Dam Flask - low water levels

has this caused any problem to the fish,are the fishermen still fishing,good for fishermen to see what its like ,before it fills up again

"Abandoned British village that was flooded to make way for a reservoir in 1940s eerily resurfaces."

Good story and pictures, but it seems they are 19 years old.

Noticed that they intended 'refilling from nearby reservoirs', which made me think hardly!

Derwent & Howden seem lower. Howden in the early summer was very low in comparison.

Really surprised there has been no water panic this year!

Edited by FORE
wanted to quote last entry

"Abandoned British village that was flooded to make way for a reservoir in 1940s eerily resurfaces."

Good story and pictures, but it seems they are 19 years old.

Noticed that they intended 'refilling from nearby reservoirs', which made me think hardly!

Derwent & Howden seem lower. Howden in the early summer was very low in comparison.

Really surprised there has been no water panic this year!

Any 'panic' will be caused by individuals who cry 'panic'.

For example the supply to Sheffield is not greatly effected by the dams you have mentioned.

As they primarily supply the East Midlands, the Severn Trent supply company has other 'fuller' resources they can switch to.

All reservoirs can be used to control river flooding. It is not good practice to have full reservoirs in the autumn. Good practice is managing all the resources so that the reservoirs are full in the spring/early summer. If they are not then the level of concern increases- certainly not 'panic'.

I was on the M62 last weekend. That reservoir you can see by the farm in the middle of the carriageways was extremely low, the lowest I've ever seen it.

Edited by alchresearch

Where is the best place to park up to see the exposed ruins at Ladybower?

Park on the bridge over the ladybower, walk up the side of the Derwent (this is where the ruins are).  There are paths on both sides, but the Sheffield side might be slightly more accessible.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Park on the bridge over the ladybower, walk up the side of the Derwent (this is where the ruins are).  There are paths on both sides, but the Sheffield side might be slightly more accessible.

I went last Sunday, beautiful sunny day I will admit, it was packed solid and I had difficulty parking.. probably better midweek.

Guest makapaka

There’s a report on bbc news that people are scratching their name into walls and removing bits of stone from the ruins. 

25 minutes ago, makapaka said:

There’s a report on bbc news that people are scratching their name into walls and removing bits of stone from the ruins. 

Just seen that Maka.  Can"t really understand it, it says people are vandalising it.. how can you vandalise something that's derelict and under the water 99% of the time.

6 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

Many years ago you could see the church steeple appear when the water was low, this drew crowds of people to the area, and caused congestion on the roads, so the authorities decided to blow the steeple up.. and you call these people scum.