Pour, Chesterfield Road

Agreed with all AndyC says. For even a slow walker 10 minutes is reasonable. However if you are starting at Sheffield Train Station, I would recommend walking up to top of Howard Street alongside Hallam Uni and look for Howard Street Bus Stop (AG10) on that side of Arundel Gate (As AndyC Says)  where you can catch the 25 to Bradway or 24 to Low edges or 43 to Chesterfield  and wait 9 stops (8 for 43) this should take around 10 minutes in light traffic.

Edited by muddycoffee

1 hour ago, muddycoffee said:

Agreed with all AndyC says. For even a slow walker 10 minutes is reasonable. However if you are starting at Sheffield Train Station, I would recommend walking up to top of Howard Street alongside Hallam Uni and look for Howard Street Bus Stop (AG10) on that side of Arundel Gate (As AndyC Says)  where you can catch the 25 to Bradway or 24 to Low edges or 43 to Chesterfield  and wait 9 stops (8 for 43) this should take around 10 minutes in light traffic.

Good advice again. Thank you. We plan to go Decathlon so that would be roughly half way. With your suggestion we may now catch the bus and walk the return journey stopping off at Décathlon on the way back. Planning to take in new Video Museum

9 hours ago, Andy C said:

I wouldn't walk it in one go. Suitable staging points from the station include the Rutland and the Railway on Bramall Lane. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Railway to Pour at a reasonable pace.

As mentioned there are regular buses from Arundel Gate to Heeley (outside Ponsfords which is a couple of doors down) : 20/24/25/43/44/X17.

Cheers. Thanks for precise details. I'd not realised Heeely was so close. Not been in the Railway for years. Go in Rutland quite often

Information says opens today at 12pm. We called three times between 1pm and 2-30pm but closed, no sign of life. Gave up and went to Sheaf  and Red Lion. Won't be going again to Pour anytime soon.

10 hours ago, muddycoffee said:

Thanks for the info caught no.43 bus. Waste of time as Pour was closed.

walked back to railway station from Sheaf, easy walk took about 30 mins

cheers

Pour opens 4pm on weekdays, 12pm Sat/Sun.

Did you go in the Railway and play the retro arcade tables?

22 hours ago, Andy C said:

Pour opens 4pm on weekdays, 12pm Sat/Sun.

Did you go in the Railway and play the retro arcade tables?

Cheers Andy. Online info says open at 12pm ? Oh well, explains it I suppose. I don't know the area so had a scout round, White Lion also shut, went in Red Lion, friendly enough local, quite a big pub actually, bucks the new trend. Walked up a hill past another pub, can't remember name. I did karate in a church hall late 1970s across from pub. Found the Sheaf and had a drink in there. Looks a very nice pub and great beer. A bit too hipsterish and trendy for my taste. Didn't know about the Railway, would have been worth knowing about the retro arcade tables. Walked back to Railway station from Sheaf, took about 30 minutes.

cheers

On 11/30/2018 at 5:01 PM, Ridgewalk said:

Information says opens today at 12pm. 

Where does it say that Ridgewalk? Facebook page clearly states 4pm on Friday.

4 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Cheers Andy. Online info says open at 12pm ? Oh well, explains it I suppose. I don't know the area so had a scout round, White Lion also shut, went in Red Lion, friendly enough local, quite a big pub actually, bucks the new trend. Walked up a hill past another pub, can't remember name. I did karate in a church hall late 1970s across from pub. Found the Sheaf and had a drink in there. Looks a very nice pub and great beer. A bit too hipsterish and trendy for my taste. Didn't know about the Railway, would have been worth knowing about the retro arcade tables. Walked back to Railway station from Sheaf, took about 30 minutes.

The Brothers Arms (ex Shakespeare). Another excellent Heeley pub.

On 13 November 2018 at 3:57 PM, helloitsonly said:

last thing i want while having a beer! smelly yapping barking things, bloody waterbowls all over, leave them at home or take em to the park.

Totaly agree.

