Raspberry Pi - Do you Pi?

Good evening all,

I'm brand new to the world of Pi and I've a few Zero W models and one Pi 3 B+. So far I have got one running RetroPie and I plan to use one for a media centre for my none smart TV.

I'm looking for new ideas what to do with either one of the Zero models or 3 B+ and I was wondering if anyone on here has experience with them? If so, what do you use your for/what Pi projects have you done?

TIA :thumbsup:

It's something i'll have a play with when I have the spare ££ to buy one, (or 3) - I have a few projects in mind for them already, just need to get the funds and buy the stuff :)

It's something i'll have a play with when I have the spare ££ to buy one, (or 3) - I have a few projects in mind for them already, just need to get the funds and buy the stuff :)

They're impressive little things aren't they.

What you got in mind?

I'd like to build a retro gaming unit around/on top of a fridge (saw it on pinterest), gaming and ice cold beers is right up my street :hihi:

I have the 3B (not the latest)

A few options really. You can install Kodi straight onto them. OSMC is a good, well maintained release.

If you run a Plex server, you can install Rasplex on them. I've not used Rasplex for a long time so it's worth having a quick read up.

It will also run a Linux OS but it's quite slow.

It takes minutes to load any of the above onto them. Best option is to have a play and see which suits you best.

EDIT: If you go for OSMC it's worth buying one of their remotes. I have a couple of them now, mainly use them on Kodi on Windows though.

Edited by zach

I have the 3B (not the latest)

A few options really. You can install Kodi straight onto them. OSMC is a good, well maintained release.

If you run a Plex server, you can install Rasplex on them. I've not used Rasplex for a long time so it's worth having a quick read up.

It will also run a Linux OS but it's quite slow.

It takes minutes to load any of the above onto them. Best option is to have a play and see which suits you best.

EDIT: If you go for OSMC it's worth buying one of their remotes. I have a couple of them now, mainly use them on Kodi on Windows though.

Thanks I'll have a look into Rasplex, I was planning on maybe installing Android emulator and adding Netflix, Prime Video and Kodi. I think there wasn't a any decent stable Andriod releases for Pi the last time I checked (I could be mistaken)

I read about the Linux OS but tbh I have next to no experience with Linux so I don't think I'll venture there just yet.

As for those remotes you're buying, couldn't you use an Android app for free either via WiFi, Bluetooth or the phones built in IR blaster?

I'm wanting to build something a bit more in depth like mechanical.. I had an idea to make one into an IP camera with mechanical dog biscuit dispenser I could control from work, I like a challenge :hihi:

I have a couple, mainly used to run piCorePlayer around the house. Or at least they will be again when I move house :)

As for those remotes you're buying, couldn't you use an Android app for free either via WiFi, Bluetooth or the phones built in IR blaster?

Kodi supports the share remote controls over HDMI standard (HDMI-CEC) so you shouldn't need a separate remote if you're using it with your TV.

If you're going to be emulating Android, and I've seen Kodi mentioned, you may as well just get a decent Android box. The current ones boot far quicker than a Raspberry Pi in my experience.

If you're using Kodi for its original plan as media centre, I suppose you're OK on any platform. But if you're after a bit of streaming copyrighted content, the shift has gone heavily away from Kodi to stand alone Android apps.

Kodi supports the share remote controls over HDMI standard (HDMI-CEC) so you shouldn't need a separate remote if you're using it with your TV.

Good point, It works fine using HDMI-CEC. I used it for a while but went back to their 6 button remote.

But if you're after a bit of streaming copyrighted content, the shift has gone heavily away from Kodi to stand alone Android apps.

Which is good, because that isn't Kodi's primary function and the way cheapo Android box manufacturers were marketing Kodi was for illegally streaming content.