Pour, Chesterfield Road

On 12/9/2018 at 8:39 PM, DerbyTup said:

Oh that would ruin it for me.  I insist on Chintz decor, preferably little numbers by William Morris.  That and a strong pale ale, over 6%, on cask (not keg) and preferably infused with tropical fruit and mosaic hops.

I tell yer...you just can't get it many places!🧐

Oh I wouldn't say I give up on beers below 6% Jemson.  I'd be rather thirsty if I did!  In fact, I had a beauty only this weekend at the Greystones pub.  I'm not a big fan of Thornbridge tbh.  I used to think Jaipur was great but I got really bored of taste to the point of not actually liking it very much now.  But occasionally I will visit the Greystones just to see if they have got anything else on that's fairly strong and NOT Jaipur or dark.  I've enjoyed the "Otter's Tears" and "Puja" (some scented strong pale beer).  But when I called the other day they had neither.  I can report though that they have improved the choice no end.  They now have 10 or 12 hand pumps on!  A much bigger selection than before.

One of these was a pale ale by Kirkstall Brewery.  Something "Extra Pale" - can't remember the name exactly.  It was 4.5% - but I ordered it because I've had their beers before and they've been really good.  It was very good - I really enjoyed it. 

Oh btw...I don't get drunk.  I will only ever have 2 pints, maybe 3 at an absolute push.  This is one of the reasons why I like a strong beer.  I like the flavours most of all, that's the main reason, but if I'm only going to allow myself 2 or 3 then I don't want to take that allowance up with weaker stuff that I don't enjoy as much.

I`m pretty similar; most of the beers I like are strong but I don`t dismiss keg. Not all kegged beers are fizzy.  I love Puja - it`s jasmine in there - and it`s one of their best imho. Recently they have done Green Mountain which I think is pretty tasty for a 4.5% er fwiw. And, at the stronger end, FoxLow is nice, an 8% amber

Edited by jemson

Cheers pal!  I am learning from you.  Although I'll probably have forgotten by the time I get to the bar!😏

I do enjoy some keg also.  They had a splendid Cloudwater beer in the Ale Club last week.  That's a mighty fine brewery - Manchester based I think?

Edited by DerbyTup

20 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Cheers pal!  I am learning from you.  Although I'll probably have forgotten by the time I get to the bar!😏

I do enjoy some keg also.  They had a splendid Cloudwater beer in the Ale Club last week.  That's a mighty fine brewery - Manchester based I think?

Cheers. That`s correct, Cloudwater are from Manchester. I like their strong dark beers but generally they produce super fruity IPA types. And they`re now doing cask too, I believe!

First time in Pour today and really liked it. Had a bit of a stroll from the Brothers Arms to The White Lion then Pour. By that time we were starving so had a pizza between us, deep fried macaroni cheese balls and smoked baked beans.

Was sorely tempted to nick the Le Creuset dish the macaroni balls came on but my better half persuaded me not to.