Raspberry Pi - Do you Pi?

I've just bought a vintage radio Pye,removed the huge front grill and fitted a 7 inch tv.

Then removed all the internals bits and replaced with a raspberry Pi,just something for the grandson to play old Mario stuff.

Not as modern as an arcade machine but looks nice and vintage and unique.

If you're going to be emulating Android, and I've seen Kodi mentioned, you may as well just get a decent Android box. The current ones boot far quicker than a Raspberry Pi in my experience.

If you're using Kodi for its original plan as media centre, I suppose you're OK on any platform. But if you're after a bit of streaming copyrighted content, the shift has gone heavily away from Kodi to stand alone Android apps.

That's a good point actually but then again I already own the Pi's.. If I can get an half decent media centre on a Zero W then I'd be happy since they're really cheap.

As for Kodi, it always annoyed me how everyone was marketing "Kodi boxes" when in reality Kodi were not associated with the Android box and then soon after it became illegal to sell "Kodi boxes" which made as much sense as banning the sale of any media/electronic device because as we all know Kodi and copyrighted content can be accessed from many devices these days.

I believe a lot of people have switched over to a paid IPTV service now? Personally I'm happy paying for Netlfix & Prime video.

Good evening all,

I'm looking for new ideas what to do with either one of the Zero models or 3 B+ and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with them? If so, what do you use your for/what Pi projects have you done?

if you are looking for another idea, take a look at

https://www.home-assistant.io/

The Pi makes a great Home automation platform.

I have dabbled with the Pi but other than streaming a cheap Pi camera, I haven't really settled on a use case yet.

Fortunately my TV has Plex, Amazon and Netflix plus my old WDTV Live is best for Bluray rips as it handled the lossless audio and doesn't exhibit frame-pacing/judder issues that other options seem to be prone to. (at least when using motion interpolation on the TV)

I really do need to find where I left my Pi Zero W and try to the voice recognition thing though.  The geek in my NEEDS to pretend I'm on the Enterprise telling the computer to turn my LIFX lights on and off.  None of the "off the shelf" solutions quite do it for me.

Have to say I'm mostly happy with my Vero4K, it turns out the HDMI controller in the Pi is unable to passthru lossless surround unfortunately unless you set it to decode to PCM.

I thought I'd dig out this old thread as the new Pi 4 was released recently.

Apart from the usual upgrades, the new Pi has some interesting features and the option to have 1, 2 or 4GB of DDR4 RAM

More details here

On 29/06/2019 at 07:56, zach said:

I thought I'd dig out this old thread as the new Pi 4 was released recently.

Apart from the usual upgrades, the new Pi has some interesting features and the option to have 1, 2 or 4GB of DDR4 RAM

More details here

Isn’t the biggest upgrades in the area of USB 3 implementation and FINALLY WiFi 802.11ac

There is a confirmed major issue with the PI 4 USB-C port

The problem is that the Raspberry Pi 4’s charging port shares a single resistor between two of its pins, which the official USB-C spec says should have one resistor each.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/10/20688655/raspberry-pi-4-usb-c-port-bug-e-marked-cables-audio-accessory-charging

22 hours ago, ChrisIB said:

It’s not a “major” issue. More of an oversight actually. You just need the right cables for it to work.