Using a Apple TV box

I have a ipad air 2 and watch some live tv programs on it I have been told about the Apple tv box so I can watch the programs on my tv, I did try setting it up with my Chromecast but it wasn't compatible. Does anyone use one of these boxes and would recommend them? Thanks for any info. Alan.

Update. It won't do what I wanted.

Edited by alan p
Question answered.

You'll tend to find a lot of Apple stuff isn't compatible with Android, they're rivals so it wouldn't be profitable to work together :(

I hear great things about those Roku sticks though.

Might be worth looking into?

Hello Pyrotequila thanks for getting back to me, I have Sky on my tv downstairs and Sky Go on my ipad I wanted to get it on my tv in th bedroom but it looks like I will have to get multiroom instead. If it was a Android tablet I could do it with a cable but not with the ipad.Alan.

I just dug out my Apple TV 3...I think (first black puck type job)

It had now TV on there. I couldn't work out how to cast the picture from the iPad to the Apple TV, or even if it does that. I could possibly do it but my ipad is little more than a web browser for me. I doubt I use 10% of what it can do.

I found the Apple TV behind my daughters TV. It's the first time in over a year I've even looked at it. If you wish to try it, let me know. You can take it home and have a play. Just pop it back when you're ready.

I believe the newer ones have far more options (4th gen?)

We've got a 4th Gen Apple TV and 4th Gen 4K Apple TV. They're great for buying movies. You often find movies on sale for <£4 and unlike everyone else, when the 4k update comes out you get a free upgrade.

Unfortunately you can't cast some apps like Sky/BT/etc (you can pay extra to cast BT Sport, but it looks terrible, I wouldn't bother).

The easiest way to get Sky on an additional TV without Sky Q/multiroom is to to pay for Sky Go (or get it free from Sky VIP if eligible) and stream it to a TV from a laptop with HDMI.

We've got a 4th Gen Apple TV and 4th Gen 4K Apple TV. They're great for buying movies. You often find movies on sale for <£4 and unlike everyone else, when the 4k update comes out you get a free upgrade.

Unfortunately you can't cast some apps like Sky/BT/etc (you can pay extra to cast BT Sport, but it looks terrible, I wouldn't bother).

The easiest way to get Sky on an additional TV without Sky Q/multiroom is to to pay for Sky Go (or get it free from Sky VIP if eligible) and stream it to a TV from a laptop with HDMI.

I agree that a PC/Laptop is the best option. I was looking on Amazon at the little Atom powered PC's for about £100. I was pondering one for my Mum as she mainly uses Netflix and Amazon. Although quite low powered, they should cope with films ok (1080p) I use a HP 800 G2 6th Gen i5 as my bedroom HTPC. If you look on Ebay, you might get one for the right money.

Thank you all for the help given its much appreciated. I have decided to get multiroom installed.Thanks again Alan.