Second referendum time? SF Poll

Vaati

As you can't seem to post like adults, this thread is now closed. You are not to post a new thread or derail any other thread on the subject.

Message added by Vaati

Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?  

190 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Should we have a 2nd referendum now we know the deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • I wont be voting anyway Im sick of it all

IT, graphic art, software engineering, realtime graphics, CGI, and audio entertainment related.

Then there's the other's.... people who work as carers, in shops, charities.... one runs a fairground.

All would rather remain than have a no-deal Brexit.

maybe your sectors are more aligned to remain? i dont know, in my circle its mainly Brexit led, hospitality, manufacturers, importers &exporters, construction and wholesalers that just want out and no second referendum just get on with it and we will survive there will be no implosion.

As Europeans yes.

Ireland don't get to decide. The Good Friday Agreement leaves it up to the people of Northern Ireland only. There's not, yet, a majority of people in the north who'd support reunification.

maybe your sectors are more aligned to remain? i dont know, in my circle its mainly Brexit led, hospitality, manufacturers, importers &exporters, construction and wholesalers that just want out and no second referendum just get on with it and we will survive there will be no implosion.

Import/Export people that want a hard brexit??

They're brave.

Import/Export people that want a hard brexit??

Indeed, according to government estimates, it would add £20bn p.a to their costs!

I don't believe a word of it.

Edited by Magilla

I work for the most highly regarded British engineering company and we definitely want to remain.

Poppycock, who are your circle of friends?

In February/March this year, a clear majority of CBI member companies – which together employ nearly 7 million people, about one third of private sector employees – informed us that it would be in the best interests of their business and the wider UK economy to remain inside the EU.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/business-issues/brexit-and-eu-negotiations/faqs-eu/

Keep up.

The People’s Vote are advocating three choices on the ballot.

1) Accept the deal that’s been brokered.

2) Leave without a deal.

3) Remain in the EU

The big flaw in that hypothetical advocate is the option which attracts the most votes is likely to have less than 50% of all votes cast.

Does Ireland want to unite?

Yes.

Since 1918 (100 years ago) there has always been a majority for an independant Ireland. The North was partitioned in 1921 to divide that majority. Now it is pretty much 50:50 in the North and there are people in the 'Protestant/unionist/loyalist community' who wish to remain in the EU who could tip the balance in favour of reunification.

Back on topic, I have always said that a second referendum is not necessary. The 2016 referendum was advisory only and neither Leave nor Remain could attract more than 38% of the electorate. The referendum did not oblige a government to leave the EU therefore a referendum is not needed to sack the whole sorry mess off and halt Article 50.

It just needs a government with enough political courage to put the interests of the country first.

I need help. Are the advocates of à «* Peoples Vote*» saying they want a Second Referendum or are they advocating a vote on the current brokered deal ? I’d probably agree to the latter but not to the former.

The country has voted and that should be respected. I voted Remain and as I own a property in Europe i’ll probably be negatively affected but still believe we should accept the decision.

Keep up.

The People’s Vote are advocating three choices on the ballot.

1) Accept the deal that’s been brokered.

2) Leave without a deal.

3) Remain in the EU

That choice wouldn't get past the electoral commision, clearly.

As you know, it's designed to split the Leave vote and put the Remain vote on one option, hence it wouldn't be the status of a new referendum question.

Yes.

Since 1918 (100 years ago) there has always been a majority for an independant Ireland. The North was partitioned in 1921 to divide that majority. Now it is pretty much 50:50 in the North and there are people in the 'Protestant/unionist/loyalist community' who wish to remain in the EU who could tip the balance in favour of reunification.

Back on topic, I have always said that a second referendum is not necessary. The 2016 referendum was advisory only and neither Leave nor Remain could attract more than 38% of the electorate. The referendum did not oblige a government to leave the EU therefore a referendum is not needed to sack the whole sorry mess off and halt Article 50.

It just needs a government with enough political courage to put the interests of the country first.

I always thought the Protestant/Catholic split in the Six Counties was 60%/40% ? Have demographics changed that much ? Not sure that even the Remain voting Unionist vote would want political union with Ireland. Very unlikely that the island of Ireland vote as a whole would be a credible expectation

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 18:54 ----------

I work for the most highly regarded British engineering company and we definitely want to remain.

It’s all too late. Both major parties say that they respeçt the decision to Leave. The Lib Dems have 8 MPS and Greens 1, SNP, around 35 I think. The horse has bolted