposed to be representatives not delegates. They are there to represent the best interests of their constituents as they see it, not as delegates mandated by policies. The MP isn't directed to vote as mandated by their constituency labour (or conservative) party, but to vote how they believe serves their constituents best interests. This is what the Constituency Labour Parties who are threatening deselection fail to understand. They are there to represent all the constituents, not just the few who turn up on the night to vote for local policy. They also represent all the labour voters who aren't party members, and all the constituents who didn't vote labour. Their responsibility is to everyone.

She is my MP and as such I expect her to impliment her constituants wishes. At the vote to back the brexit bill she declined to vote. I cannot now vote for her as she is going against the majority of her constituants. I assume she will lose the seat at the next election.

Angel1.

You're a UKIP voter...

Angela Smith is one of those hard-working (allegedly) but threading water MPs. When she was our MP in Hillsborough I never saw her on the campaign trail because her seat was bulletproof. To comfy in the pluche me thinks, but then that is a major issue I have with the FPTP system...

Their responsibility is to everyone.

Exactly.

And as someone pointed out, you can't vote 65% for something and 35% for something else. You either vote with the majority thus ignoring the concerns of the rest, or you vote in the interests of your constituents as a whole and only you can decide that.

Exactly, Top Cats Hat. SO she has to vote the way she believe is best for her constituents. I suspect abstaining was because believing Brexit wasn't going to help constituents she couldn't vote in favour of it, and she was maybe worried that voting against it would indeed lead to deselection given her CLP views. She wasn't going to be able to win on this whatever unless she voted in a way she believed would be bad for her constituents.

Edited by Helj

According to her Wikipedia entry, she: 

• was one of 98 MPs who voted unsuccessfully to keep their expense details secret in 2007. 

• submitted expenses claims for four beds for a one bedroom flat in London

• employs her husband as her Senior Parliamentary Assistant on a salary up to £40,000.

She was my MP for a time, before she decided that Penistone and Stockbridge was the better prospect. I thought she was unimpressive  and unconcerned about my part of the constituency. She seemed to be most bothered about birds of prey in the peak district. I'm not at all surprised that more than half of her local party has no confidence in her.

On 11/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, tzijlstra said:

You're a UKIP voter...

Angela Smith is one of those hard-working (allegedly) but threading water MPs. When she was our MP in Hillsborough I never saw her on the campaign trail because her seat was bulletproof. To comfy in the pluche me thinks, but then that is a major issue I have with the FPTP system...

I am a Ukip voter, but as it has now almost collapsed into oblivion  (since Nigel left) I feel my vote would be better placed elsewhere. That means selecting another Party to back. So here is the dilemma I am faced with. 

Greens, just a set of idealists with no sensible ideas.

LibDems, not much better than the Greens.

Labour, unelectable while Corbyn is at the helm. Looking at his "dream team" confirms my opinion.  As above, my Labour MP does not take any notice of the majority of Her voters, so my vote will not go to Her.

Conservatives, Told the voters that Brexit would be implimented, Brexit means Brexit was their mantra. So we the voters were lied to, as this Brexit deal does not deliver Brexit in any way. The problem of having a REMOANER as PM in my opinion. No vote here.

I think my vote (when it's due) will be for the MRLP or some other small Party.

Angel1.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, ANGELFIRE1 said:

She is my MP and as such I expect her to impliment her constituants wishes. At the vote to back the brexit bill she declined to vote. I cannot now vote for her as she is going against the majority of her constituants. I assume she will lose the seat at the next election.

Angel1.

How do you know what your constituants voted?  i cant find an accurate breakdown by contistuency . Sheffield as a whole voted 51-49% in favour of leave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-36617899

But there is no breakdown further than that i can find. If you have it then please give the reference as i would love to know how my own voted.

Labour Mp's are in the position that regardless whether their voters voted leave or remain the party stance is not to accept the current deal. Is she supposed to vote against her party wishes as its not a free vote? She showed her support to leave (her voters wishes based on a city wide result) by refusing to vote against it which was the only thing she could have done to increase the bill's chances of going through.

7 hours ago, linaker said:

She was my MP for a time, before she decided that Penistone and Stockbridge was the better prospect. I thought she was unimpressive  and unconcerned about my part of the constituency. She seemed to be most bothered about birds of prey in the peak district. I'm not at all surprised that more than half of her local party has no confidence in her.

The boundary changes meant that the original Hillsborough constituency was split into two, half (3 wards) went into David Blunkett's constituency and became Brightside & Hillsborough. The other 3 wards went to make up the new constituency of Pensitone & Stocksbridge which under no circumstances could be called a better prospect.

As to the beds nonsense, two of the "beds" were a double bed and the other two were a double pull out sofa which, when used as a bed,  accommodated visiting constituents.

I've no idea where this more than half her local party came from, 27 supported the motion with 20 against. With a membership of several hundred that's hardly 5% let alone a half.

Edited by max