Congestion charge in Sheffield

But the vast majority of buses on our roads are from two or three companies. So isnt it like using a sledghammer to crack a nut. The main bus companies are already investing in greener buses anyway so why do they need to implement this charge for the one or two odd older buses.

I was behind an older bus in Leeds last week, everytime it pulled away you could taste the fumes that it kicked out. It was one of the First fleet.

Down in London a few days later it was quite impressive how I didn't see one older bus the entire time.

Seems like there's abit of a North-South divide?

.54? Did one just pass out?

Looks to me like they've put an arbitrary figure on a national number of deaths (finger in the air stuff), divided it by the population of the country then multiplied it by the number of people in Sheffield- and there's your statistic.

I die inside a little bit each time I get stuck in traffic, maybe it's the culmination of that? :hihi::hihi::hihi:

very soon the high st will be desolate of retail units, the council will be pleading for business, congestion charges are no more than revenue streams by the back door.

better to pedestrianise the whole of the centre with free shuttles or trams from outside car parks, access only for deliveries and emergency services.

congestion charge?

good, get on with it.

better bus and tram lanes while we're at it - buses and trams shouldn't have to sit it queues of cars.

Wonder how many people would stop going into town to shop? After all Meadowhall is right on the doorstep,no parking charge no "congestion" charge..

Notice that nothing is mentioned about the heavily polluting trains, some of which sit for long hours of the day with engines running but going nowhere.

The Council can't control trains, but it does control roads.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 16:19 ----------

I was behind an older bus in Leeds last week, everytime it pulled away you could taste the fumes that it kicked out. It was one of the First fleet.

Down in London a few days later it was quite impressive how I didn't see one older bus the entire time.

Seems like there's abit of a North-South divide?

London's bus services are franchised.

Transport for London let the franchises and can specify whatever vehicle emissions standards they like.

This can't be done anywhere else in he country because the legislative framework does not support it.

---------- Post added 13-11-2018 at 16:22 ----------

Wonder how many people would stop going into town to shop? After all Meadowhall is right on the doorstep,no parking charge no "congestion" charge..

Why would anyone stop?

The buses and taxis will get retrofit emissions control gear, probably at zero cost to the operator and private cars are exempt from the charge under the proposal.

and horrific congestion.

we need to get cars out of the city centre, and make it a destination that people want to visit.

the future of all city centres needs to be built on the complete package: shops, restaurants, events*, atmosphere, etc.

(*christmas market, shaff, the road race grand prix, etc.)

Edited by ads36

and horrific congestion.

I find the traffic generally OK around Meadowhall. At busy times the area near TGI Fridays up to the M1 is quite bad but not horrific.

bad enough to put me off...

But the vast majority of buses on our roads are from two or three companies. So isnt it like using a sledghammer to crack a nut. The main bus companies are already investing in greener buses anyway so why do they need to implement this charge for the one or two odd older buses. They could instead use this scheme for cars instead. Yes older buses are worse than cars but there is not that many around surely?

The majority of buses used here are not Euro 6 compliant. The number of buses involved is maybe a thousand or so overall I'd guess (First have about 500 based here). Taxis are similarly limited in number, so it's far cheaper to retrofit them than do the same for non compliant cars.

The last census reckoned that there are 230,000 households in Sheffield and 67% have at least one vehicle. There would be a huge number of cars to retrofit and that doesn't even take account of the number of people who drive in from outside the city.

Wait till we have brexited, scrap all buses, taxis and lorries over a certain age, make the companies buy British built new ones.

and horrific congestion.

we need to get cars out of the city centre, and make it a destination that people want to visit.

the future of all city centres needs to be built on the complete package: shops, restaurants, events*, atmosphere, etc.

(*christmas market, shaff, the road race grand prix, etc.)

shops and restaurants won't survive if people stop going into town.

Sheffield is by far the least congested of the last three cities I lived in.

Calling it a congestion charge is a political lie. If they called it a polution charge and admitted that they are desperate for money and want some for something that isnt going to change soon anyway I could understand it.

Correct, there is no mention of a congestion charge that I can see. Where did it come from?

shops and restaurants won't survive if people stop going into town.

Again, why would anyone stop going to town?

The proposals don't apply to private cars and the buses / taxis who are affected may get retrofits to be compliant at zero or little cost.

The cost and convenience of travelling to town probably won't change and there will be less pollution, so it will be a more pleasant place to be.