Edited by scargill

I went in a while ago but made the mistake of going in before 6pm... a chorus of dogs yowling and a rabble of children with their yummy mummys and beardie daddys were noisily devouring pizzas .. not exactly conducive to a quiet drink ... fortunately I waited it out and after about 6pm when the parent types dragged their yowling brats and animals home it sort of quitened down and a more sophisticated night crowd started to arrive.

I tried the pizza. I must say it was nice but very expensive at 12 quid. If you were sharing with a partner you are effectively paying 6 quid for about 3 slices. The veggie ones are nice and spicy - green or red chilli.

I couldnt really say much on the beer - generic real ale stuff I'm told it rotates regularly.

Nice surroundings but was surprised how little they changed the layout and decor since it was Luna Rossa restaurant.

Maybe it will grow and shape into a really good real ale place in due course and its a good new addition to the Heeley scene rather than a closed abandoned restaurant.....

Went in Saturday evening at 8.45pm. Had quite a few mums/dads coming in with prams and young children. Felt this was innappropriate at this time of day. Maybe up to 7pm is OK, but not later. 

Had a pint of Abbeydale Serenity, which was quite nice but none of the other beers appealed. Nice enough place but there are more appealing watering holes in Heeley. 

On 11/16/2018 at 11:30 AM, SteelCityAle said:

The décor is possibly not what I'd have chosen, but then few places are! But it's a pretty low-ranking (possibly zero ranking) factor for me

Oh that would ruin it for me.  I insist on Chintz decor, preferably little numbers by William Morris.  That and a strong pale ale, over 6%, on cask (not keg) and preferably infused with tropical fruit and mosaic hops.

I tell yer...you just can't get it many places!🧐

On 11/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, jemson said:

Yeah DT. I know you have written numerous times about only enjoying strong pale beers of a specific percentage. In general, I`m with you on that but I don`t give up on beers below 6%; there are many that are super hoppy or fruit bombs along similar lines as the bigger ABVs but they don`t get you drunk as quickly.

I didn`t get to Pour last night but heard positive things. Also I know that they have a few Torrside on (possibly my favourite brewery) and their Monsters are STRONG! :hihi: Have you tried their Imperial Blonde? :o

Oh I wouldn't say I give up on beers below 6% Jemson.  I'd be rather thirsty if I did!  In fact, I had a beauty only this weekend at the Greystones pub.  I'm not a big fan of Thornbridge tbh.  I used to think Jaipur was great but I got really bored of taste to the point of not actually liking it very much now.  But occasionally I will visit the Greystones just to see if they have got anything else on that's fairly strong and NOT Jaipur or dark.  I've enjoyed the "Otter's Tears" and "Puja" (some scented strong pale beer).  But when I called the other day they had neither.  I can report though that they have improved the choice no end.  They now have 10 or 12 hand pumps on!  A much bigger selection than before.

One of these was a pale ale by Kirkstall Brewery.  Something "Extra Pale" - can't remember the name exactly.  It was 4.5% - but I ordered it because I've had their beers before and they've been really good.  It was very good - I really enjoyed it. 

Oh btw...I don't get drunk.  I will only ever have 2 pints, maybe 3 at an absolute push.  This is one of the reasons why I like a strong beer.  I like the flavours most of all, that's the main reason, but if I'm only going to allow myself 2 or 3 then I don't want to take that allowance up with weaker stuff that I don't enjoy as much.

Edited by DerbyTup

On 12/2/2018 at 1:44 PM, whitelion said:

Where does it say that Ridgewalk? Facebook page clearly states 4pm on Friday.

Hi white lion. Sorry about the late reply. I honestly couldn't tell you. I just google stuff and go with what comes up. My mistake. Incidentally the White Lion was closed as well, hence the visit to the Red Lion

On 12/2/2018 at 2:00 PM, horribleblob said:

The Brothers Arms (ex Shakespeare). Another excellent Heeley pub.

Shakespeare. That was it back in the day. Thinking about it, would have been around 1979-80 ish. Church hall we trained in had bowls and buckets collecting water everywhere, due to ceiling leaks.