Congestion charge in Sheffield

I think 'planner1' you will find that if the council are doing a scheme it will not be them who are renting them out but the electric cab company (only 1 company licensed at the moment),they have both put out feelers with the same questionaire. I have seen both.charging points in South Yorkshire are very few and very far between.The council does live in hope!

Again, why would anyone stop going to town?

The proposals don't apply to private cars and the buses / taxis who are affected may get retrofits to be compliant at zero or little cost.

The cost and convenience of travelling to town probably won't change and there will be less pollution, so it will be a more pleasant place to be.

I was replying to Ads36 who seems to want a charge on cars as wellhe said "we need to get cars out of the city centre ".. do keep up :)

If* the council do bring in a clean air zone charge, it'll be at least a couple of years till the gubbins is up in place, and working.

another year of operating on an advisory basis, then very low fees, then etc.

its years away from a point where it's a proper inconvenience to ignore/flout/incur charges. i reckon even SCC can install half a dozen charging points by then.

(*and that's 'if' it happens, i honestly don't think this council has the backbone to do anything meaningful)

I was replying to Ads36 who seems to want a charge on cars as well

less of the 'seems to' please. Cars are great, but not in a city centre - people and cars don't mix, and cars don't spend money, people do.

Edited by ads36

I think 'planner1' you will find that if the council are doing a scheme it will not be them who are renting them out but the electric cab company (only 1 company licensed at the moment),they have both put out feelers with the same questionaire. I have seen both.charging points in South Yorkshire are very few and very far between.The council does live in hope!

The Council has been given government funding to implement these measures as part of the "Early Measures Fund" for Clean Air Zones.

That includes having a fleet of 10 electric cabs to rent out and installing new rapid chargers so that they can be operated. They might well contract out the cab hire if that's the best way for them to do it. I don't know how it will be done.

The Council has been given government funding to implement these measures as part of the "Early Measures Fund" for Clean Air Zones.

That includes having a fleet of 10 electric cabs to rent out and installing new rapid chargers so that they can be operated. They might well contract out the cab hire if that's the best way for them to do it. I don't know how it will be done.

10 electric cabs? A whole 10? That's a really really good start. Really good, certainly given the size of little old Sheffield.

The last census reckoned that there are 230,000 households in Sheffield and 67% have at least one vehicle. There would be a huge number of cars to retrofit and that doesn't even take account of the number of people who drive in from outside the city.

There also isn't the kit to retrofit to all of them, in fact I'm not sure if it's even possible to retrofit your Euro 5 diesel to meet Euro 6 standards.

I don't think the DVLA would allow it (for private cars)?

10 electric cabs? A whole 10? That's a really really good start. Really good, certainly given the size of little old Sheffield.

It's a way of allowing the cab drivers to try the new technology out before they invest in it.

Sheffield cab drivers tend to buy used cabs as they are quite expensive new and many don't appear to be able to justify investing in a new one. The Council therefore have their work cut out trying to persuade them to invest in even more expensive electric cabs. A rental trial is one way of approaching it and finding out whether electric cabs are a practical proposition here.

The early measures funding that the Council have got from government isn't sufficient to retrofit all the existing cabs.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 17:21 ----------

There also isn't the kit to retrofit to all of them, in fact I'm not sure if it's even possible to retrofit your Euro 5 diesel to meet Euro 6 standards.

I don't think the DVLA would allow it (for private cars)?

Looks like they have to change the powerplant to a petrol / LPG. See: https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2016/06/02/euro-6-conversion-approved-for-black-cabs

Looks like they have to change the powerplant to a petrol / LPG. See: https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2016/06/02/euro-6-conversion-approved-for-black-cabs

That tickles me quite abit.

The solution to fix the polluting Diesel taxi's, lob a petrol/LPG engine in.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

It's funny because it actually works and LPG has been around for ages, yet it was never properly incentivised.

Burns cleaner than Petrol and you can relatively cheaply convert any old banger with a system, pretty much a perfect stop-gap till full electric systems are more common.

Edited by geared

a quick bit-o-maths :

let's say that a taxi-driver shift lasts 8 hours, from 6pm on a saturday night till 2am on the sunday morning.

(probably when they make a big chunk of their money?)

they'll pick someone up near the city centre, and take them home to woodseats, 3 miles, 15mins each way = half an hour, they'll charge £7 (for driving 6miles)

by my maths, that's £14/hour (12miles) or £120 for the night (96 miles)

now, i'm sure i've under-estimated these numbers, so i'm going to round up. (they very well may pick up a fair in the opposite direction)

£180 for the night, for driving 150 miles, in 8 hours, in which time, they'll have used 4 or 5 gallons of fuel? (25 litres, £33)

let's triple(ish) those values to get our weekly numbers.

£540 / week Gross (we can ignore this value, it's not important)

£100 / week fuel (this is the important bit)

that's £450/month on fuel, you can lease a tesla for that. which'll cover the daily-distance on one charge.

with the money our driver is currently spending on fuel, he/she can already finance a brand-new tesla.

now let's consider that i haven't deducted any money from our drivers takings for vehicle maintenance/renewal, and the electric car is already clear winner, today.

add in a (future, possible) irritating £5/day charge for an ICE vehicle to enter the clean-air-zone and taxi-drivers will be queuing up to buy electric cars. no demo required.

Edited by ads36

What a ridiculous proposal. So buses have to pay it but private cars dont. Surely buses are the solution to congestion and private cars the problem. What planet is our Council on.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/saving-lives-city-unites-around-bold-action-to-make-our-air-cleaner-and-safer/?fbclid=IwAR14mGcERSugbCASLQztdLZtPMwJQFzRLSLRs_PRaqTC2Qic0f0LvJsEh6g

Typical money making scheme from SCC.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 18:39 ----------

The majority of buses used here are not Euro 6 compliant. The number of buses involved is maybe a thousand or so overall I'd guess (First have about 500 based here). Taxis are similarly limited in number, so it's far cheaper to retrofit them than do the same for non compliant cars.

The last census reckoned that there are 230,000 households in Sheffield and 67% have at least one vehicle. There would be a huge number of cars to retrofit and that doesn't even take account of the number of people who drive in from outside the city.

I assume you are going to claim its not about SCC making money ? :roll:

My neighbour has a Nissan Leaf. Nissan claim 150 miles per charge up, but due to the hilly terrain of Sheffield the reality is 90 miles per charge. Lets develop the electric cars a bit more first before we shoot ourselves in the foot.

What a ridiculous proposal. So buses have to pay it but private cars dont. Surely buses are the solution to congestion and private cars the problem. What planet is our Council on.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/saving-lives-city-unites-around-bold-action-to-make-our-air-cleaner-and-safer/?fbclid=IwAR14mGcERSugbCASLQztdLZtPMwJQFzRLSLRs_PRaqTC2Qic0f0LvJsEh6g

I just read your link and it never once mentioned congestion, it mentioned the most pollution heavy vehicles