Second referendum time? SF Poll

Vaati

As you can't seem to post like adults, this thread is now closed. You are not to post a new thread or derail any other thread on the subject.

Message added by Vaati

Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?  

190 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wont be voting anyway Im sick of it all

47 minutes ago, BrexitGuy said:

Maybe you could ask some of the remainers if they know, seeing as they are convinced there will be a second vote, which there won't be. 

I wouldn't be so sure. Let's look at the options.

No deal. Supported by probably 30-40 Tory MPs and Kate Hoey. Hillary Benn's amendment means that is now very unlikely that Parliament will allow us to 'fall out of the EU' by default.

May's deal. Not enough support last week and unlikely it has any more now given the EU's stated position that the negotiations on the withdrawal deal have ended.

No Brexit. Would require a simple vote in Parliament to stop it but I doubt that it would happen on May's watch as she has nailed what is left of her tattered reputation on 'delivering the Brexit people voted for' whatever that might mean.

A second referendum. Most MPs and now almost certainly most of the population wish to remain in the EU. I have always said that just as the first referendum didn't oblige us to leave the EU, we don't need the permission of a second one to halt the process. However, I suspect most MPs would be deeply uneasy about halting Brexit without the 'legitimacy' of another referendum, so when push comes to shove they will support the idea. Timing is not an issue. Any legislation passed to enable a second referendum could easily contain a revokation of Article 50 until such a time as the matter was decided.

Six months ago, a second referendum was being talked about as a fantasy of remain supporters. Now it has support on all sides and very importantly, is being considered by some cabinet ministers.

A second referendum is on its way. The leave campaign knows it and has already started preparations. 

55 minutes ago, Litotes said:

Democracy includes the opportunity to change one's mind doesn't it?

Only if the government and parliament allow it though as its them that are in charge of our democratic process and not the people. 

32 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Let's look at the options.

You missed out one: leave without a deal.

Literally the first of the options he posted.

59 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Hillary Benn's amendment means that is now very unlikely that Parliament will allow us to 'fall out of the EU' by default

Has his amendment been been put before parliament?  Has it got the majority backing from parliament?

22 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Literally the first of the options he posted.

Yes you are correct. 

Most MPs and now almost certainly most of the population wish to remain in the EU.

Many MP's may want it but most of the population have never been asked. BTW Anti-Brexit Labour backbencher Chuka Umunna has stated that there is no  majority in parliament for holding another referendum but things could change.

Timing is not an issue.

It certainly is, even more so if it gets to be multiple choice.

Edited by apelike

5 hours ago, BrexitGuy said:

Surprisingly, the majority of our visitors come through the East side of the country, usually in a dinghy or in the back of a truck.

Is that *really* a surprise.. given the UK's location in relation to other land masses? Nope...... :?

I'm pretty sure my Polish doctor and Greek dentist didn't  come on the back of a truck, or dinghy.

You've seen the chaos at Calais, which the camps were set up as holding areas.

Those camps didn't hold EU citizens.

These people managed to get across several EU countries with the target being the UK. 

.. and they still will, leaving the EU won't make a jot of difference since, again, these people aren't EU citizens and were never subject to FoM :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Litotes said:

Democracy includes the opportunity to change one's mind doesn't it?

Certainly does, the probabilities are only going up:

https://www.politico.eu/article/theresa-may-brexit-uk-second-referendum/

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I don't see how leaving the EU will make any difference to refugees and illegal economic migrants, none of whom were coming from the EU in the first place.

Quite, if anything, it reduces our influence to bring in measures to try to control them before they get here.

53 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Quite, if anything, it reduces our influence to bring in measures to try to control them before they get here.

France has already said that it will no longer 'police' our border at Calais or Sangatte, whatever deal is done.

2 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

France has already said that it will no longer 'police' our border at Calais or Sangatte, whatever deal is done.

let them look after them then seeing as they are in their country 

5 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

That does seem pretty obvious doesn't it !! 

After all, they let them in the other side.

I suppose it will be the Brexiteers fault though!!!!

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Maybe if France policed their borders correctly these people wouldnt get the chance to get to Calais or Sangettev in the first place. 

8 minutes ago, ricgem2002 said:

That was what happened when people were camped at Calais trying to hitch rides on lorries across the Channel as they were hampering the operation of a major site of economic importance to France.

Now that they are largely crossing the Channel in small boats, I'm sure the French authorities will soon be handing out life vests and waving them goodbye.

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

That was what happened when people were camped at Calais trying to hitch rides on lorries across the Channel as they were hampering the operation of a major site of economic importance to France.

Now that they are largely crossing the Channel in small boats, I'm sure the French authorities will soon be handing out life vests and waving them goodbye.

and your happy with that ? how many letters have you sent to the governments of these countries asking why they not looking after  these people ?