£10k fine for football violence

On 11/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, drolnhoj said:

They ought to have sentenced him to 5 years watching the owls and :hihi:cleaning Big Dave's boots. ?

Very harsh, nobody deserves that. :hihi:??

On 11/16/2018 at 5:34 PM, drolnhoj said:

They ought to have sentenced him to 5 years watching the owls and cleaning Big Dave's boots. ?

40 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Very harsh, nobody deserves that. :hihi:??

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, geared said:

No place for violence in Football, idiots like that need a firm hand.

Right...

No place in society for wanton violence, not just football, maybe large fines would be better a better deterrent than jail time for some, as it seems some just don't care how often they are sent down …... just a thought.

Edited by Michael_W

If people consciously choose to engage in consensual violence, why should we prevent them? Obviously I don't mean where one person is violently attacking an unwilling victim; but where people want to engage in violence and accept them may get hurt, let them. 

Would need conditions, participants would have to agree to, such as:

Take out private medical insurance to treat injuries.

Be of sound judgement and aware of potential downsides (injury, possibly death).

Not cause damage to property.

Events happen in a controlled environment.

Edited by Waldo

39 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If people consciously choose to engage in consensual violence, why should we prevent them? Obviously I don't mean where one person is violently attacking an unwilling victim; but where people want to engage in violence and accept them may get hurt, let them. 

Be of sound judgement and aware of potential downsides (injury, possibly death).

can't you already do that? Things like mixed martial arts look extremely violent from what I have seen. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

Yup, leave em too it. It gets its out of their system and reduces the chances of Joe Public getting inadvertently mixed up in it. On one level it's fine.

Practically it can't happen. In boxing and mma , there are rules, referees etc. Hooliganism is by definition an uncontrolled fight between unknown numbers of people.  I do like the idea though, but sadly impractical and illegal.

Maybe sentence offenders to some sort of organised activity, like boxing, to get the aggression out in a controlled environment.

I just think a lot of resources go in to keeping violent 'fans' appart, and wonder how eager people would be to fight if they knew no-one was going to stop them, and that there was a significant risk of being seriously hurt or killed.

I'd have no problem with it; given the right conditions. So, no access to NHS for treatment of injuries as a result of fighting (must have private medical cover), no risk of damage to non-participants parties (either their person, or their property),  only available to people of sound mind who are not being coherced etc.

I'm sure I've seen on TV, where they (fans of football teams) have organised mass fights in Russia, and while you can't take what you see on TV as gospel truth, they did seem pretty well organised, with people monitoring and preventing anyone from being too seriously maimed.

Edited by Waldo

13 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I just think a lot of resources go in to keeping violent 'fans' appart, and wonder how eager people would be to fight if they knew no-one was going to stop them, and that there was a significant risk of being seriously hurt or killed.

I'd have no problem with it; given the right conditions. So, no access to NHS for treatment of injuries as a result of fighting (must have private medical cover), no risk of damage to non-participants parties (either their person, or their property),  only available to people of sound mind who are not being coherced etc.

I'm sure I've seen on TV, where they (fans of football teams) have organised mass fights in Russia, and while you can't take what you see on TV as gospel truth, they did seem pretty well organised, with people monitoring and preventing anyone from being too seriously maimed.

An utterly absurd proposition, which will quite rightly never see the light of day.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

If that was the case why do you not see inter-firm boxing or MMA being organised?

They just want to roll around as a mob and act like a bunch of animals is why.

20 minutes ago, geared said:

If that was the case why do you not see inter-firm boxing or MMA being organised?

They just want to roll around as a mob and act like a bunch of animals is why.

That's right actually. There's that, and also other 'psychological' aspects around territorial behaviour, pack mentality etc etc. If it was only about having a punch up with another willing participant, it could find other outlets. eg boxing mma. The only aspect I have sympathy for, is if there are two clear mobs hell bent on getting at each other and both mobs clearly want it, then leave them to it. Unfortunately the 'private medical care' and the average participant don't go hand in hand. Neither do a gentlemanly queensbury rules attitude. So, it aint going to work.

19 hours ago, Halibut said:

An utterly absurd proposition, which will quite rightly never see the light of day.

It's not that absurd actually, it happens a lot on the continent and Eastern Europe, has been going on for many years and in some cases has spawned fight clubs and mma training amongst young men who may arguably have been drawn to more criminal activity, go and do a bit of googling and youtubing it's all there.

Edited by Michael_W

steal a car, fail to stop,  drive dangerously, crash it, no insurance, no license, 50th offense  and another disqualification  and £100 fine and community order

I wonder why they got such a heavy (but well deserved fine) when you look at most of the punishments that are dished out these days