Pour, Chesterfield Road

Is it a non selling point? On what grounds? Just curious.

It's possibly a non-selling point, it depends on the owners more than the dogs.

I think it's one thing to be able to pop in for a pint somewhere whilst out walking the dog, but it's another thing if it turns the pub into a mongrel edition of Crufts and you can't get to the bar for the bloody things sprawled all over the place - and there is frequent barking and snarling and snapping going on around you whilst you're just there for a quiet drink.

The Sheaf View, in my humble opinion, is one of Sheffield's finest pubs for beer, but it attracts a bit of an odd crowd of folks who insist on bringing dogs along with them and it turns into a bit of a zoo at times.

---------- Post added 16-11-2018 at 07:02 ----------

Yes! Getting really good down there for beer. And Tramshed has a reyt selection too!

You're talking "keg" right, not "cask"?

I think Sheffield is great for beer but I do wish it wasn't so rare and unusual to find a pub that regularly has strong beers on cask. Sometimes I end up touring around 4 or 5 pubs until I find one that has a pale ale of 6% or more. Sometimes I don't find one at all.

I work down south quite regularly. One of the pubs I visit has it all very nicely laid out. About 12 hand pumps and they start at one end with session beers, of 3% or so - and go up incrementally in terms of strength as you move along the bar. Last week they had a 10% cask ale on - "Fetch me the Mallet" - I think it's a Five Towns Brewery beer (Wakefield).

They'll always have a range from 3%-7% or 8% on cask. Sure, the high % beers don't sell as fast as the other stuff, but then again they don't expect them to and therefore don't order large quantities.

In addition to that, they've got about 8 keg beers, for those who like their beer cold and fizzy.

Everyone is happy!

Yeah DT. I know you have written numerous times about only enjoying strong pale beers of a specific percentage. In general, I`m with you on that but I don`t give up on beers below 6%; there are many that are super hoppy or fruit bombs along similar lines as the bigger ABVs but they don`t get you drunk as quickly.

I didn`t get to Pour last night but heard positive things. Also I know that they have a few Torrside on (possibly my favourite brewery) and their Monsters are STRONG! :hihi: Have you tried their Imperial Blonde? :o

Went to Pour last night, really like it (had a preview a couple of weeks ago, but no beer then!). Nice atmosphere, not too many dogs ;), only had a sample of the veggie pizza but it was good, didn't try the vegan pizza. Beerwise a good selection, 8 taps with a range of styles including IPAs, imperial stout, a passionfruit pale and an American sour. All keg, you'll have to go next door for a cask fix! Small but well chosen selection of rum, whisky and gin

It sounds like a good concept and one that will do well in that part of town as there's been a boom of bars and restaurants offering something a bit niche and trendy. I can't say I'm massively impressed with the makeover though. It looks like....a dated Italian restaurant, which is what it was...

The décor is possibly not what I'd have chosen, but then few places are! But it's a pretty low-ranking (possibly zero ranking) factor for me

The décor is possibly not what I'd have chosen, but then few places are! But it's a pretty low-ranking (possibly zero ranking) factor for me

Interesting. I prefer the decor of a place I spend time to be original and distinctive and to make to feel comfortable. For instance, Tramshed, Tramshed Kitchen, Create Coffee and Bhaji Shack up the road have been really well designed and furnished and are places I like to spend time. Not knocking the quality of the products they're selling at Pour, though. I hope it does well.

How would you get there by bus or tram ?  

Cheers

Hi admin 

i asked a specific question about getting to Pour by public transport, not about the bar itself.

Im just thinking I might not get a response by moving the message to here.

I may be wrong though

cheers

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

How would you get there by bus or tram ?  

Cheers

The Venue is next to the White Lion Pub on London road at Heeley Bottom. There are no Trams in the vicinity, however the road is the Main A61 linking Sheffield to Chesterfield. It is Easily walkable from Bramall Lane and the following busses stop outside;  43 to Hallowes, 20 to Hemsworth, 25 to Bradway, x17 to Chesterfield, 24 to Low Edges, 44 to Chesterfield

Incidentally there is plenty of insurance if Pour is not exactly to your taste as there are 4 excellent pubs very close by. The White Lion, The Crown, The Brother's Arms (originally The Old Shakespeare) and The Sheaf View. All four of these pubs have a great range of real ales. It is well worth a night (or afternoon) out just to visit this area.

Thanks for both replies muddycoffee, it sounds like a very interesting area. I'm familiar with Bramall Lane, being a Blade and all that, but I approach from the town side and have not been to Heeley since Callaghan was PM 😀. 

I was planning public transport but you make it seem within walking distance of the Blades ground. How long would you estimate walking from the railway station ?

11 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

I wouldn't walk it in one go. Suitable staging points from the station include the Rutland and the Railway on Bramall Lane. It is about a 10 minute walk from the Railway to Pour at a reasonable pace.

As mentioned there are regular buses from Arundel Gate to Heeley (outside Ponsfords which is a couple of doors down) : 20/24/25/43/44/X17.

Thanks for both replies muddycoffee, it sounds like a very interesting area. I'm familiar with Bramall Lane, being a Blade and all that, but I approach from the town side and have not been to Heeley since Callaghan was PM 😀. 

I was planning public transport but you make it seem within walking distance of the Blades ground. How long would you estimate walking from the railway station ?

Edited by Andy C