Dam Flask - low water levels

What is the water in Damflask and Lady Bower used for? Flushing, industry etc?

Thanks in advance

The Derwent Valley Waterboard dams were designed to supply Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Sheffield. They are now operated by Severn Trent. Yorkshire Water has(d) a right to abstract a 10% share which they normally sell to Severn Trent, the connecting tunnel is maintained but I don't know the current situation with the new works at Rivelin.

Yes, and Broomhead. It's been getting lower and lower, despite the drought being over for quite a while now. I wonder if they are letting them both drain and if it's got something to do with the work they're doing on More Hall dam?

I wouldn't think that they are letting Broomhead drain as that is for drinking water.

I wouldn't think that they are letting Broomhead drain as that is for drinking water.

Wonder if it's still the after effects of such a dry summer then? I've never seen it so low, and it's still dropping.

Wonder if it's still the after effects of such a dry summer then? I've never seen it so low, and it's still dropping.

Fall has been relatively dry as well. Had some rain this fall but overall less than usual. Just one little storm (wind), nothing major so far

I walked across the bottom of the Derwent at the weekend. Muddy, but higher up it's possible to cross from one side to the other, having to only hop over about 2 feet of running water.

The old village is completely exposed (the rubble of the old village I should say).

Not surprised these dams have low water levels, we have"nt had any proper rain all year, the soil in my borders is bone dry at this time of the year, I"m even still mowing the garden, the weather at the moment is unbelievable, sunny, warm, dry.. if we don"t get some substantial rain over the winter I think we will have problems next year.

I walked across the bottom of the Derwent at the weekend. Muddy, but higher up it's possible to cross from one side to the other, having to only hop over about 2 feet of running water.

The old village is completely exposed (the rubble of the old village I should say).

how do you find the old village? we were at the top of Win Hill at the weekend, we were looking down at the dams, would we have been far away?

how do you find the old village? we were at the top of Win Hill at the weekend, we were looking down at the dams, would we have been far away?

I would have thought that from Win hill the derwent ruins would not be visible. They would be hidden by Crook Hill.

Best place to view is from the road to derwent dam. The road swings gently to the left about half way to Fairholmes. There's a car park on the left, well in use at the moment as everyone is interested!

I would have thought that from Win hill the derwent ruins would not be visible. They would be hidden by Crook Hill.

Best place to view is from the road to derwent dam. The road swings gently to the left about half way to Fairholmes. There's a car park on the left, well in use at the moment as everyone is interested!

Thanks, i will incorporate that into my walk at the weekend :)

Thanks, i will incorporate that into my walk at the weekend :)

watch the forecast for possibility of fog - no fun on top when there's nowt to see!

We dipped out from Kinder yesterday because of winds. Have penciled in for Friday but may be foggy.

The Derwent Valley Waterboard dams were designed to supply Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Sheffield. They are now operated by Severn Trent. Yorkshire Water has(d) a right to abstract a 10% share which they normally sell to Severn Trent, the connecting tunnel is maintained but I don't know the current situation with the new works at Rivelin.

Thank you Annie and Dars!

If the Flask drops any lower I might be able to retrieve some of the feeders i've lost over the years, not to mention a couple of plke lures.