Congestion charge in Sheffield

Anyone watching the meeting with Cllr Scott at PMC?

On 11/17/2018 at 12:45 PM, Planner1 said:

Yes. The charging zone is proposed to apply to coaches. Remember the charges only apply to vehicles which are not Euro 6 compliant.

The engines on older vehicles can be retrofitted with better emission control gear to bring them up to Euro 6 standard. The proposal incudes having government funding to give grants to at least part fund the conversions. Newer coaches might already be Euro 6 compliant so would not be charged.

The coaches are going to have the same problem in every major city as they are all introducing clean air zones, so I'm not sure what "big negative consequences" you are referring to.

The emissions from these vehicles are having a negative impact on health.

Funny how your' and their answer to these ’big negative consequences' is always more and increased taxes...

Edited by 26b-6

4 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Funny how your' and their answer to these ’big negative consequences' is always more and increased taxes...

Have you an alternative?

43 minutes ago, max said:

Have you an alternative?

As this is for commercial vehicles only then why not only allow vans/lorries in at certain times..maybe before/after most of the people have arrived/left.. fewer people to be affecdted by the fumes..?

so you've got a few examples of these imaginary taxes?

when i started driving, about a thousand years ago. petrol was less than 75p/litre. it's now about £1.25. It hasn't kept up with inflation. petrol is cheaper now than i've ever seen it.

As this is for commercial vehicles only then why not only allow vans/lorries in at certain times..maybe before/after most of the people have arrived/left.. fewer people to be affecdted by the fumes..?

why not ask hauliers to stop using  old polluting vehicles in our city centres?

1) the fumes don't disappear by magic

2) restricted access hours might just cause more headaches for the drivers/companies than simply assigning their new vehicles to the Sheffield-run.

Edited by ads36

39 minutes ago, ads36 said:

so you've got a few examples of these imaginary taxes?

when i started driving, about a thousand years ago. petrol was less than 75p/litre. it's now about £1.25. It hasn't kept up with inflation. petrol is cheaper now than i've ever seen it.

why not ask hauliers to stop using  old polluting vehicles in our city centres?

1) the fumes don't disappear by magic

2) restricted access hours might just cause more headaches for the drivers/companies than simply assigning their new vehicles to the Sheffield-run.

It was about a pound a litre 4 or 5 years ago... 10 years ago it was 86p a litre https://www.racfoundation.org/data/uk-pump-prices-over-time  86p then would be 1.12 now   http://www.in2013dollars.com/2009-GBP-in-2018?amount=0.86  so it's way over inflation

Edited by truman

4 hours ago, truman said:

The proposals had been put out for consultation with transport and taxi operators. Presumably, they were offered options and this one may have been considered the least likely to impact their bottom lines.

10 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

The imperative to introduce these charging zones is coming from central government. Councils across the country are being forced to do this, despite them feeling it is a central government issue that should be addressed by them..

The aim is to reduce air pollution by forcing drivers / owners to upgrade the emission standards of their vehicles, as compliant vehicles will not pay any charge.

People are not generally going to spend money upgrading unless they can see a financial benefit. That's human nature.

It certainly is a central government failing, not just ours but at an EU level as well.

They completely dropped the ball and have pretty much forced the local councils to clear up their mess.

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

The imperative to introduce these charging zones is coming from central government. Councils across the country are being forced to do this, despite them feeling it is a central government issue that should be addressed by them..

The aim is to reduce air pollution by forcing drivers / owners to upgrade the emission standards of their vehicles, as compliant vehicles will not pay any charge.

People are not generally going to spend money upgrading unless they can see a financial benefit. That's human nature.

top bold: Nor will out of town taxis, so everyone might as well go and buy a knackered old 58 plate licensed somewhere else, and run that. More pollution.

bottom bold: losing £87.50 a week in earnings isn't going to encourage me to buy a new vehicle, it's going to to skint me, so I'll have to do more hours to make up for it. More pollution.

6 hours ago, Planner1 said:

also,

ah bless em...😪

Why is this Labour council not opposing it? It makes absolutely no sense, and anyone with any sense can see it.

Well, since it's obviously a rhetorical question, I'll answer it: It's because it's called the 'Clean Air ...' so it sounds nice to voters... especially as taxis are gonna get stung, even though we were encouraged a few years ago to buy 'eco friendly diesels'.  I'm going to be stuck for 5 years now with my car, that is better on fuel than most hybrids, and far cleaner just visibly, from my days driving around town all day for my work.

-

When questioned about the pollution around the station, it was stated by Cllr Jack Scott  'well, the non-electrification of the network has led to blah blah... rubbish. Inept decision making, poor planning, and figures pulled out of thin air... any one can see the problem here.

the pollution problem at the station can be seen in this film that I made,.. I doubt anyone will watch it all the way through. If you can manage to watch it 4 or 5 times in a row, you'll realise whether you could be a taxi driver in Sheffield 😂. The facebook and twit people win council arguments though, with thousands of posts blaming taxis. The problem here as shown is people queuing in the drop off area to pick up, hence causing a complete standstill every time a busy train arrives.

just noticed a spelling mistake in my closing conclusions :)

My spelling software doesn't work on win movie maker! 😆

3 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

top bold: Nor will out of town taxis, so everyone might as well go and buy a knackered old 58 plate licensed somewhere else, and run that. More pollution.

Nope, that won’t work.

All taxis will have to comply, not just Sheffield licensed ones.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Why is this Labour council not opposing it? It makes absolutely no sense, and anyone with any sense can see it.

Because they can’t do anything about it.

The government have made the law such that any fines incurred by them for breaches of air quality standards can be passed on to the relevant local authorities.

I think that most people can actually see that it makes eminent sense to tackle poor air quality and that those who pollute most should be the first to be targeted.

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

The problem here as shown is people queuing in the drop off area to pick up, hence causing a complete standstill every time a busy train arrives.

The problem is normally caused by the dozens of taxis queuing up and sometimes blocking the junction to the main road so no-one can get in. 

The taxi drivers often sit with engines running causing the air quality to be very poor. 

2 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

When questioned about the pollution around the station, it was stated by Cllr Jack Scott  'well, the non-electrification of the network has led to blah blah... rubbish. Inept decision making, poor planning, and figures pulled out of thin air... any one can see the problem here.

Councillor Scott is correct. Diesel trains contribute to the air quality problem in the station area.

There’s nothing that he and the Council can do about government decisions not to electrify the lines through Sheffield.

The figures they use are no plucked out of thin air, they are from government research. Do you have some better evidenced data?