School "Unlawfully" Discriminated a Pupil-Forge Valley

But why shouldnt corporal punishment be brought back. From everyone that went through the system tells me it worked. So why not bring it back.

Whether it should or it shouldn't - it simply never will be brought back. Rigorous, consistent behaviour boundaries with a clear system of reward and punishment are the way forward, I think.

I bet this kind of discrimination goes on a lot more than is first thought.

Many disabilities and learning needs often go unrecognised, and consequently children struggle needlessly through school. But congratulations to the child's grandfather, who from what I read sounds quite a tenacious character.

its not discrimination:roll:its a school taking a decision to remove an unruly behavioral problem child from a situation that affects the rest of the class.

if a child has so called behavior issues like ADHD:roll: also known as naughty child syndrome then they should be in a special needs class or school. simple.

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 11:42 ----------

But why shouldnt corporal punishment be brought back. From everyone that went through the system tells me it worked. So why not bring it back.

absolutely bring it back in schools and also in the penal and judicial system:thumbsup:

Whether it should or it shouldn't - it simply never will be brought back. Rigorous, consistent behaviour boundaries with a clear system of reward and punishment are the way forward, I think.

And parents should be penalised somehow for their childrens persistent bad behaviour, so it becomes in their interest to get involved in sorting the problems out.

I dont think financial penalties would work (i's bet most badly behaved children are from lower/no income families). But maybe parents can be made to go on courses in child management or just made to do detention with the child!

And parents should be penalised somehow for their childrens persistent bad behaviour, so it becomes in their interest to get involved in sorting the problems out.

I dont think financial penalties would work (i's bet most badly behaved children are from lower/no income families). But maybe parents can be made to go on courses in child management or just made to do detention with the child!

There should certainly be more of an onus on the parents to take responsibility. Mentioning class is always going to annoy some people but I'm going to do it anyway. Having worked in a number of schools across the city, representing the full spectrum of class/income/background etc., the strong impression I got was that the most well-adjusted children were those from middle-middle and working (and I mean working) class families. Those with the biggest behavioural problems were from benefits-claiming class, with a surprising number from the upper-middle class.

But did we have this problem when corporal punishment was around in school or when parents used to smack children to prevent them from being idiots. All this support medical help seems ridiculous. We never had this problem back in the day so why is it an issue now?

Back in the day:

The "problem" was hidden in the secondary modern schools with poor expectation and teaching standards and where most children left with no qualifications.

Some children just conveniently disappeared off the school register.

Some children just left early legally or by agreement.

Some children were sent to institutions.

Beating vulnerable children into submission never worked.

Beating 'naughty' children to conform only created 'street credibility'.

Isolating vulnerable children by teacher bullying was endemic.

Spot on. And also maybe a good hiding would solve these "behavioral difficulties".

What ? So a child has valid Adhd and other issues and to solve the problem give them a wack ?? Your saying

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 12:29 ----------

So the School has been Found to UNLAWFUL exclusion - and Some of you are saying basically its the childs fault ??

There are far too many children with "behavioural difficulties" ruining the education of other children who want to learn.

There are also lots of "professionals" eager and quick to sign off any behavioral issues as ADHD.

I do believe it exists, but I also believe its being used as a get out of jail card for the undeserving.

What ? So a child has valid Adhd and other issues and to solve the problem give them a wack ?? Your saying

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 12:29 ----------

So the School has been Found to UNLAWFUL exclusion - and Some of you are saying basically its the childs fault ??

Yep. The child/young adult and his family need to take responsibility and should have sought help for his problems earlier. A mainstream school is clearly not suitable for this child/young adult. I never said anything about "giving him a w(h)ack" though.

Edited by amazon123

Back in the day:

The "problem" was hidden in the secondary modern schools with poor expectation and teaching standards and where most children left with no qualifications.

Some children just conveniently disappeared off the school register.

Some children just left early legally or by agreement.

Some children were sent to institutions.

Beating vulnerable children into submission never worked.

Beating 'naughty' children to conform only created 'street credibility'.

Isolating vulnerable children by teacher bullying was endemic.

rubbish! back in the day children knew where the line was? yes some crossed that line but there were far fewer crossing it due to the consequences and they didnt have false labels for there behavior.

kids that didn't have any academic qualities had apprenticeships, others like myself were lazy and bored so left early by agreement to get a job which i did at 15 and never looked back and done very well thanks.

what are the institutions you speak of??

I'd never support the reintroduction of corporal punishment, it was doled out by some teachers for irrelevant reasons, just because they could.

However, I do believe families need to communicate with schools, and not have unrealistic expectations of teachers who are trying to impart knowledge to perhaps 30+ pupils. We don't know how involved the parents of the boy in question were with the school. If they'd been jointly trying to solve his issues, then he shouldn't have been excluded. The trust didn't seem to be aware that he'd been diagnosed with mental health issues, that in itself seems strange.

Without knowing all the background, how can anyone have a strong opinion? We've seen what the newspaper has chosen to print, I'd imagine there's a lot of other stuff the public won't be privy to.

I'd never support the reintroduction of corporal punishment, it was doled out by some teachers for irrelevant reasons, just because they could.

However, I do believe families need to communicate with schools, and not have unrealistic expectations of teachers who are trying to impart knowledge to perhaps 30+ pupils. We don't know how involved the parents of the boy in question were with the school. If they'd been jointly trying to solve his issues, then he shouldn't have been excluded. The trust didn't seem to be aware that he'd been diagnosed with mental health issues, that in itself seems strange.

Without knowing all the background, how can anyone have a strong opinion? We've seen what the newspaper has chosen to print, I'd imagine there's a lot of other stuff the public won't be privy to.

So you would not support corporal punishment because it was abused. Should we stop other punishments because they are abused as well. Thats the problem. Stop and search was abused so we stopped that. Corporal punishment was abused so we stopped that and the net result is problems. Surely the solution is to stop something being abused by a small minority and carry on with it.

So you would not support corporal punishment because it was abused. Should we stop other punishments because they are abused as well. Thats the problem. Stop and search was abused so we stopped that. Corporal punishment was abused so we stopped that and the net result is problems. Surely the solution is to stop something being abused by a small minority and carry on with it.

Its not going to be re-introduced so theres little point arguing about it.

If youre so desperate to give a child a good hiding theres probably places you can go on holiday to indulge yourself!