Sheffield MP Angela Smith loses vote of confidence

Labour MP hits out at 'hard-left cabal' after losing vote of confidence

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/99939/labour-mp-hits-out-hard-left-cabal-after-losing

Actvists in the Penistone and Stocksbridge constituency Labour party said they were unhappy with Anegla Smith's criticism of Jeremy Corbyn.

The motion of no confidence was passed by 27 votes to 20 at a meeting of the CLP's general management committee on Friday night.

In a statement, the MP said: "I take my responsibilities as a member of parliament very seriously and my first priority is always to do my job, to the best of my ability. It is frankly astonishing that a cabal of hard-left members have absorbed everyone's precious time and energy on a divisive motion of no confidence.

"Given that the country is facing its biggest crisis since Suez, one would have thought their attention would be better focused on the huge decision facing the country, a decision that will affect the lives of every one of my constituents for years to come. I wil continue to prioritise our area and my constituents and will not be distracted by political posturing such as this."

In a statement, the MP said: "I take my responsibilities as a member of parliament very seriously and my first priority is always to do my job, to the best of my ability. It is frankly astonishing that a cabal of hard-left members have absorbed everyone's precious time and energy on a divisive motion of no confidence.

Unfortunately not at all surprising

Guest makapaka

Idiots.

Hope they never ask why we’ve been stuck under a Tory government for nigh on a decade.

Idiots.

Hope they never ask why we’ve been stuck under a Tory government for nigh on a decade.

Angela Smith has hung on to the constituency with a much reduced majority. They may have shot themselves in the foot. Another step away from Labours core voters by the new kids rampaging the party.

some good could come of this if they select Jared O'Mara to contest the seat

some good could come of this if they select Jared O'Mara to contest the seat

Will he do as much work as he did previously. He cant do any less.

She is my MP and as such I expect her to impliment her constituants wishes. At the vote to back the brexit bill she declined to vote. I cannot now vote for her as she is going against the majority of her constituants. I assume she will lose the seat at the next election.

Angel1.

She should stand as an independent.

She is my MP and as such I expect her to impliment her constituants wishes. At the vote to back the brexit bill she declined to vote. I cannot now vote for her as she is going against the majority of her constituants. I assume she will lose the seat at the next election.

Angel1.

I wouldn't vote for her on the same basis.

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 18:21 ----------

She should stand as an independent.

She'd then split the Labour vote in a marginal consituency. Coupled with fact that the new candidate would be from the group that ousted her, it would most likely mean the seat changing party hands.

Idiots.

but you could argue that its because of Labour MP's like her constantly attacking their leader that actually makes the Labour Party appear un electable, voters may question why they should vote for Labour if their own MP's are not happy with the party.

Angel1.

That's nonsense.

If she believes that voting to leave the EU would damage the majority of her constituents, why on earth would she vote for it?

That makes no sense! :suspect:

Idiots.

Is it because people in the south and rural areas vote for them ?

---------- Post added 18-11-2018 at 08:23 ----------

but you could argue that its because of Labour MP's like her constantly attacking their leader that actually makes the Labour Party appear un electable, voters may question why they should vote for Labour if their own MP's are not happy with the party.

At the 2017 GE it was exactly the same, constant criticism, but Labour got 40% of the vote, up from 29% in 2015 under Milliband.

As everything has backfired on the Labour right, including Smith, they’ve tried the «* Corbyns «* a racist bit, in cahoots with the Printed Press, ( Guardian etc).

That may have had some negative effect on support for Corbyn, although Labour took a council seat from the Tories two weeks ago in Denby Dale